This July 4th, join us in celebrating Freedom From Food #FFF2015 #FreeFromFood

Hey soylent people, as many of you know we here at KetoSoy are huge proponents of powdered food and are doing what we can to advance understanding of this new food technology wherever we can.

To try to counteract some of the “but you’re giving up food / slave to soylent / dystopian future” misinformation out there, we’re asking powdered food consumers to share with their friends and family how powdered food adds richness to their nutritional lives. But, we want to do it in a surprising way that drives home the point. We want you to join us in celebrating NOT eating powdered food at your July 4th BBQ.

We’re asking all powdered food consumers to post two statuses to your social networks this weekend with the hashtags #FFF2015 or #FreeFromFood

• One with a picture of your favorite powdered food replacement drink (KetoSoy, soylent, or whatever brand you consume)
  • and a second one with a picture of some delicious “real food” you’re consuming this weekend (we suggest steak and salad, but just because we’re keto doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate that some people prefer a burger or grilled corn).

The full details of Freedom From Food 2015 are available here: http://www.ketosoy.com/blogs/news/35199557-this-july-4th-join-us-in-celebrating-freedom-from-food-fff2015-freefromfood

Giveaway
To give people an incentive to talk about this, and because we can’t resist the temptation to extend the alliteration even further, we’re doing a giveaway of one week of our product, the Freedom from Food for Free giveaway – https://gleam.io/uXYxj/freedom-from-food-2015

Discounts
If you’re in the market for some KetoSoy this July 2nd through 6th – get 10% off your order by using the coupon code FFF2015 on http://www.ketosoy.com. Spend the savings on something delicious that looks good on camera. (if any other lowercase-s soylent producers join the promotion, we’ll update this section with thier coupons as well)

We hope you’ll join us!

100%FOOD joins the celebration!

Pls. use promo codes for 10%OFF: FFF2015 or FreeFromFood at www.spacenutrientsstation.com and www.100percentFood.com

How can it be “Freedom From Food” if soylent products are food?
(Was sure to use the small “s” soylent there!)

Excellent question. In this case I am using the “power over” definition of freedom. With soylent (lower case) I have enough power over food as to say I am free from it. I don’t worry about having enough, or having enough time to make it, or what I’ll eat next. My life is free from concern about food. I am free from concern about food. I have power over food, food doesn’t have power over me.

It’s too late now, but perhaps it would have been better called “Freedom From Conventional Food,” or simply “Food Freedom.”

Food freedom may have been a better tag.

Also, as someone pointed out on reddit #ff2015 is a valid hexadecimal color, and a nice shade of red

Dear Community,
I suppose this thread is as good as any to compose my first post as a new member of the family. Just after midnight, tonight, July 13th, 2015, I ordered a single purchase of Soylent for $85. I first saw the word ‘Soylent’ in Facebook feed a couple years ago and I thought it had to do with “Soy” and the 40 days before Easter, “Lent.” Not until I saw the creator/engineer guest appear on the Colbert Report was I prompted to investigate. I watched the promo video online of him in what looks like a large parking garage while a female narrator seemingly implies that eating is overrated. At first, I must say it made the future seem a bit eerie, but I’ve pondered the same issues Soylent can remedy/overcome.

About me/My set-up:
-I ordered finally after having tonsils/uvula removed and I can’t really chew much, and it hurts to swallow anything anyways.
-250lbs, 5’10", and a BMR of around 2,200 Cal (I may be ‘obese’, but I’m built in such a way you wouldn’t think it…trust me)
-I’ve had my tonsils taken out for half a dozen reasons, being: getting sick all the time, sleep apnea, and the least of which were bad breath and snoring, the most important was preventing any cancer at a later time and, lastly, all those reasons helping contribute to my losing weight, hopefully.

I really think I can create a daily calorie deficit with Soylent that I can lose weight. I’ve already read a few comments that say Soylent is a cookie-cutter approach, but I happen to be quite average, so the cookie cutter looks a good fit for me right now, especially since I am on a liquid diet for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

From a bachelor’s perspective, I’ve pondered the cost of feeding myself eating out versus cooking in, and for the sake of the example, I chose Taco Bell @ $25 per day = 5 small meals consisting of 3 or 4 dollar menu items each. Over $10,000 a year for one person on JUST food, yes. BUT, If you NEVER buy an:
1.) oven
2.) refrigerator
3.) deep freeze
4.) dish washer
5.) plates
6.) silverware
7.) microwave
8.) glasses/cups
AND, if I NEVER had to spend time cooking the food, shopping for and buying the food from the market, or clean up after myself, I WONDERED…“Could it be worth it and How?” On the other hand, it means you can only eat when Taco Bell (or whatever restaurant) is actually OPEN for business.

I don’t suggest anyone go living on Taco Bell, but I am really totally looking forward to receiving my Soylent. I think it’s a great thing that I heard it’s open source. I’m just a regular joe, but it all sounds really cool and science-y. Here’s hoping my body doesn’t go into a state of ketosis before I get my Soylent…(or not).
Thanks for reading,
-Mike-
#FFF2015 #ff2015 #FreeFromFood

It’s not really that open source. They keep their recipe extremely secret.

@atheist4thecause Have you seen the spreadsheet that Soylent has made publicly available that contains the individual ingredients, weight for each ingredient, and a breakdown of the nutritional content (macros and micros) for each ingredient? That seems very open to me, although if you really wanted to know the amount of sunflower oil, canola oil, and maltodextrin you’d have to break down the nutritional information for that line in the spreadsheet and come up with the ratio; this wouldn’t be too difficult. Similarly you’d have to analyze the “stabilizers”, but that could be more difficult to split out (it’s only 1.8 grams in version 1.5, though).

Yeah, but in the end, open source means it is open to everyone to make. Soylent’s full recipe is protected so that’s not open source.

@AndyKing @atheist4thecause I think I see what you mean. Similarly with software, there is “Shareware,” “Freeware,” and even sheet music, “Public Domain,” so for it to be truly “Open Source,” would mean some additional info(?).
I’ve read somewhere Elon Musk made his “Tesla” car open source. Not sure if that’s the same thing either. I’m not saying I’m going to build an electric car a la Tesla Motors, or start modifying my own batch of “Mike’s Own Soylent Blend” right away, but just saw it as a step toward being able to really feed the hungry in the World, easily, once and for all. And I’ve read some of the chief complaints by some who require the same amount of nutrition in fewer calories (i.e. 1700 Cal/day needs, but not consuming ALL of your Soylent in a day would leave you missing out on some nutrition; and conversely, someone wrote about if you need more than 2K Cal/day, and you use just drink more, you potentially get more than your recommended amount of (overdose?) of Vitamins/Minerals.
I just know this is making me hungry. I think it’s cool I still get a pitcher and scoop since it’s my first order.
Thanks for reading,
-Mike-

The DIY recipe community that they have set up allows people to make and share their own versions of Soylent. Some are close to the official recipe, and some are not.

We can’t possibly recreate the official stuff because they use a few things that are only available on an industrial scale. The vitamin mix is custom from some supplier. The rice protein is only available from one manufacturer. Etc…

They can be called open because they’re more open about just about everything than any other company. If you read the nutrition label, you can read just about every ingredient that is included. This is how some of the DIY recipes are able to get so close to the actual recipe.

It is open to everyone to make. Pull up the spreadsheet, obtain the ingredients, and mix it up. RL won’t stop you. There’s no patent on the ingredients. There’s no copyright on the ingredients.

But lets not label something it’s not. If it’s open source, that means the company is completely open about everything and hands out the recipe to anybody who wants so they can reproduce it exactly. With Soylent, the official recipe is purposefully protected. Sure, they tell you what’s in it, but the exact recipe is not available (and they’d be dumb to give it out). Also, I find it strange to call the DIY Soylent open source as if that is coming from Rosa Labs. Those DIY recipes can be highly unhealthy and don’t have to go through what the official Soylent has to go through with government protections. It is the DIY individuals making those open source, not Rosa Labs. I could make one of those tomorrow and give it to the public, but hopefully you guys wouldn’t trust it.

Technically they are open source if they are giving you all the ingredients though. Just because you can’t buy them all because you don’t have access to industrial scale materials isn’t really their fault.

Every food gives every ingredient so is every food open source?

What is your definition of open source? Giving you everything that you need to make your own as well as providing tools and a platform with which to create and share your creations is pretty much as open source as you can get.

My definition of open source is giving me all the information I need to make it exactly as they do. They need to give me the instructions. They can hide nothing as hiding anything goes against the nature of open source.

If the food provides exact quantities of every ingredient, then yes. A lot of foods include things like “natural and artificial flavors”. Those are most assuredly not open source. Soylent used to include those, but fortunately they removed them so that there is nothing hidden anymore.

Okay, so explain to me how I make the official Soylent recipe.