The gluten free diet: how many people need one, and why do we care?

So, @BoDuke, let’s get the v1.4 suggestions thread back on track…

+1 for a gluten free version. There are plenty of dedicated GF facilities that produce oat flour. It shouldn’t be that difficult or expensive to use an oat flour free from cross-contamination.

To some GF is a fad, but to others it is a legitimate allergy. The impact of gluten in Soylent is minimal as it is, but enough so that I couldn’t make it 100% of my diet in its current state. I’ve tried some of the soylent alternatives that are GF and the difference is notable.

With almost 30% of americans now going on a gluten free diet based on what i read, i think rosa labs should really aim soylent to be gluten free. Its a very huge market to affording missing. And those people are rising in numbers every year.

@rob @soylent @juliomiles whoever sees this.

Actually, although there are people for whom gluten free is necessary, I have a feeling that the general gluten free fad is almost over. A lot of “gluten free” diets aren’t really that anyway. And people who really have celiac disease cannot tolerate many “gluten free” products.

But even in the past two or three years at the peak of the gluten free enthusiasm, I think 30% as a number is really high.

Eve

I read that 30% number in an article , i think its available online. Also i know gluten free food is necessary for a lot of people. I never meant it is a fad for people.

Well, I’m basing my views on more than an article. Also I live in an area where if there were 30% gluten free people, there would be a lot more offerings in the grocery stores and restaurants. Actually, it’s a niche offering.

Eve

You are from canada right, that article was about america. Also ‘gluten free’ means not necessarily 100% gluten free. Its gluten less than a certain amount. less than 20 or less than 10 ppm or something. Also non-celiac gluten sensitive people are said to tolerate upto that levels, and they are more in number than celiacs.

You think things are that much different in Canada culturally? You clearly don’t understand what is going on.

Gluten free products are expensive so generally more affluent people follow that trend. I live in a very affluent city with people who favour all the nutritional trends. I have met many true believers. But they don’t come close to 30% by either numbers or by the evidence of what is available in stores (both American and Canadian).

Eve

What should i accept? Anecdotal evidence from a single person or from an article that more likely got its info from more sources/more number of people?

Also foods that are labelled ‘gluten free’ are not the only sources of a gluten free diet. Avoiding foods like wheat, barley etc can also be considered as going gluten free.

I don’t care what you accept. I’m just correcting your statistics.

Eve

You are correcting my statistics based on your anecdotal experiences.

I think you’re probably just misremembering, because 30% of people in the US probably aren’t on any sort of definable diet. That’s a huge swath of the population.

Hell, I would bet that 30% of people in the areas buying into the gluten fad still aren’t on gluten-free diets.

“an article” as such has no particular credibility. Lots of articles are published by commercial interests or Nazis or Communists or wingnuts.I’m an editor – you should believe everything I say, because I’ve edited many articles.

Keep me full longer.

Unless you have celiac decease going gluten free is silly. There is evidence that non-celiac gluten sensitivity (gluten intolerance) is often self diagnosed and is either a nocebo effect or a reaction to something else in the diet.

There are articles out there claiming vaccines cause autism and that Obama is literally Satan incarnate. Are you telling me I can’t trust everything I read???

Wait…He isnt? This changes everything!

larry, geneven, granted that an article doesnt prove anything, but there is no article or evidence saying that it isnt wrong either. Only anecdotal experiences or people ‘betting’ that it isnt the case. So…

It’s fun watching people bang their head against the wall, talking to users whose posts I can’t see. :wink:

Against my better judgment, here’s an article that partially vindicates Tark from a reputable source.

Basically, less than one percent of people have celiac disease but 29% of polled individuals in this 2013 study stated that they were “trying to cut back/avoid gluten” in their diets.

This is a hugely different statement than saying that 30 percent of the American population actually eats gluten-free, though, and should be taken with a grain of salt. It just shows that one in three people feels guilty enough about their eating habits and has some (flawed, in my opinion) understanding of what gluten is that they would self-report as wanting to cut back.

Moving on.