Team Oat vs Team Masa

In most of the recipes there appear to be two major base camps for soylent. Team Oat has the MVP ‘Soylent’ but both are capable of producing a recipe meets 100%+ of nutritional requirements. I am curious for those that chose one vs the other what the decision factors were; how do your personal tastes compare if you have tried both; and you likely to keep both in the pantry for variety; etc.

Oat or corn flour

Oats win
1 Lower GI and contains some nutritions and fiber.
2 cheaper per mass.
3 gives a bulk to the intestine.

Where are you buying oat flour that’s cheaper than masa? Masa at grocery stores is no more than $3 for 2 kg / 4.4 lb. That’s about 4 cents per ounce. (Walmart has a brand that’s about 3 cents per ounce but I haven’t tried it yet.) Ordering online is generally more expensive due to the weight (even with free shipping, they incorporate the shipping into the price) so there’s generally no reason not to buy locally.

I haven’t found any oat flour locally except single 22-ounce packages of Bob’s Red Mill oat flour for $4 each – about 18 cents per ounce, considerably more expensive than masa. Amazon has a 50-pound bag for $54.50, about 7 cents, which is more reasonable, but dealing with a 50-pound bag seems like it would be really awkward.

I’d like to do a mix of masa and oat flour, but without a cheap source of oat flour it may not be viable.

buy rolled oats. and put them in the blender to make cheap oat flour.

Here in Sweden you can buy 1,5Kg of oats for 1$ or 1.5$/kg at a local ICA Super market
And that is including a 20%taxation in the store

i think you can find cheaper in the states

What about subbing in quinoa and chia for those of us that are gluten intolerant?

How about Team Coconut Flour for ketosis?

Otherwise I’d have to say (the nixtamalized) Team Masa edges out the competition on the basis of digestibility.

well coconut flor will only work in a coconut land, in Europe and USA it’s to dame expensive.

Not really. Despite our proximity to Mexico, most of us here in the U.S. will have trouble finding Maseca for less than $5/kg (either locally or online, factoring in shipping). For those who can deal with a 50lb bulk purchase, the price might get down to about $3/kg at best.

Organic coconut flour is available on Amazon right now for $4.18/kg (shipped, including the Subscribe & Save discount). I wouldn’t call that cost-prohibitive in relative terms.

Every grocery store I’ve checked has had Maseca for less than $3 for 2 kg. Even drug stores like Walgreens have it, albeit at a slightly higher price. The Walmarts also have Masabrosa which is basically the same but a bit cheaper. In some stores I’ve started seeing a new 2.2 kg Maseca for $3 before tax. Walmart also has a “Minsa” brand which is only $1.14 before tax for 1kg, although I’m not totally trustful of it yet because of the abnormally high calcium on the nutrition label. Maybe it’s just because I live in an area with a reasonably high Hispanic population, but masa seems to be very ubiquitous and cheap.

I live in Houston, TX. My wife just picked up a 4.4 lb (2 kg) for $3 at Krogers yesterday.

@SSSS and @cohron – I stand corrected… I guess that’s what I get for living in Manhattan. :slight_smile: Masa costs a good bit more than that here, even at Target and the bodegas I’ve checked out in East Harlem.

At any rate, I guess my point is that coconut flour is not astronomically expensive, and is worth checking out for anybody who’s interested in low carb (you’re also probably going to use half as much or less in such a recipe, so there’s another factor).

By the way, @SSSS, Minsa is another major Mexican corn flour producer – I believe the second largest after Maseca. As long as you make sure the product you’re getting is nixtamalized masa harina rather than regular corn flour, it should be fine. Incidentally, Minsa is actually the producer (in partnership with Suntava) of the blue / purple corn masa harina that is spec’ed in my “Superfood” recipe.

My concern with the Minsa is that it lists 25% Calcium RDA per 30g serving, whereas all the other brands I’ve seen are more like 2%. If the calcium information is accurate, using only Minsa could potentially result in a calcium overdose (and I’m deathly afraid of kidney stones). I bought a bag of it and have started mixing 20% Minsa / 80% Maseca or Masabrosa in order to keep the calcium under control. Do you have any thoughts on the abnormal calcium amount? I know masa is made using calcium hydroxide (lime) but I don’t know why this one brand would have 15 times as much calcium as the others.

I would (and do) take the nutritional product label on a commoditized foodstuff like masa harina with a giant grain of salt (provided you’re not talking about a product that is fortified / enriched). There will be significant variation in the micronutrient content of different batches of food crop based on local soil conditions, weather, agricultural practices, etc. On top of that baseline uncertainty, the labeling requirements are almost useless. The information provided is incomplete at best, and the broadly rounded figures are going to be even less useful if you’re using more than one “serving” (as we certainly do with masa-based recipes).

I would (and do) ignore them completely where possible. For just about every kind of masa harina, I would go with the lab values supplied in the USDA nutritional database entry for white (unenriched) masa flour. Whether you’re using a bag of yellow Maseca or a supply of blue/purple corn masa (which should in theory have a bit more protein content), I believe this is going to be the best and most complete nutritional baseline available (until we start pooling our money to do direct lab testing of various products, that is).

As for your concerns about calcium and kidney stones, you should make sure your recipe supplements K in the form of potassium citrate rather than any other form (and maybe throw in some extra), since that compound has the helpful side effect of preventing kidney stones from forming.

Masa, masa man,
I gotta be a masa man…

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Today I tried a 50/50 blend of pre-cooked maise meal and oat flower, it actually tastes pretty good.

I ran out of oats last night, went for a blend of my remaining oat and coconut. Made six days worth at a ratio of 1:3. First batch was today - cinnamon pineapplesauce cake. Tasty!

2 things I’d throw into this conversation - even though a lot of it is old:

I got a 50 lb bag of masa at Cash & Carry for 25 bucks in Seattle, WA. Masa at all the local grocery stores in 4.4lb bags averages $4.50. (Groceries tend to be very expensive here.) So about $1.10 per kilo.

Masa flour cooked into a thick, creamy beverage is known as atole in Mexico. Regular people chow basically tastes a lot like atole, and I’m convinced that cooking a bunch of masa into atole and using that as a base for beverages would not only result in a much smoother drink but also a more easily digested one.

@isaackotlicky if you decide to make this, you must must must tell me how it turns out. :wink:

Ooo!

I’ve been looking at alternatives, and masa is pretty cheap.
But I tend to go lower carb than most masa based recipes. That said, no reason not to try it at least for a week.
Buy a kilo of masa, experiment cooking it with the protein and then blending in spices and flavors… Very exciting!

Awesome man, can’t wait to hear what you have to report on this. It might be EASIER for you since you’re using less masa. I think that if you tried to make atole from 345g of masa (the amount in a regular day of people chow) you’d have WAYYYYYY more atole than you’d be able to drink in one day. I have a feeling that is probably the sticky bit. But still worth trying out.

Additionally, I’ve found that the masa does continue to soften up as it sits in cold water, so if I do my mix and shake it up at least 3 hours before I intend to drink it (overnight is great) this really reduces textural issues significantly but it’s that fibrous bit at the end of the kernel that basically refuses to soften without cooking.

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask: can you replace Oat flour with Masa in PeoplChow on a calorie-for-calorie basis? Or will it mess with other nutrients values?

I’m thinking of moving away from Masa for greater fiber content.