The demonization of fat is finally coming to an end. Eat that butter y'all!

Butter Is Back

6 Graphs That Show Why The “War” on Fat Was a Huge Mistake

Do Saturated Fats Really Cause Heart Disease?

Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link

Is Soylent too high in fat?

I have always believe that demonizing fats didn’t make any sense. Always have drank whole milk, and eaten butter. Not exclusively there were usually other foods involved.

The biggest reason I rarely pay attention to 'ZOMG! Teh foodz are bad for you!" Much like Florida weather, ‘wait a little while and it’ll change’.

No way, stuff like that NEVER CHANGES
http://171.67.24.121/tobacco_web/images/tobacco_ads/doctors_smoking/more_doctors_smoke_camels/large/camels_doctors_whiteshirt.jpg

Ill see your cigarette ad and raise you a radon water infuser.

I want my soylent with Radon.

How else will you ensure your water is sterile?

That’s what I told the hotel guests.

so how much saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat are we supposed to get in our daily soylent allowance? All of the nutritional profiles on diy are zero.

This to me is the first thing I would like to see Soylent start addressing and researching. Releasing a low-carb, higher-fat (and better fats) soylent seems like a must unless you want to ignore the majority of modern dietary research. There has been a large shift against the idea of low-fat for some time now. I love the soylent idea, but its not useful to me until it matches my diet better. I’ve created my own for awhile, but the overhead got tiring and real food isn’t that difficult.

Personally I would like a low-carb high fat soylent but, I would want it to come without the fat added so I could add my own fresh butter.

On the other hand, the way these things change, a balanced approach is probably best. I’ve seen things claiming carbs are evil and trying to kill you, things debunking those, and I think trying to minimize entire classes of macro nutrients is a bad idea. I’m just waiting for people to start claiming that protein is bad for you.
Shifting away from low-fat does not mean shifting to low-carbs. Why should it be low-anything?

I agree. A balanced diet. A little of everything. This has always been my approach.

Low-carb doesn’t have to be extreme. If you add more fat, you remove carb calories. 100g-150g of carbs seems very reasonable and I think better approximates modern nutrition knowledge. Ketosis requires <20g carbs and low-carb doesn’t have to be anything like that

Most of what I saw gave the impression of “Fat is actually good, taking out of your diet is bad, and since you replace it with carbs, you end up with issues from too many carbs and not enough fat”. Then people want an easy answer of “avoid X to win at dieting”, so they instead cut out carbs.

Off topic, but had to leave this here:

I heard the study’s co-author on NPR today. He said it’s not that these fats are bad (they generally are) but that there are other factors for your health that are more important. One of the examples he gave was butter on toast. Less butter is better, but the toast itself (a wafer of refined carbs) is probably worse than the butter.