The two layers of 1.4

Like others, I’ve noticed the white top layer that appears after the pitcher has been in the fridge for a while. I tried a spoon full of this layer and it is definitely responsible for Soylent’s new distinctive flavor. I didn’t like it. I’m guessing this is primarily the isomaltulose? But I would expect it to taste sweeter. Maybe it’s the starches and oils?

Using my feline like curiosity and super human levels of intelligence I used a straw to taste the bottom part. The bottom tastes much more like earlier versions of Soylent. It was actually pretty good, but very, very thick.

So I have to jump on the "I hate 1.4" bandwagon

There was a layer in my 1.3 this morning, more so than usual because I didn’t bother to use my blender last night. Of course I shook the bottle and it vanished. I imagine it’s the lightest part of the mixture, mainly oil?

yeah I’m guessing it’s the sunflower oil but I really don’t know for sure.

Yeah, it’s probably the oils. I’m wondering if some of the people with the worst reactions to the new stuff are perhaps not shaking the bottle adequately?

:slight_smile: t.w.e.n.t.y.c.h.a.r.s

Definitely not the case here. I shook way more than enough, and I also shake before every single drink if there’s been more than maybe 30 seconds between them. Shaking did absolutely nothing to improve the situation for us anyway, as opposed to 1.3 where that’s all it takes.

And do you use a blender when preparing Soylent? (just checking)

Curious if this plays a role - where do you live? Is the water especially hard, or especially soft? And do you use any add-ins?

And is the layer more creamy (implying fat), or more frothy (could be a product of protein foam fractionation)?

My impulse is to think it’s fat, but I don’t know why your fatty layer would be more persistent against shaking than others’.

I shake a lot…it is pretty gross.

@MentalNomad, I’m in SF, not sure if our water is hard or soft. But I don’t think that’s a factor. Try leaving your Soylent undisturbed overnight. It will likely separate into two layers like mine did.

The top layer seemed a bit watery as I remember it, maybe a little creamy, but I wasn’t focussing on the consistency, more the flavor. It’s definitely responsible for the new distinctive flavor of Soylent. The lower level tasted more like previous Soylent versions.

And I don’t use any blenders, I just shake it up in the pitcher.

Well this sounds like a terrific idea for those worried about the fat. Just scoop off the top layer. Automatic low-fat version. :wink:

Your water is at the hard end of “soft,” but not hard enough to be called even moderately hard.

It also makes for delicious bread.

Very hard water can lead to more foaming; that’s why laundry detergents generally include water softeners. But that’s not the case, here.

Also, it’s definitely not the isomaltulose. As you noted, it’s not sweet - isomaltulose is half as sweet as sugar, but it’s still sweet. Also, there’s less than 44 g of isomaltulose in a package - isomaltulose is about 20% soluble in chilled water. 20% soluble in 2 liters of water means 20% by mass into 2000 grams of water, or 400 grams of isomaltulose should dissolve and stay dissovled.

Fats, on the other hand, are harder to blend into water without aggressive mechanical means. If our store-bought milk were not homogenized first, all the cream and milkfat would float to the top, too.

You might think that a powdered fat is already in tiny sizes and be homogeneous to start with, but maybe not. I don’t know. I’m not sure how small the micro-droplets need to be before the liquid behaves like it’s homogenized.

But I do know that emulsifiers help prevent fat micro-droplets from coming back together, clumping and floating to the top. Many soluble fibers act as emulsifiers, but Soylent reduced the level of fiber, so this may be allowing the fat to separate more easily. Combine that with the fact that there’s now more fat than before, and we may be looking at the answer.

While this is true, there could be a lot of protein in that fraction, too. Protein molecules are hydrophobic and don’t like to stay in water. The fat may rise and take some of the protein with it.

If you aerate water, protein will tend to froth out.

Frothed milk works because of the protein, and skim milk froths better because there’s less fat, which would weigh down the froth and make it collapse into a fatty layer instead of a foam.

Which gives me an idea… maybe people shaking their Soylent are getting a lot of protein frothing which rises to the top, along with the fat? Are people using an immersion blender getting less of this top foam?

Sigh. I haven’t had any actual Soylent since 1.0. Can’t try any of this…

Based on a new thread today, it looks like a lot of people are finally getting their Soylent 1.4 deliveries. Congrats everyone! For any newbies who are curious to what versions prior to 1.4 tasted like, do what I did in the original post of this thread.

And I’m curious if any old timers here have tried this and agree that the bottom layer tastes like 1.3 and earlier versions. (Note, the bottom layer even LOOKS more like previous versions)

Three layers of 1.4
Check out this separation. Hasn’t happened with any other bags. There was the usual froth separation at the top, but also, a layer of white separation about 1/4 up from the bottom of the pitcher.

I made the soylent last night and refrigerated it, as usual. However,I used a blender this time. It was out on the counter, so I thought I’d try it. Usually, I just shake the pitcher, which works just fine.

Also, when I took off the top of the pitcher, after shaking to blend again, instead of the soylent dripping, it was more tacky, like thick drool, where it pulled from the lid, not drip like a liquid. Does that make sense? I still tried a cup and the same thing happened when I’d pull the cup from my lips, like a semi-thick string of drool.

After I noticed the middle layer separation, I shook the pitcher and put it back in the refrigerator. Waiting to see what happens.

Not seen three layers but it does separate into two. I found that shaking it a lot or using an immersion blender makes it stay a uniform mixture.

Cant say the layering is a problem though, as it does remix quite well in the morning with a little shake. If anything, I’d say the pitcher is too small. In the morning I pour some into a 1litre water bottle for work, put stop short and top up with a little fresh water, then add more water to the remaining in the pitcher.
It being slightly thinner seems to help the taste and texture and the pitcher in the fridge hasn’t separated again by the time I return from work.

I’ve been on Soylent since last April. Same pitcher. This bag is the only one that separated into multiple (it’s actually four, huh?) layers. Just found it odd. It re-blended fine. Normal top separation, now.

I get pretty major seperation of the milky appearing fatty section on top that is like 35 - 40 % of my pitcher…

1.4 is pretty difficult to get down. 1.3 seperated but it looked like soylent on the bottom and water pretty much on the top, shake and go… could hardly discern the oil…

1.4 looks like a LOT of fat up there on top…

Wondering if I need to mix the bag of powder or something with 1.4. Will try tomorrow.