The flavoring Soylent 1.4 thread

Since Soylent 1.4 is so different than previous versions, I thought I would start a new thread where people can post flavoring ideas.

I added some additional water to my glass of Soylent today (as has been suggested in many posts elsewhere in the forum) and it made the consistency of the Soylent easier and more pleasant to swallow/drink. This could become a regular thing for me.

Like previous versions I’ve added 3 rounded tablespoons of non-chocolate PB2 to my pitcher. It doesn’t taste quite as good as 1.3, but it’s drinkable for sure. I’m going to do some testing with bigger amounts of PB2. I’m also considering cinnamon. Anyone else?

Just tried Soylent 1.4 - You all scared me and now idk what I think
1.8 Additional Flavoring

You remember what and how much cinnamon should be consumed in a day right. If yes then flavoring with cinnamon is not a bad idea if it suits.

I’m playing with Hershey’s Dark Chocolate cocoa, http://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Special-Chocolate-Cocoa-8-Ounce/dp/B001EQ4SHK/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1425658666&sr=1-1&keywords=hershey’s+dark+chocolate+cocoa.

I’m trying to figure out the right amount. I love chocolate so this will probably be what I settle on. It’s a bit of a pain to mix in but the immersion blender does a great job. I couldn’t imagine this working just by shaking. It also appears to be very messy if you aren’t careful.

You could try pre-mixing the cocoa powder with the Soylent powder instead of adding it to prepared Soylent. Caveat: I’ve been drinking plain Soylent lately so I haven’t actually tried this yet.

Yup, like @wezaleff said, if you mix the cocoa into the powder first it will work fine. I have cocoa in my DIY mix and it comes out smooth with just shaking.

IMHO 1.4 < 1.3. 1.4 takes sort of milky and perhaps a bit too smooth. I liked the grainier more neutral flavor of 1.3.

How much cocoa do you use for a whole batch of soylent? Kinda curious.

I use 15g (3 tablespoons) per day.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I need SOMETHING. I’m pausing my Soylent order, cause I don’t think I can take this stuff as is. 1.3 I could drink just fine with no flavoring. While it wasn’t yum yum delicious, I did at least look forward to meal time. Today I’ve dreaded drinking the stuff. I can’t make myself get any for dinner, so I’m going real food lol.

I’m doing my own DIY and am only using about 20g. It’s there as much to help fill out the nutritional profile as it is for flavor. Though I could easily replace it by adding/adjusting other ingredients.

I’m not really sure how much flavor it really adds at this point since I have had it in my mix for a long time, though I do expect I am getting a benefit from the flavor, I would need to remove it to see how much. I am also now using flavored proteins which I expect compliment, or overpower, much of the flavor from the cocoa.

So I was in Safeway today looking for possible Soylent enhancers and spotted some “Milk Magic” infusions. It looks like @Cobalt spoke very highly of this stuff in Oct 2014, but I don’t see any other mentions. Anyway, it definitely has potential. I tried the ‘cookies & cream’ and just a very tiny amount flavored the whole glass. It definitely adds sweetness as well as flavoring. I need to do more testing. It has natural flavors, but artificial sweeteners. I’ll post pics in a minute…

I have yet to try flavoring 1.4 (made my first batch plain last night), but I think my “Holiday Spice” mix for 1.3 will work well in this version. Indian curry spice worked very well in 1.3, but I can’t see that happening in 1.4… I think aiming for more of a Thai coconut curry would work better. I’ll try in a few days and report back.

All recipes are for an entire pitcher of Soylent. Combine dry ingredients before mixing with water.

Holiday Spice (1.3):
1 Heaping 1/4 tsp Cardamom
1 Heaping 1/4 tsp Allspice
2 Heaping 1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Curry Spice (1.3):
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cumin
2 Heaping 1/4 tsp Coriander
3 Heaping 1/4 tsp Turmeric

(Heaping = Don’t flatten the mound on top of the measuring spoon. Don’t think about it, just scoop and dump.)

I also tried flavoring 1.3 with teas, and again, I’m not sure how well they’ll go with 1.4. For each tea, brew 32 oz to replace 32 oz of water when mixing Soylent (top off with plain water). Herbal teas, e.g. Honeybush and Rooibos, were my favorites. Again, I’ll try in a few days and report back.

In the mean time, since I’m late to the discussion in general, I thought I’d throw my previous flavoring ideas out there in case anybody wanted to try. Seems most people use boring old chocolate and peanut butter :wink:

I just had another glass of 1.4 with a half squirt of Milk Magic’s Cookies & Cream flavor. Wow, that was one of the best cups of Soylent I’ve ever had. I was particularly hungry though. Looking forward to trying their other flavors. Not nuts about the fact they use artificial sweeteners but happy to see natural flavors are used. This stuff will likely appeal more to people with a sweet tooth.

Mmm… Thai Curry Soylent 1.4 is delicious! The extra fat / creaminess / “sliminess” is very much like the texture of coconut fat in a curry. (Who doesn’t love slurping from the dish!) I found that spices in 1.4 don’t jump out as much as in 1.3, so if you are sensitive to spices there’s less concern about ruining an entire batch; you could half everything in this recipe to try it out, then add more to suit your taste.

This recipe is for an entire pouch of Soylent 1.4. Combine dry ingredients before mixing with water.

Thai Curry Soylent (1.4):
3 Heaping 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger (substitute Galangal if you want a more “authentic” taste… :smirk: )
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 Heaping 1/4 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

(Heaping = Don’t flatten the mound on top of the measuring spoon. Don’t think about it, just scoop and dump.)

The amounts here are enough for me to notice each individual spice without anything being overwhelming. Garlic is the strongest flavor, so those sensitive to Garlic might reduce to a few sprinkles, or leave it out altogether. That amount of Cayenne adds a mild kick; those who like hot food can add more (or even use chili oil for super hot!). I actually tried ~1/8 tsp Cayenne at first, but it was barely noticeable for me (I’m pretty tolerant of heat, though). I miss the basil… but I don’t want to A) put effort into grinding basil leaves to a powder, or B) have bits of leaves in my Soylent. A squeeze of fresh lime per serving would also be yummy, I think. [edit] Confirming the fresh lime squeeze… Yeah, it’s fucking awesome!

I will update my Holiday Spice recipe next, then probably do a round of Soylent Nog.

Log your opinions of 1.4 here

Ok, so now I’ve tried Milk Magic’s Strawberry, Chocolate, and Cookies & Cream flavors. I think I like C & C the best. It’s unbelievable how potent this stuff is, you only need a few drops per small glass. I noticed something interesting tonight, I drank a glass of chocolate flavored Soylent, and then immediately afterward had a few sips of plain Soylent. I was amazed at how bland and neutral it was. It literally tasted like NOTHING.

I’ve yet to hear anyone mention Da Vinci Sugar Free Syrups. It uses Splenda and comes in dozens of flavors. I’ve been buying mine locally but discovered I could get it cheaper online. I usually keep three flavors around such as Vanilla, Caramel and Pineapple. (Oddly enough, Pineapple works very well with Soylent.) That way, my Soylent can taste a bit different each day and I’m less likely to get bored with it.

How much of the Da Vinci Sugar Free Syrup do you add to 2L of Soylent?

Roughly 4 tablespoons. Obviously, that would vary by person. Also, I don’t yet have 1.4, so the amount might be less since folk are reporting 1.4 is sweeter.

Okay. Mixed up my first pouch of 1.4 last night and it’s been in the fridge ever since.

Poured about a quarter or a third of a cup. Took a sip. Thick and salty. Eh. Probably could get it down, but didn’t care to; time to start trying things.

So I added some water, not too much–about 25% more? Then two drops of vanilla. Less bad. Then one drop of LorAnn orange oil. Less bad. A second drop of orange oil.

Now the offputting play-doh smell is replaced by a light orange-oil smell. And the taste is still pretty neutral, but with a trace of orange, and a lesser trace of vanilla–like a hint of Creamsicle–just a hint, but it makes the whole thing much much more palatable.

I’m going to have to figure out how much it takes for a whole pitcher. In the meantime, I have some other LorAnn oils and flavors (tangerine, grapefruit, mint, mint chocolate, banana cream) I can try with smaller samples.

This stuff seems to flavor pretty easily and that’s encouraging (though obviously I wish I liked it straight–but even 1.1 and 1.3 I added a couple drops of sucralose to the pitcher; didn’t even add sucralose this time).