Sweet Potato Flour?

Has anyone considered and used/rejected sweet potato flour as a source for carbs and fiber? Anyone feel like offering a criticism? I am not sure what kind of carb it is, is it something that would hit the blood stream fast or slow? I can’t use oat powder, or many of the other commonly used substitutes.

As an aside, I thought that how fast or slow sugars hit your blood was also determined by how much fat/fiber was also in the food. So can’t that be regulated by those factors in soylent? (I’m trying to decide how I want to consume my soylent - 3 or 4 portions, or more - right now, I have a lot of maltodextrin in my recipe and I’ve read that that’s not good for fewer portions?)

Here is the nutritional profile that I could find for sweet potato flour. I know that there are more micronutrients in it than this is showing, but I’ve yet to be able to find a more complete breakdown. I’m working on it.
sweet potato flour nutrition

Isn’t that expensive? Sweet potatoes aren’t cheap at all.

Sweet potatoes have a very low glycemic index. It would be a good choice if it was affordable. Do some research and let us know what you find out.

They’re cheap where I live, as long as you get them canned.

Canned? Never even heard of that.

Canning has been around since Napoleon.
Canned yams or canned sweet potatoes (not at all the same thing even if they look similar to the USA’nian eye) are readily available but they may contain added sugar.

I’ve obviously heard about canning, I had never heard of canned sweet potato.

If you have never experienced a “traditional American Thanksgiving” then you probably haven’t seen canned yams. They’re basically peeled yams, cut into large-ish chunks, and added to a can until it meets a minimum weight. Water and possibly corn syrup or other sugar is added, then the can is sealed and autoclaved. The autoclave process sterilizes and overcooks the yams, forcing about half the vitamins and/or minerals into the surrounding liquid, which is normally discarded.

In a traditional Thanksgiving recipe, the yams are drained, laid into a baking pan one layer deep, covered in butter and brown sugar and possibly marshmallows, and baked for about 20-150 minutes at about 325.

They are nasty. Although doing something similar with fresh yams is pretty tasty, it’s still a sugar gut bomb.

And thus you turned to Soylent. Right?

Nah. Soylent DIY is a reaction to spending between $10 and $25 a day on food and still not eating a balanced diet.

Keep in mind they are insanely high in vitamin A btw.

The primary source of Vit. A in yams is as beta carotene, which does not carry risk of overdose.
28g of yam contains 1.7 mcg (.0000017 g) of retinol-equivalent, and 20.4 mcg (.0000204 g) of beta carotene. That comes out to about 1% of the DV for Vit.A.

… The yams I have would have 39% of your DV of Vitamin A in a 28g serving. Reading off the label.

And it says 100% as beta-carotene so yeah you’re right no risk of overdose, didn’t think of that.

Double-check that - the DV is given in IU, and the values for nutrients are given in micrograms. There is a conversion factor for vitamin A from micrograms to IU. Also, the Nutrientdata site gives it as 1% of DV, which is where I got that number.

Well, this just highlights the problem of not getting nutritional information directly from the manufacturer, then.

hey! that might avoid the phytic acid problem as well

Sweet potatos are high in lots and lots of micronutrients though so, keep that in mind

There is no more complete nutritional data that I can find just hanging out on the internet, so I’m going to have to contact a few manufacturers and see if they can send me something. I’m also a little confused because I have found “Sweet potato powder” and “Sweet potato flour” I’m not sure what the difference is.

Avoiding phytic acid is my main goal. I know, people soak their grains and cook them…but all the research that I’ve done so far insinuates that that does not reduce much of the phytic acid in oats specifically. What has been suggested instead is to mix oats with a grain that has more phytase in it, that will work to break down the phytic acid. People who are healthy probably won’t have an issue with the amount of phytic acid in their recipes, or @Rob’s, but I am not healthy. I have seen it specifically suggested that if you have any issues with your teeth, which I do, to avoid foods with any phytic acid in them.

So I started looking for food powders and came across sweet potato flour, which I didn’t even know was a thing. I’ll have to see once I get micronutrient data how it works out. It is a great deal more expensive than oats, but I’m kind of committed to avoiding foods/ingredients that won’t work to promote my health, so at least in the beginning, I might have to do spend the money. It’s not going to be my only source of carbs, so I may not have to use much.

I’ve also seen regular potato flour, which the company claims is made from dehydrated potatoes. I’m not sure of the glycemic load of white potatoes (higher I think because less fiber) But, if that’s a viable source, that’s super cheap and could be made at home (if it worked out to be cheaper) by grinding dehydrated mashed potatoes (assuming no other ingredients)

I also just came across sweet potato starch. Can someone educate me on the difference here? Starch would be completely divorced from the fiber, so higher glycemic load? Definitely not the same micronutrient profile, which could be good or bad depending on the recipe. I may need it to have less micronutrients.

Not sure at all about the dependability of this first article (her comments about why it could be considered a weight loss ingredient were kinda ridiculous), maybe someone who knows more about carbohydrates could comment - it tells me that the carbs in sweet potato starch are still complex carbs, so slow absorbing. It also gives nutrition facts, but cites no sources so I’m not sure I’d trust it. Sweet potato starch is a lot cheaper than flour or “powder” whatever that is.

The second link describes how potato starch is made and the differences between starch and flour. I was thinking starch would make the drink too thick, considering that starches are used as thickeners in gravies/soups - but apparently, starch only absorbs water under heat…so it’s finer than flour (might avoid floury taste and wouldn’t thicken as much as a flour) and apparently has less taste than flour. (The article is for white potato starch, but I’d imagine the same thing is true for sweet potato starch)

Not sure how interested anyone else is in this, but I figured I’d share info as I found it.

Flour and powder are interchangeable terms (oat powder is oat flour etc) . Im not sure what might be in the starch hesides the complex carbs.

After a little more reading, I think there’s a bigger difference. Flour seems to be made from things that are ground, or dried and then ground - the powders (and there are a lot of food powders out there if anyone might be interested in adding them to their drinks for whatever reason, just google food powder) are made using a spray method where the food is sprayed into particles which dry, thus forming a powder. I have no idea if the nutrients vary between the two processes.