Switching from soylent.me to soylent.com

Apparently, Soylent acquired the domain soylent.com. There might be a switch coming soon:
http://dnsr.com/soylent-acquires-soylent-dot-com

The Whois DNS entry lists the last info change date as 2015-02-26, so presumably that is the date the acquisition was made.

Note: If you go to soylent.com right now, you will see a very, very odd video, but no other content.

EDIT: It appears that the content has been changed to an actual website now.

Questions that immediately come to mind:

1. How much did they spend on this domain? (Unlikely to ever be disclosed.)
  2. Will they switch to the new domain?
  3. If so, when will the switch occur?
  4. How will this affect the forums? (blog, etc.)
  5. Who made the crazy cat-farting-a-rainbow video?

Nyan Cat is an old meme. If that actually is Soylent’s work (and not someone else buying the domain under the guise of Rosa Labs), I’m disappointed in them.

They probably haven’t changed the nameservers yet in which case that video is from the previous owner and has nothing to do with Soylent.

In the first link about the acquisition, they have a screenshot of the previous version of the site.

If you use the Wayback Machine, you can see a version of what it looked like before acquisition: https://web.archive.org/web/20150220152053/http://www.soylent.com/
(This was the last archive on February 20, 2015, so presumably the Nyan Cat video could have been uploaded before the February 26 acquisition by Soylent, but that seems unlikely.)

In other words, it is most likely the work of the new owners of the site.

Ah… I hadn’t actually read the article. So yeah could be someone just grabbed that vid quickly as temp content.

Yes, I assume it is likely just a temporary placeholder.

Just as an update, it appears that soylent.com has actual content now.

I want to congratulate the Rob and the Soylent team on successfully maneuvering through the murky world of “.com” extension domain registrations to acquire Soylent.com!

It’s a small thing that I feel is actually a big thing.

Everything in the dictionary and in pop culture is seemingly reserved with a “.com” on the end of it and is either being actively used or being passively sat-on.

I looked up “.me” on Wikipedia, and it’s a country domain for Montenegro (?), which I suppose was considered useful as a .com alternative for certain situations, similar to the Tuvalu Islands getting .tv and marketing that useful extension to the television industry.

But .com is the original and dominant domain extension, and it feels great to log onto Soylent.com instead of the domain for the historic country of Montenegro, though it is apparently a really beautiful country and worth visiting some day. “Montenegro: meaning “Black Mountain”, is a country in Southeastern Europe. It has a coast on the Adriatic Sea to the south-west and is bordered by Croatia to the west, Bosnia and Herzegovina to the northwest, Serbia to the northeast, and Albania to the south-east. Its capital and largest city is Podgorica…”