Theist or Atheist

So this is a bit of an odd question, and most probably won’t feel the need to answer, but I have noticed a trend with the people I am around, that most of my atheist friends think that Soylent is a pretty cool idea and worth a try, while most of my theist friends think its just stupid and can not understand why I would try something like this.

I wouldn’t think anything like this would play that much of a factor into Soylent, and its not even 100% one way or the other among those I know, but just a weird observation I have made amongst my diverse group of friends.

Please don’t turn this into any bashing of one or the other, just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this?

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Food is as religion, to a seemingly large majority of the populace. This is a big part of why they are so offended at the idea of Soylent, and in many cases clearly threatened by its mere existence.

Worldview doesn’t seem to be a deciding factor among my friends. What does matter is whether they have quasi-religious beliefs about food, like @vanclute said. If the person is a foodie, vegan, vegetarian, or has some particular “miraculous” beliefs about food, then those are the people who have a pretty strong opposition to Soylent. That seems to be true whether they are Christian, Atheistic, Agnostic, or otherwise.

Im bothish
Char limit

I’m theist. And I haven’t noticed any correlation between religious beliefs and opinions on Soylent.

Well, didn’t soylent start out as that techie thing?
I have seen two major motivations for soylent: Convenience and control over food for various health/nutritional issues.

Intuitively I would expect the latter to be more vocal on forums like this (they benefit more from exchange of info), so I cannot really say, how big the fractions are in comparison.

Now, the stereo type of the convenience user I can only imagine the typical IT guy or office worker who sits in front of his monitor the whole day (thats where I am anyway).
… hm, and basically anyone else who works a lot of hours and has no business cooking.

Well, I was trying to go for: Office work, mid to high education and then state that theres a correlation between atheism and higher education, esp. in science related fields like IT. (Not trying to upset anyone by that hypothesis, I think Dawkins claimed something like that in his ted talk, thats where i got the idea)
But now, that doesn’t really work out.

Maybe if OP could try to specify his soylent usage motivation and a little of the social/educational/academic background of the people in his post, we could work further on this wild theory…

[quote=“Neebs57, post:1, topic:15393, full:true”]Please don’t turn this into any bashing of one or the other, just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this?
[/quote]

Pretty much no correlation for me. Most of my friends are atheist, and they divide almost uniformly against Soylent. I don’t know the reaction of my theistic friends.

I would venture it has more to do with people’s relationship to food than to the numinous.

No correlation that I’ve noticed. I’m very much a theist, with a Physics degree (Bachelor’s of Science), and love the idea, because I’m useless in the kitchen and have never had a love of cooking.

My religious views play no part, I’m kind of a foodie in the sense that I appreciate really good restaurants and food. Also I’m someone who doesn’t eat animals except for seafood. I don’t know anyone that I’ve shared with that was against based upon a religious world view. I think peoples opposition is no different to how many look upon vegetarianism or other non mainstream diets, its different and they don’t like different.

I suppose it depends on which religion. Most Christian sects don’t have any dietary guidelines like Jewish kosher or Islamic halal. Jains are ethical vegetarians and some of them are theists. I am a member and employee of a church and there’s been no negative reaction to my Soylent habit.

I would wholeheartedly agree with @asympt - however, sadly, I don’t know what “numinous” means and I’m too lazy to google it. Otherwise I’m completely on the same page!

I’m a foodie and love going to restaurants – the more exotic, the better.

But I love the idea of Soylent. It’s not stopping me from going out to restaurants or eating normal food, so why be so offended at the idea of it? It’s not like I go out to restaurants for every meal…

No correlation at all.

I am a theist and religion has not even factored into one conversation about Soylent.

I completely agree with that. Those with a strong disposition to organic, gluten-free, raw, or all natural foods are the ones who are militantly against Soylent.

I haven’t found any religious correlation between liking the idea and hating the idea, personally. FWIW, I’m agnostic deist, and I love the idea.

That’s one I haven’t seen before, but if did I not have the data I have now, that sounds a lot like how I’d probably end up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just shows that a small data sample of 20 or so friends of mine isn’t really how it is for everyone. Just something odd I’m observing.

Where are you from, if you don’t mind my asking? I’m wondering if it’s a regional phenomenon.

Nebraska. Corn fed beef state, ha

I admire your optimism.