Thanksgiving comment

A NY Times writer, Julie Kraut, suggested for Thanksgiving:

“Of course, there will be conversations at the Thanksgiving table. And that’s completely O.K. — as long as you stay out of them. Don’t speak and try not to listen. Earplugs are a good idea or, if you can, simply avoid all noise. Light is also hugely distracting. Think about a blindfold. The easiest way to dodge all the commotion is to take your plate away from the crowd entirely.”

This article was not about Soylent, but having read many articles about Soylent, I was shocked.

Remember, the bad thing about Soylent according to many writers is that it disrupts the sacred community aspect of eating. Where is that aspect if you are ear-plugged and blindfolded?

You should be able to find this article on the NY Times site … if you want to. It advocates “intuitive eating” aka “listen to your body”, a worthy idea. I consume Soylent intuitively.

I feel like you are possibly missing the tongue-in-cheek nature of this diet / these diet tips.

From the writer:

Very excited to have these super simple nutrition tips in the New York Times! (Please don’t take this literally like the guy who emailed me for help with his eating disorder. Also, what do I write back to him?)

Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago.

Obviously this was an attempt by the author at humor, but your point stands that for many people there is too often little to no joy in sharing meals with others for various reasons. And you are correct that people have vastly overestimated the “need” to eat traditional legacy foods with friends and family strictly to share the experience of communal eating.

American Thanksgiving was last week.

But the point of the author was more one of “If your family makes you unthankful when you eat with them, then don’t eat with them.”

Yes, I probably should have read the article more carefully. But Soylent critics say it disturbs the all-important family or social aspect of eating. I find myself sitting around talking with people even though I am consuming Soylent, it turns out. But anyway, the social aspect isn’t so essential if you can dump it if your family makes you feel bad

I spent Thanksgiving with my mom, who is in her 70’s, and pop, who is in his 80’s. They occasionally have a meal replacement drink of some sort (I forget which brand) and there were a few of them in the refrigerator. I told them about Soylent and they were interested, so I opened up my laptop and ordered them a case of 2.0 right then. It still shows as “preparing for shipment,” and now I’m worried that they won’t even be able to open the bottles when they arrive.

The truly difficult to open bottle is rare, but it exists. Look on Amazon under “bottle opener” and you will find a number of life-saving remedies. I guess in the future you will just hand the bottle to your robot and wonder how the pioneers like us opened bottles.