The Ultimate DIY Ingredients Thread

The intent of this thread is to document the pros and cons of various DIY ingredients.

Because so many ingredients are available relatively inexpensively from TrueNutrition.com (TN) and in custom mixes directly from them, I’m going to start the thread off with questions about the ingredients they make available for custom mixes which would provide an excellent base for a DIY Soylent.

Please feel free to ask questions or make suggestions for other ingredients not available via TN. I’ll try to update the top of this thread as the thread develops.

I’m planning to add all the ingredients I list below to the DIY ingredients database. I’ve already reached out to Nick (creator of the DIY site) to ask how I can add ingredients to the database. Also gave some suggestions where mg should be used rather than g in the ingredients form and also the ability to use %DV in place of g or mg. For reference, the %DV can be converted to g or mg using this FDA DV Table.

Below are the ingredients available for Custom Mixes from TN. Details on each ingredient can be found via their site.

PROTEINS

• TN Grass-Fed Whey Protein [Milk] - $12.89/lb
  • TN Whey Protein Concentrate - Super Grade [Milk] - $7.99/lb
  • TN Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration [Milk] - $10.39/lb
  • TN Whey Protein Isolate Microfiltrated [Milk] - $10.89/lb
  • TN Hydrolyzed Whey Protein High Grade [Milk] - $12.19/lb
  • TN Hydrolyzed Casein [Milk] - $19.49/lb
  • TN PeptoPro – Hydrolyzed Caseinate [Milk] - $29.29/lb
  • TN Calcium Caseinate [Milk] - $12.39/lb
  • TN Complete Milk Dairy Isolate - $11.49/lb
  • TN Micellar Casein [Milk] - $12.89/lb
  • TN Native Milk Protein Isolate - $15.99/lb
  • TN U.S. Milk Protein - $7.99/lb
  • TN Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO - $6.99/lb
  • TN Hemp Protein Powder - $10.49/lb
  • TN Rice Protein Concentrate – non-GMO - $6.99/lb
  • TN Sacha Inchi Protein Powder - $19.89/lb
  • TN Soy Protein Isolate – non-GMO - $5.99/lb
  • TN Beef Protein Isolate - $11.99/lb
  • TN Egg White Protein - $15.34/lb
  • TN Whole Egg Protein - $13.09/lb
  • TN Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Super Grade [Milk] - $13.89/lb
  • TN New Soy-Free Egg White Protein - $16.44/lb
  • TN rBGH/Soy FREE Whey Protein Isolate [Milk] - $17.79/lb
  • TN Debitterized Hydrolyzed Whey Protein [Milk] - $12.89/lb
  • TN Organic Rice Protein Concentrate - $7.99/lb
  • TN Hydrolyzed Egg White Protein - $38.79/lb

CARBS & FATS

• TN MCT – Medium Chain Triglycerides - $15.69/lb
  • TN Psyllium Seed Husk Fiber - $8.99/lb
  • TN Dextrose - $2.09/lb
  • TN Fructose - $2.69/lb
  • TN Maltodextrin - $2.99/lb
  • TN Swedish Oat Starch - $6.29/lb
  • TN Waxy Maize Starch – Amylocel - $4.99/lb
  • TN Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin - $11.49/lb
  • TN Organic Maltodextrin - $3.69/lb
  • TN Organic Dextrose - $2.79/lb
  • TN ModCarb™ - $10.19/lb
  • TN Sweet Potato Powder - $9.79/lb

ADDITIVES

• TN Vitamin & Mineral Mix (details) - $0.65 per pound of powder ordered above

• TN Protease Enzyme Complex (details) - $0.70 per pound of powder ordered above

• TN Carbohydrate Enzyme Complex (details) - $1.00 per pound of powder ordered above

• TN Electrolytes (details) - $0.65 per pound of powder ordered above

• TN All of the above - $3.00 per pound of powder ordered above

• TN Other combinations of the above are available as well.

So I’m hoping some nutrition/supplement gurus can chime in here.

Any general guidelines when selecting any of the above ingredients for making a good DIY base?
Recommendations for non-vegan and vegan mixes?
What about cheap mixes and high-roller mixes?
Also, if don’t mind educating the rest of us, why do you make the recommendation you make?

Personally, I don’t know a TON about the various sources of protein, carbs, and fat. I used to follow the fads (vegan, paleo, raw, etc.), but now I try to just follow the research. My go to guy is Dr. Walter Willett. I don’t know of anyone else who’s as well credentialed as him.

Also, I’m going to reach out to TN and try and get more details on the micro-nutrient profiles of the above ingredients. More info on this here: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/truenutrition-com-detailed-nutrient-specs/3771

Not really a direct response to the question, but why TrueNutrition? I find Honeyville to offer cheaper prices for the few things they do have. You can go to their website and search these ingredients to order directly.

Here’s what I use for my main ingredients:
Honeyville Soy Protein Isolate - $3.68/lb
Honeyville Oat Flour - $1/lb
Honeyville Maltodextrin - $1.14/lb

I never knew about them. I’ll add that to the post.

One of the benefits of TN is that they premix for you. Ideally, I could get a custom-mix from them based on recommendations here and then supplement with pills or other liquids. We’ll see how it goes.

I too would greatly appreciate any insights to good, better, best nutritional value; ones to avoid, ones that taste great, or horrible. etc.

Some of those protiens and carbs I never previously considered.

great post.
john