The New Yorker: “A Pill to Make Exercise Obsolete”

Couch Potato Mouse had been raised to serve as a proxy for the average American. Its daily exercise was limited to an occasional waddle toward a bowl brimming with pellets of laboratory standard “Western Diet,” which consists almost entirely of fat and sugar and is said to taste like cookie dough. The mouse was lethargic, lolling in a fresh layer of bedding, rolls of fat visible beneath thinning, greasy-looking fur. Lance Armstrong Mouse had been raised under exactly the same conditions, yet, despite its poor diet and lack of exercise, it was lean and taut, its eyes and coat shiny as it snuffled around its cage. The secret to its healthy appearance and youthful energy, Evans explained, lay in a daily dose of GW501516: a drug that confers the beneficial effects of exercise without the need to move a muscle.

Interesting article. And amazingly easy to buy GW501516 - a google search, and there it is. Although, since the article points out that it’s a definite carcinogen for mice, I think it’s pretty foolish for most people to actually use. I’ll keep on running and rock climbing instead. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I wonder whether anything good for you is also bad for you because it will make any cancer you may have grow. :slightly_frowning_face:

Lab mice cause cancer in research scientists…

It seems like another virus advertising to me

This crap is so unnatural, I wouldn’t go near it. Do as nature intended, eat wholesome foods and exercise. It doesn’t even need to be intense exercise. There are many benefits to just going for a simple walk everyday. A 10-15 walk is much better than nothing :slight_smile: It’s also good for mental health along with the physical health benefits. :smiley: