Takeya pitcher cleaning

Just curious… How often do you folks clean the Takeya Soylent pitcher with soap?
For a long while now I’ve been disassembling everything and washing with soap before every daily prep… But on a 5 day trip a few weeks back I just rinsed the individual pieces before prep and that seemed to go fine. Now I’m wondering if I was too anal in the early days so I’m just doing the full soap routine every 3 or 4 days and just disassembling/rinsing the others… How often do you all clean with soap?

I can’t stand the Takeya pitcher; I currently use it to store random screws in, in my garage.

The pitcher I do use, I wash with soap once a week. (I use Soylent for 4 days a week)

I’ve always washed them after each use, but I have several and just stick them in the dishwasher until it’s full enough of pitchers and glasses to run.

I clean with soap if it starts being difficult to get the grains out with hot water, usually once a week/if I keep a pitcher for 3 days. Mine is shorter with a wider lid and no fiddly parts: http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-2121-0005-Wide-Mouth-Bottle-Polypropylene/dp/B003OBYW5G/

I wash it by hand with hot water and soap after every use.

Me too. I don’t see why not to use soap daily; it takes a few seconds extra. I shake the pitcher with warm soapy water in it, then disassemble the pitcher and rinse the suds out. Easy-peasy.

Every time I empty the Takeya, I fill it with hot soapy water, shake hard, then repeat a couple times with tap water to rinse it out.

I never bother to disassemble it or wash the parts separately. When it won’t seal properly I’ll take the gasket off the lid and clean it and the slot it fits into, but that’s as far as I go on cleaning separate parts.

I’ve never had a problem with this cleaning system.

It usually depends. I normally make a full pitcher at night and then in the morning pour out the contents into different containers that I will use for my meals throughout the day. I then put hot water in the pitcher and shake hard and repeat about two times and let it dry. Then in the evening I start the process again.

I may wash the pitcher in the dishwasher once every week or two. The important thing is to make sure you get the parts that aren’t included in the rinse shake I mentioned above cleaned out. It may involve rinsing with hot water and then wiping with a paper towel.

I will mention that I have a small water cooler that has a hot spigot and that gives me a hot water source hotter than you can get from the sink normally.

I hand wash it with soap every batch, mostly because i did that with all the other dishes i used, but also i find it’s easier to wipe out the container then rinse it out (particularly the threads), and if i’m wiping, i might as well wipe with soap.

It’s probably fine to do it less often, but consider your source of water. Mine is fairly high in chlorine, so it disinfects reasonably well. It also means my soylent can last in the fridge longer then 2 days. Of course, it’s not the healthiest or tastiest thing for you either.

It’s not the greatest pitcher, but i do like that it’s tall and narrow. It allows for easier soylent measurements and fit’s well into my fridge. Of course, it wouldn’t of fit well in my previous fridge, so…

My concern with the otherwise excellent Takeya pitcher was over time the clear plastic can scratch, trapping bacteria.

On a thread about what we might like to see the Soylent brand applied to, another user posted this glass pitcher: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversGlass?productId=10007345&N=78635

It made sense to me, so I got one and love it. The plastic lid claims to be OK for dishwashers, but I prefer to hand wash, because I don’t want to thermal cycle it. The glass main pitcher is of course fine for harsh cleaning including steel wool, Scotchbrite sponges and dishwashers.

I don’t use soap. Ever.

I recognize I’m not smart. But I also recognize I am lazy.

I find that if I rinse the pitcher with hot water immediately after emptying, it is clean enough for me. If there is any powder remnants (on the pitcher, my HydroFlask, and my drinking glass), I have a tiny sponge I have dedicated just for Soylent.

I’ve been considering one of these, but it seems like the weight of it would make vigorous shaking a bit difficult. How do you find it?

It’s a two-handed shake for sure, but then again two liters of Soylent isn’t that light to begin with; you’re just adding fractionally more weight. One thing I like about it is that the mouth is wide enough to use a whisk on the contents.

I threw all my Takeya pitchers away. I got sick of their ever-leaking lids.

Gave up on leaky Takeya pitchers, switched to Nalgene. Only two parts to clean instead of five.

The reason they are leaky is probably that you don’t know how to use them. The main cause for leaking is starting to pour when there is too much liquid above the filtering point – you have to wait until the water level falls. The second most common cause is misplaced bands. They are usually correctly placed, but you can knock them out of the track and they will stay leaky until they are fixed.

I don’t think the often-cited over- or under-tightening hardly ever cause leaking.

I am going by my nine months of 100% experience.

Yeah I put a decent torque on it and 99% of the time it seals just fine. Every once in a blue moon it leaks despite the bands (on later inspection) being in place…!!! Just to be safe now, I start shaking over the sink. Just in case.

I’ve only ever had a handful of small leaks (while shaking) with the Takeya, and they are almost always because I under-tighten. Almost always because I know the first one was due to over-tightening (way back in the early days); iirc, I popped the lid’s O-ring out of it’s track, or it became twisted, or something awful like that. :grimacing:

Oh, I’m beginning to think it helps if the silicone O-rings are wet rather than bone-dry because the increased friction causes me to under-tighten. I haven’t actually tested this yet, but it kind of makes sense.

Over-tightening is a problem I have experienced, but another one is that sometimes there is water along the rim that is above the O-ring from when I fill the pitcher. What I have gotten in the habit of doing is pouring over the sink after I have closed the lid to get rid of this small amount of liquid before I shake.

If you need instructions or pointers for a pitcher, it’s a cruddy pitcher, IMHO.