The perfect Real Whole Foods recipe? (REVISED)

For your review, another whole foods recipe:

(RealWholeFoods.xlsm)

My newest recipe

Am I misunderstanding your spreadsheet? I read it as 70g of yeast and 100g of raw green peppers.

Also 86g total carbs is not really ketogenic. In fact looking down the carbs column we have 49+58+29+5= a lot more than 86g. My error or yours?

Your error. Total Carbs - Fiber = Carbs
<100g is considered ketogenic

Also a ratio of 4:1 fat:carbs is considered ketogenic

The new recipe only uses 41g of yeast, and changed to non-active yeast.
Also the buttermilk is changed to condensed/dry milk.
I’ll post the updated one soon.
The buttermilk and the yeast are both too sour.

All sorts of changes now.

Ahh okay, in the UK we get ‘net carbs’ (i.e. not including fibre). I was confused since the column total was not the sum of the column contents… I should have just checked the cell formula!!

Anyway it looks great so far to be honest. Is that much cocoa not expensive?

I found a replacement for the yeast, and I managed to use 1/2 the original amount of no cocoa.

I’m trying to find a vitamin C replacement for the sweet pepper.
I replaced the yeast with peanuts for b vitamins.

It’s really impressive how few ingredients you can get away with in whole foods preparations. The only small things I can see that may be an issue is that that level of flax oil will affect the flavour, and you’re really dependent on tomatoes for protein. If the tomatoes available locally to you are lower in protein than the USDA spec, you will have quite a deficiency going there.

Thanks. I do an ingredient by ingredient search and just try to fill in the blanks without going over the ULs.

Take a look at my new recipe and let me know what you think, it doesn’t use tomatoes/cocoa or anything. I removed all the other recipes for taste reasons, but this one is okay.

The only ingredients are the oils, dry milk, peanuts and soy lecithin granules. And of course the sweet pepper but I really want to replace that.

The cost is also back down to around $4-5 per day.

It is VERY difficult to do this for someone with a smaller caloric need than me, however.

(Didn’t realise I wasn’t looking at the latest - I had previously added it to my dropbox and expected it to sync)

Peanuts for protein should be a lot less variable than tomatoes - I don’t think I’ve ever seen a peanut that wasn’t exactly the same as every other peanut! I know a low sodium diet is advisable, but I’d probably add a little salt to take sodium up to a gram if I were you.

The question now is… what would it taste like? Olive oil, milk, and peanuts, I guess.

I’m waiting for it to cool down to tell you, but warm it tasted mostly like peanuts and (not surprisingly) had a hint of milk. The oils are really not noticeable once you’ve added enough water to mix it.

All in all it really tastes like liquid peanuts, which is fine with me, my biggest craving on soylent has been peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches.

Yeah good idea, I may actually need the salt for chloride anyways.

Yeah, except for those strange mutant peanuts that didn’t quite turn into a peanut…lol

I also use a whole foods recipe, and I got my cost down to about $3 a day. I’m using whole milk, dry oats, peanut butter, ground flaxseed, whey protein powder, bananas, and papaya.

I could get my recipe down to about that if I ordered in bulk. For some reason I just feel uncomfortable ordering in bulk.

Even if I just get my dry milk from WalMart instead of Krogers I would knock it down to $5 a day.

Can you link me to your recipe? It might give me some good ideas.

I use 4 cups of whole milk, 1 cup of dry oats, 4 bananas, 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 400g papaya, and 2 scoops of whey protein powder.

@kthprog, I tried peanuts in mine today and evidently I didn’t get them fine enough. I couldn’t really, as they just went straight to the outside of my blender and stuck to the walls. They were well crushed, but there are definite bits of nut in my drink still.

How do you deal with this?

Edit: Also, thanks for the tipping me off to peanuts, they are an amazing ingredient! If I buy them in bulk they will replace most of my fibre, protein, AND fat at lower cost than any one of those three were before alone. And they taste better!

Haha, no problem. For me peanuts were the only way to get B vitamins naturally without using meat, which is expensive and not very tasty in a shake lol.

Mine grind up fine in my blender, but I’m not that picky about the crunchiness.

My advice is to get a mortar and pestle and grind them into a powder.

Peanut butter has about the same nutritional profile as peanuts (peanuts themselves will have a little bit more fiber). Blending with whole foods, you have so many options on what you can do, and it’s very cheap as well (definitely cheaper than buying various supplements).

about the same but certain b vitamins fall short.

But how? Peanut butter = peanuts. You put a bunch of peanuts in a food processor with some salt and let it rip until it turns into peanut butter.

Because they’re roasted first.

And roasted peanuts have less nutritional content.

Not with the peanuts it isn’t, unless I’m missing something. Practically 100% of the polyunsaturated fats in peanuts are Omega-6 [source], at a quick guess I’d say your ratio is closer to 3:1.

I actually forgot about that. I change the flaxseed/olive oil combination to just canola oil but it looks like I’ll have to add some flaxseed oil again to balance it, thanks.