The carb landscape

this is a companion post to my write up: the protein landscape.

i’ve been trying to troubleshoot my energy.

one thing everyone should realize is that soylent is incredibly individual. while i’m interested in manufactured soylent—who is it manufactured for, for what goals? males? females? athletes? or office workers? weight lifters or long distance runners?

i’m very interested in that control.

but, i’m also very interested in not just my wants, but my needs.

i started off mirroring @rob’s formula (or his third? formula) of 50/50 oats/malto.

i kept crashing over and over and over and over. every 30min-1hr post intake, i just needed a nap. like shutdown in public need a nap. i’m not convinced i have this beat, but, i’ve adjusted to 75/25 oats/malto and it’s either not happening as much or i am less aware of it.

so, that got me interested in troubleshooting it, which led to the concept (mostly new to me) of the glycemic index (or g.i.). turns out my oats are 50 and my malto is 130.

the higher the number, the faster it dumps into your bloodstream. sugar rush, sugar crash.

so, i just happen to be flipping through the catalog that came with (which did contain typos) and discovered they sell other types of carbs:

• oats gi 50
  • waxy maize gi 70
  • dextrose 100
  • malto gi 130
  • a blend of waxy/dex/malto (which they call slow to fast)

so, i’m going to try a blend of oats+waxy next.

Though I’ve never really pin-pointed the specific cause, certain foods will force me to crash harder than others, with a lot of subsequent lethargy after the fact. Does this sound similar to what you dealt with before Soylent as well?

My [own formula][1] is high in carbs*, but low in calories, which I’m a little concerned about (ingredients inc).

*I don’t think I corrected the carbs in the oat powder / fiber for insolubles, not quite sure how.
[1]: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvyfCbGPy0DXdFlGcGM5T0dXQ1lBUXlsSzZNaW1TbEE#gid=0

Lowering the glycemic index is the reason why oats were added in the first place - to replace that crash. There’s quite a few threads about that here, I suggest you use the search function.

Here’s a study on Waxy maize starch.

Study here

My only concern is that waxy maize starch seems to be pretty pricey. At least double the cost of maltodextrin and triple that of oat flour.

Since my daily cost is 4.51 I’m going to cut my malto in half and replace it with waxy maize.

on waxy maize:

the catalog claims it protects from bloating.

love the catch, @bigepidemic.

Iw as reading up on it last night. All the marketing materials about WMS indicate that it is rapidly digested to help quickly restore glycogen. Are we sure it is low GI?

It’s not fast. It’s a complex carbohydrate with high molecular weight. Between oats and malto.

I’m just concerned about diabetes from the maltodextrin blood spikes and asking:
Is there any hard-proven evidence that blood sugar spikes cause diabetes?

Diabetes mellitus type 2 (formerly noninsulin-dependent diabetes
mellitus (NIDDM) or adult-onset diabetes) is a metabolic disorder that
is characterized by high blood glucose in the context of insulin
resistance and relative insulin deficiency.

I already found this in the article

Dietary factors also influence the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks in excess is associated with an
increased risk.[13][14] The type of fats in the diet are also
important, with saturated fats and trans fatty acids increasing the
risk and polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat decreasing the
risk.[10] Eating lots of white rice appears to also play a role in
increasing risk.[15] A lack of exercise is believed to cause 7% of
cases.[16]

Unfortunately it’s not the clearest of link, it could also be other substances in these drinks.
Edit: Or because it fits to the lifestly of an obese person. Or because these persons get less vitamins and minerals because softdrinks are “empty calories”.