The Solent Mug ...Cake? Delicious!

Self Background: Massive gastrointestinal issues. Soylent will hopefully be a nice thing to help me feel like a person on bad days.

So I tried Soylent for the first time today and…It tastes like gritty pancake batter. Not particularly offensive, but even after I chilled it, it was sitting on my desk as I got hungrier and hungrier.

The pancake batter texture made me suspicious that I might like it better as food than a drink, so I whipped this up:

3/4 cup mixed (liquid) Soylent
1/4 cup self-rising flour
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tbsp chocolate syrup
A few drops vanilla

Directions: Combine all in your favourite mug, stir vigorously until ingredients are mixed (batter will be lumpy). Nuke in microwave for ~3 minutes until the centre is solid and spongey.

The result? A REALLY delicious, lightly sweetened cross between mousse and oatmeal that I am enjoying with a spoon. Not gritty at all, just tasty fluffy goodness. I imagine there are many possible variants to this recipe, but the key seems to be the oil, flour, vigorous mixing and 3 minutes in the microwave.

You might be able to skip the flour. I make my keto soylent into a bread in the microwave without issue, it also started as a mug cake experiment. I don’t use any water either, just egg and heavy cream. For a full days worth is 3 eggs, 1 cup of cream, so scale accordingly for individuals batches, this would need about 6 mugs.

Interesting, I’d like to be able to omit the flour for sure. Heavy cream or whole milk sounds like a great substitute for water, too, but I don’t have any of that. Would prefer not to use any egg personally, but if you feel like experimenting with an alternate mug-cake-like recipe using your bread ingredients I’ll happily add it to the original post!

I have seen a lot of recipe threads involving cooking Soylent – pancakes, waffles, muffins, cookies, cakes, etc. They’re awesome, sound delicious and nice to see such creativity.

However, I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but my understanding is that heating up protein powder (definitely) and powdered vitamin/mineral supplements (maybe) destroys much of their nutritional value quite significantly? I believe even mixing with hot coffee or tea is problematic? :frowning:

It would be nice to have Rob Rhinehart’s comments on this…

@Syke – Thank you for that resource. Sounds promising. That’s a relief. Nice to have options to cook!

@foodinapill and @Syke Thanks for the heads up! I tested my second mug cake with a food thermometer and determined that it only reaches 93C internally at its peak - this means it shouldn’t affect nutrient loss significantly except for maybe vitamin C.

Due to already having a full container of mixed Soylent, haven’t had the opportunity to try it flourless. Adding slightly more flour and cooking for a solid 3 minutes leads to a more bread-pudding-like texture.

Heating… other than loss of some vitamins and minerals…could make some of the fats in oil transfat and raise dAGE’s in soylent.

This is true, but Soylent is probably much lower in AGEs than a typical diet.

The average dAGE intake in a cohort of healthy adults from the New York City area was recently found to be 14,700±680 AGE kU/day (24).

The only significant contributor seems to be the canola and sunflower oil, which account for roughly 6,200 kU/day (on a 2,000-calorie diet). The other ingredients may only contribute a minimal amount (possibly less than 100 kU/day). This shouldn’t be surprising:

The current dAGE database demonstrates that a significantly reduced intake of dAGEs can be achieved by increasing the consumption of fish, legumes, low-fat milk products, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains and by reducing intake of solid fats, fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and highly processed foods.

I would love to see Soylent tested for AGE content, regardless. As far as cooking methods:

In all food categories, exposure to higher temperatures and lower moisture levels coincided with higher dAGE levels for equal weight of food as compared to foods prepared at lower temperatures or with more moisture. Thus, frying, broiling, grilling, and roasting yielded more dAGEs compared to boiling, poaching, stewing, and steaming. Microwaving did not raise dAGE content to the same extent as other dry heat cooking methods for the relatively short cooking times (6 minutes or less) that were tested.

I don’t see a great way to estimate the effect of microwaving Soylent on AGE content, but a low temperature plus a moist environment minimizes AGE formation. Compared to other microwaved foods, my best guess is 10-100% additional AGE, so perhaps 6,930-12,600 kU/day.

Do you have a source for the trans fat claim? Everything I found suggests that is incorrect.

Formation of trans fatty acids in edible oils during the frying and heating process
The TFAs amount of potatoes fried by the tenth frying operation was at the level of 0.99–1.05 g/100 g lipids. When 100 g potatoes fried in this process were consumed, the TFAs intake was estimated at less than 0.1 g. After 10 frying operations, TFAs content, acid values and peroxide values of the frying oils were measured and compared with those of corresponding heated canola oils without food. The amounts of trans 18:1 FAs contained both in the frying oil and in heated oil were less than the quantitative limit (0.047 g/100 g oil). The increases of trans 18:2 FAs and trans 18:3 FAs of the used frying oil were 0.02 g/100 and 0.05 g/100 g, respectively, compared with those of the fresh oil. trans 18:2 FAs accumulation in the heated oil was slightly less than that in the frying oil. To elucidate TFAs accumulation in various edible oils during cooking, six kinds of commercially available edible vegetable oils were heated to 180 °C in glass test tubes. Small changes in TFAs amounts were observed after four hours heating. These results suggested that an ordinary frying process using unhydrogenated edible oils has little impact on TFAs intake from edible oils.

Analysis and formation of trans fatty acids in hydrogenated soybean oil during heating
Results showed that among the four columns tested, an Agilent HP-88 column (100 × 0.25 mm I.D., 0.2-μm film thickness) could resolve eight trans fatty acids and nine cis fatty acids simultaneously within 31 min with injector temperature 240 °C, detector temperature 250 °C, and column temperature 170 °C in the beginning, maintained for 24 min, increased to 220 °C at 7.5 °C/min, 230 °C at 10 °C/min, and maintained for 5 min. The contents of both cis and trans fatty acids showed a decreased trend for the increase of heating time or temperature. No trans fatty acid formation was observed even after extensive heating of unhydrogenated and hydrogenated soybean oil for 24 h. This phenomenon demonstrated that trans fatty acids can only be formed under severe conditions.

Formation of trans fats during food preparation.
Baking and stir-frying at normal and/or extreme temperatures do not significantly affect the amounts of trans fats. Likewise, heating oil to the smoking point during stir-frying may decrease the amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids because of oxidative degradation.

In its current form yes, but i said when heated they could increaset. I was not comparing with a typical diet. I was comparing it with unheated soylent.

I dont know if it increases more than in a typical diet or less after its heated. Either way them being raised in soylent could be very unhealthy for the body.

Heating up sugars could also contribute. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product#Foods, the link says fructose and galactose, so i hope the effects of heating isomaltutose/other sugars be tested too.

Although microwaving raised them less than other cooking methods it still raised it to 6,930-12,600 (your estimation). Since we dont know the recommended minimum intake, it would be wise to not microwave it just to be safe.

Having said this…its ultimately upto the individual whether they want to heat it or not. I just shared what i know so that people make an informed decision.

Regarding transfat…I will get back to you on that. I read about it very long back.

I agree (the minimum intake appears to be zero from what I read), but if the choice is normal food or microwaved Soylent I think the latter is probably healthier (unless that person’s old diet was a raw, low-fat vegan diet or otherwise abnormally low in AGEs). Obviously unheated Soylent will be more nutritious than heated Soylent.