Suspending Oat Flour

I’m currently making a macro-only version soylent; Whey, Oat flour, Maltodextrin, and Olive Oil, in a ratio of 5:3:2:2 respectively (don’t worry it’s for a single meal a day replacement). I’m having issues with the oat flour constantly settling to the bottom of it pretty much immediately.

I haven’t noticed it mentioned any where else in the fourm, but is anyone else having this issue? Is there a solution for it/an I missing a micro that keeps with the suspension, or do we just deal with it and keep shaking?

Thanks!

That’s the very reason I just switched carb sources. I know oat flour (or whole oat powder as I was using) is better for you, but there’s nothing I could do to get it to integrate with the water, so I switched to straight maltodextrin until I can research something better. Try as I might, I couldn’t get past the texture and no amount of blending or watering-down would make it better. If you find an answer I’d be much obliged.

Guar gum does a pretty good job of thickening the liquid and suspending small particles such as oat flour. Some things to look out for:

• You don’t need a lot. If your liquid is watery, I would start with about 1g per L, less if your liquid is already somewhat thick. Adding too much can result in an overly-thick, slimy texture.
  • You probably need to use a blender, otherwise it can clump up pretty easily.
  • It makes the mix feel more filling. This may be a positive or negative depending on your goals and needs.
  • I’ve found that it makes the mix taste more bland, and slightly starchy.

Thanks @mathfarmer, I was hoping someone with some molecular gastronomy suggestion would pop in. Perhaps I’ll try that.

I completely forgot about this.
To get a smooth mix and prevent the oat powder from separating you need an emulsifier.
This is why Rob is using Lecithine in official Soylent, I think.

Ah okay, I was unclear on whether they had the same effect or not. I’ll give it a try.

can it be replaced with a gluten free flour like rice or buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth… ?