The Twinkie Diet!

Some people think that Soylent is unhealthy because it contains simple carbs like maltodextrin. Some object because the fat level is now too high… or too low. Others say it has too little protein. Or too much protein.

My impression from studies is that a lot of the “unhealthiness” of many foods is more a matter of the excess quantity than anything else… If you eat too much, excess fat leads to these problems… excess carbs leads to those problems… excess protein leads to those other problems… but when you don’t overeat in the first place, none of these really look to be the “evil” that some people make them out to be.

I came across an old article today which really reinforces that belief! What happens when you cut your calories a bit, you don’t add any exercise, and you switch most of your diet over to total junk food?

Do you remember THE TWINKIE DIET?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

@MentalNomad, thanks for the motivation to start my all gummy worms diet.

Just be sure to get the kind with sugar. Or it might be a little too powerful a diet.

@inquirerer, thanks for the motivation to start my anything but gummy worms diet.

This also seems relevant to sustained reduced calorie diets, and maybe periodic fasting. Still waiting on that blog ya know :wink:

Ok. The guy’s cholesterol improved and he lost weight. What did his blood sugar, liver function, and other health indicators do?

I can’t find anything specific on his liver health. His cholesterol and blood sugar both improved, his blood pressure didn’t change appreciably.

It’s definitely a “one person” experiment, but I think it does go a long way towards suggesting that the foods themselves aren’t always so much the problem as the amounts of those foods. These kinds of junk foods are associated with all kinds of problems in people who eat them in excess, especially if they have plenty of calories before piling on the junk food… but clearly, they body deals with them quite well when those calories are actually needed.

I’m not saying these are healthy foods; they’re not! But what I am saying is that a large portion of the “unhealthiness” we ascribe to them is not inherent in their nature, it comes from excess quantities of them we consume on top of everything else.

Here’s what Dr. Haub reported:

From his Facebook post:

Blood results…Total cholesterol: Pre=214; wk10=184LDL-C: pre=153; wk10=123HDL-C: pre=37; wk10=46TC/HDL ratio:…

Posted by Prof Haub’s Diet Experiments on Friday, November 5, 2010

And here’s the DXA scan corroborating the fat loss and body comp:

From this Facebook post:

Week 10 assessment.

Posted by Prof Haub's Diet Experiments on Monday, November 15, 2010

If you want more detail, you’ll have to search for it yourself, or contact the man. He clearly makes himself accessible.

His faculty page: http://www.he.k-state.edu/hn/people/faculty/haub/

His Google Scholar citations: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=U3fbTXUAAAAJ&hl=en