"SupermealX, India’s Soylent, May Be Nutritious, but Will It Make the World a Better Place?"

From The New York Times:

As a result, SupermealX in India, at 290 rupees a 500-milliliter meal (about $4.60 a pint), is almost as expensive as Soylent is in the United States.

The Indian government spends about 3 to 4.5 rupees per lunch in the midday meal program that it provides to millions of poor schoolchildren.

I understand later in the article it suggests he doing the Toms Shoe buy-one-give-one deal with his product, but is this really being pitched as a million person solution at 64+ times the cost of the current solution? The numbers are burning my eyes.

To be fair, the population of India is around 1.3 billion people. (about four times the population of the United States) It is likely that there are a large amount who could afford the product. Soylent is currently not affordable for the extremely poor, either.

Looks like Soylent needs to start shipping to India.

Soylent isn’t nearly 64 times the alternative, heck, a subscription of the powder is less than twice the average supplemental nutrition assistance program check per month.

As a result, SupermealX in India, at 290 rupees a 500-milliliter meal (about $4.60 a pint), is almost as expensive as Soylent is in the United States.

Isn’t that more expensive than Soylent, even 2.0? $4.60 a pint (473 ml, unknown (500?) calories). Soylent 2.0 is $2.42-2.83 per 400 calories (414 ml), assuming no coupon. Soylent 1.5 is even cheaper.

I checked their website and it’s ten bags for about $44.45, but each bag is only 125 g (so 1.25 kg for $44.45). Each Soylent 1.5 bag is 460 g, seven bags are $54-64 (so 3.22 kg for $54-64). Plus SupermealX looks like a preorder: “SHIPS WITHIN 60 DAYS.” I also couldn’t find a list of ingredients or nutrition facts anywhere on their website, which doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Comes with a vortex blender…

well that’s 1 thing they do better then Soylent.

True. There are certainly poorer people in India than the U.S. I was only trying to say that there are also a lot more people than the U.S. Given that there are 4 times as many people, and their economy is improving, it is very likely that there will be more people in India overall than the U.S. overall that can afford the product. If only 25% of their population could afford the product, that would still be as many as the entire population of the U.S. (and obviously, not everyone in the U.S. can afford the product)

According to the IMF, GDP per capita adjusted for PPP in the US is $54,370 (current international dollars). In India it is $5,808. Americans have a really tough time understanding how poor these other countries are, all I was trying it get across was that this is a ridiculous price for a product in India. Maybe he’ll find a niche and make a little pile of money for himself, but a year’s supply of his food costs ($4.60 * 4 * 365 = $6,716) 116% of the average national income.

It would be equivalent of Rosa Labs charging $172.25 per day of Soylent.

India’s 1% is 12.5 million people.

Ran across another story about SupermealX: “Dinner in a glass: Why is there a growing interest in Soylent?