Taste & flavorings thread

You can take the salt separately in a pill if you want, but you gotta have the oil. You do need some fats!

I really didn’t like mine “flavorless”. I didn’t like the taste until I started using vanilla protein powder like Rob does.

I experimented a bit with my mixture and I found that most of bad taste is coming from salts. I tried to make my Sylent only with maltodextrin, whey concentrate, oil (mixture of olive, sunflower and flax oils), lecithine and fiber, I use multivitamin tablets for vitamins. The taste was MUCH better. And with some favorants I think Soylent could have even better taste than milkshakes.
I will try to buy or make capsules/tablets with salts of K, Na, Ca and Mg and drink only mixture of macroingridients.
What do you think about taste of your salt-free Soylent?

Has anyone tried to make a “Soylentccino” or even an iced-soylentccino?

I’ve not yet started to make my own soylent but plan to do so in the coming weeks after I find some cheap/convenient sources for the ingredients but as a coffee lover this was the first variation that I’m going to try. If i’m going to be sipping coffee in the office during 9 hours a day I might as well make it my food source and as summer seems closer in these latitudes an iced variation would come handy.

@nesukun One thing I like now is an iced coffee in the morning called an Icebreak. Convenient not exactly wholesome but has that caffeine hit and is filling. To offset the loss of the icebreaks in the mornings, I’m planning to put some instant coffee in my breakfast drinks when I get started. Will have to tune the consistency and flavors but hoping to get something to wake me up in the morning. I’m definitely not a morning person! :slight_smile:

I found it in a local online store of suplements for athletes http://www.corpoperfeito.com.br/produto/maltodextrina_neo-nutri
strawberry = morango

Remember Rob’s experience with “noxious fumes” that caused him to evacuate his apartment.
Whatever you are doing, it’s probably not a good idea to heat Soylent. :smiley:

Soylent should be stable at body temperatures with some margin, while coffee is usually brewed in the range of 80-90ºC you don’t drink it at that temperature obviously. Adding coffee to an already mixed Soylent shouldn’t be a problem, but I’ll be careful and post my results.

Just made my first batch and I think mine tastes similar to yours. This’ll take some work to get it to a point where I can actually get it down =/

I actually changed my formula, and now use half Instant Oats and half Maltodextrin. I also reduced the salt, and even if my Whey is flavorless as is the Malto, my new Soylent tastes waaaay better now.
I don’t like it sweet, and with the instant oats it’s kinda like liquid cereals, but something in my new mixture prevents the Whey from getting creamy.

I just finished creating my first batch of soylent. It’s significantly more brown (in color) than I expected. I poured about a ml into a cup, drank it, and proceeded to gag for the next minute. It was terrible. I’m using whey isolate to provide most of the protein, and olive oil to provide most of the fat. Everything else is ground up supplements, measured out, and finally blended with 1500ml of purified water.

I don’t think I can get this down when my batch tastes this terrible. I’m considering mixing in cocoa powder or blending it with strawberries.

The problem for most people trying it flavourless will indeed be that flavourless is NOT flavourless.
Each ingredient will always bring its own natural flavour, and those might not be very pleasant.

You almost need some kind of flavouring to mask those bad flavours - personally, I just use chocolate and strawberry used whey concentrate. Works fine for me, and the taste is even strong enough to mask any (required) amount of salt or oil => it doesn’t matter to the taste what oil I use. Except walnut oil. That doesn’t work.

Sorta glad now I went with the 100% Whey Gold Standard-Vanilla Ice Cream protein. =]

Made a small test mix with chocolate flavored whey isolate and it seemed to help. Also I think I’ll start with easy mode by leaving out the oil in favor of pecans/almonds

In that case I think you should make sure to have some of your nuts immediately before or after the Soylent.
I’m no expert, but if I understand it correctly, the fats are required for the absorption of quite a few things.

@JTown & @countermassive – it makes a big difference whether you’re using “Dutched” or natural (non-Dutched) cocoa powder. Basically, cocoa powder is naturally pretty bitter, and the “Dutch” process is a way of reducing the bitterness by treating it with an alkali. Dutch processed chocolate basically tastes better, and more “chocolatey.” It also is darker in color (Oreos being the endpoint of Dutchiness).

So if you tried it with natural cocoa powder (e.g. Hershey’s Cocoa Powder), I recommend trying a Dutch processed one (e.g. Hershey’s Special Dark) and see if you like that better.

Alternately, I’m finding that in my main mix, just leaving a shake in the fridge for awhile seems to “Dutch” the chocolate – it gets darker, and tastes better.

Or just throw in an Oreo in the shake! :wink:

Experimented with using things besides water as a base. With chocolate coconut milk, chocolate whey, and swapping some of my maltodextrin with oat powder, I’ve made something that basically tastes like brownie mix. Not really ideal, but I thought it was neat.

Thanks zach for the explanation of the Dutch-process. Maybe I will try it, but atm I’m very happy with the taste of my oat-soylent.

But now I want to increase fibers a bit more (atm it’s 15g), but don’t want to go so high on Carbonhydrates - means more oats in my case. So I thought about additional fiber powder (from wheat), psyllium husks (do they make the soylent grainy?) or - and I never saw anyone here use it - alant starch/Inulin.

As far as I read, Inulin could be quite beneficial for taste and texture, also wikipedia mentions:
“In a study of type 2 diabetic women, 10 g/day of inulin was shown to have significant beneficial effects on glycemic indices, antioxidant capacity and body weight.” - it’s also prebiotic, and it’s mentioned it increases calcium absorption and maybe also the absorption of magnesium.
Also:
“Due to the body’s limited ability to process fructans, inulin has minimal increasing impact on blood sugar. It is considered suitable for diabetics and potentially helpful in managing blood sugar-related illnesses.”

Has anyone experience with Inulin? Should I try a 50/50 mix with Inulin and Fiber Powder?

My 35g of powdered psyllium husks per day definitely have an influence on the texture, but it’s still a smooth liquid.
Note that I mix each portion with water and fat individually, 2 minutes before consumption.
I don’t know if it’s different if you water it all in the morning.