Things are moving too slowly, others are catching up

I see another entrant to the market (Jake Shake) www.jakeshake.eu is up and running and I expect my delivery tomorrow. I’ve seen a few, mainly Dutch companies, set up and start shipping and I wonder why Rosa Labs are taking so long to get their product out there. How hard can it be to man up production once your formula is decided. Here in the UK I’m sure I’m not the only one waiting impatiently for soylent to reach us. I like what Rob has done and would be happy to buy into his vision, however, when is his product likely to reach the shores of the UK?

In the meantime, European companies are grabbing market share and this seems to be because they have the infrastructure in place much quicker than Rosa Labs.

I’ll post a review of Jake once I’ve tried it.

I don’t think it is surprising to anyone, that it is easier for a domestic company to establish infrastructure than it is for a foreign start-up to make inroads into a foreign country. Beyond the logistics, the regulations themselves must be a bear to work through.

There are plenty of other clones. Note, all of the European countries still only ship within the EU.

I concur with your underlying point, as does RL, I’m sure. Rob would love to reach the shores of the UK before too much market share is grabbed. But RL is also banking on the fact that their product (with all the extensive research) is superior, and will be able to make inroads in these “already-tapped” markets.

I agree with @Ric

Some may love knockoffs, but when the real deal is available and affordable, the knockouts die.

Don’t think they will die honestly, Joylent is actually pretty good and one of the cheapest at the same time, even compared to the official Soylent… I will however buy the official Soylent once they begin shipping to us here in Europe.

Do note that they didn’t have the infrastructure before Soylent.

If Soylent reaches a certain level of popularity, I would be a bit surprised if a large corporation didn’t jump into the fray with a competing product, or attempt to take over Soylent outright.

Obviously there are so many variables with competitive business.
I you have a fantastic name brand product that is ubiquitous and CHEAP, there are less likely to be competitors.

Take away one thing from the equation (great product, ubiquitous, cheap) then there will be competitors and some may do even better than the name brand.

It would be interesting to have some of EU’s alternate Soylent offerings just to try out.

Regardless of the success of Soylent the brand, this is great for soylent the idea. If Rob is serious about his ‘saving the world through food’ mantra, having many companies jump on the bandwagon is wonderful.