"The Better-Than-Soylent Japanese Meal Replacement" (Calorie Mate article)

Article on Calorie Mate:

“Is it healthy? No, but that’s not the point of Calorie Mate.”

Oh, great.

Haha, yeah I didn’t really understand that line. I think the point is to be healthy or they wouldn’t put all the vitamins and stuff in.

Anyway, Calorie Mate has the block bars mentioned as well as squeezable jelly pouches and cans of drinks.

Block bars:

Jelly pouches:

Cans of drink:

Well, it’s up to 41 grams of sugar and has 400 calories. Definitely not exactly healthy if you’re trying to avoid diabetes.

I may have ordered one of these from Amazon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Impressions in, uh, just over a month or so.

Just FYI, this stuff isn’t exactly new. It was first introduced in 1983 according to the wikipedia page on it.

Looks like something out of Metal Gear Solid. Amazon.com apparently will ship these to me in Canada, so I ordered four different flavours of food blocks.

The article itself is mostly a headline. The majority of the real estate within the piece is dedicated to the box’s design, and then how it tastes like a fortified cookie. The company doesn’t actually make any claims about meal replacement, but [writes] (https://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/faq/caloriemate/) in the Q&A:

Can I get all my daily nutrition just from Calorie Mate?

“We do not recommend trying to get an entire day’s nutrition just from Calorie Mate. Regularly eating nutritionally balanced meals is the foundation of a daily diet. Calorie Mate is a nutritionally adjusted food product that contains the five major nutrients, but it is intended only as a dietary supplement”.

Along with this, using margarine as a source of calories makes the product unhealthy because of the trans fats.

I knew it! Good to know my memory kinda sorta almost works.

I’m in Japan and I live off of this stuff and Joylent right now. As you’ve all concluded, it is not even close to Soylent.