They dropped the price! *Happy dance*

Hey hey, they did it! Down to $54 a week, $216 a month for powdered 1.5!

Is there any way to save money on recurring charge/subscription?
Log your opinions of v2.0 here
Soylent 2.0: Use Less. Do More

Holy crap, I’m not good at math but is it down to $7.70 per day?

Thank you based Rob. I don’t know if it’s due to the increased competition they were seeing, but I’m happy nonetheless. No doubt some people will complain about having ordered their shipment yesterday though. :open_mouth:

Just after I paid to start my subscription this morning at $350 for 35 bags.

Maybe now all the people who were complaining about pricing can quit their belly-aching.

My belly-aching will never end (I’m a consumer – cheaper is better), but this is really phenomenal. $24 bellow the low cost plan for single men, for a product as valuable as this, is something I never thought I’d see before hearing about Soylent.

And that’s with shipping included, and minimal prep/cooking time, which puts the effective cost down around the lowest “thrifty” plan. Very good.

And this nugget from the official blog post on the price drop:

Soylent powder now permanently costs 23% less

(emphasis mine)
So this is a thing, it’ll only go down in price from here, they’re not gonna raise it again. Welcome to the future of food.

So the “permanently” doesn’t apply to future price drops I hope

It’s just their way of saying that 2.0 and a few subsequent versions will maintain a lower price.

It’s protection against naysayers saying this is just to kill old stock, or a temporary marketing move, or whatever.

Obviously they cannot predict the economics that will dictate their price in 20 years…

Yeah, permanently doesn’t mean forever in this context; that would be nonsensical. They mean permanently in the sense of indefinitely, but that doesn’t sound as nice: “Soylent powder now indefinitely costs 23% less.”

Awesomesauce! It’s almost as cheap as my current DIY, and definitely cheaper than the recipe I’ve been working towards.

That was a really stupid thing for them to say. Inflation averages 3%/year so in 8 years the cost of raw materials for Soylent will outstrip that price drop. In order to maintain it and still be profitable to, you know, stay in business they’d need to somehow find 3% cheaper ingredients every year to match inflation.

I’ll be impressed if the price never goes up again.

price drop due to economy of scale, not compition. they can now buy in extra large bulk.
there main compition is still fast food and rice and beans, not biolent. plus, many of the competitors are in other countries, so they arn’t really competing, yet.

They say that the price is “permanently” 23% less. I don’t see that as a promise that the price will never increase, but that it will permanently remain at a significant level below the price of non-powdered Soylent. So if inflation rose 10% next year and the cost of 2.0 also went up by 10%, I wouldn’t see an increase in the price of powdered Soylent as violating the “23% less” statement.

I hope that the powdered Soylent never increases in price, but the real world doesn’t work that way.

Argh!! Click bait… I weep for CNN (and Wired magazine which also seems to be jumping on this buzzfeedesque bandwagon.)

Irregardless (not a word)…

On the discussion of the word “permanent”, I tend to agree… Perhaps a poor word choice selected merely to indicate this price drop is not a temporary gimmick.

That is a pretty impressive price drop, way to go, guys. For anyone else wondering if there was an answer to this question out there yet:

All existing subscribers will have the price cut applied to their next billing cycle.

Here is a link to the blog post about it since I didn’t see this elsewhere in the thread yet: http://blog.soylent.com/post/128059365657/soylent-powder-now-even-more-affordable

Haha, perfect, one day after I subscribed at the old price.

Still, this is awesome. It doesn’t save me money this month, but it will save me money next month.

It’s been quite a while since inflation averaged 3%/year. It’s been under 2% for the past 4 years, and only hit 3% once in the 4 years before that.

I suspect RL is projecting productivity and scale savings that will more than offset expected inflation over the next 3-5 years. If they can hold the price over that period, I think most people will consider this a “permanent” (vs. “temporary”) price reduction.

One other thing I think may be going on here, in dropping the volume discounts and in the use of the word “permanently” to describe the price reduction, is a desire by RL to better align consumers’ purchases with their consumption. Volume discounts and “temporary” price reductions encourage consumers to purchase more that what they need for current consumption, creating an aftermarket in old product (the various swap threads here) and making future purchases less predictable and reliable for RL.