Three bottles a day okay?

I’ve just started with Soylent 2.0 today and I have some powder coming also to compare taste and such.
My main purpose for using Soylent is that I’m tired of counting calories to try to lose weight and I just don’t get a whole lot of joy out of eating anyway so I don’t feel like I’ll miss it.
I would like to lose 30 lbs I never lost after having kids over the next few months. I’ve had three bottles today and it’s nearly the end of the day and I’m feeling quite happy and not hungry at all.
What I’m wondering is if I do this for a few months am I going to be deficient in anything since it’s assumed that you’re going to drink five a day? Should I take vitamins to make up for it? That seems like an easy solution but is it enough?

Nothing wrong with taking half a vitamin just to be sure.

Just FYI it seems like it takes a few months before you even start seeing symptoms of a deficiency. But I assume it depends on the vitamin in question.

I don’t think that’s assumed at all — not everyone needs 2000 calories a day, and if you’re anything like me, you may find that other foods taste incredible after a few days eating just Soylent.

If you’re anything like me, 60% of the optimal vitamins and minerals is going to be better than you were getting before. So an extra vitamin won’t hurt, but it’s probably not necessary.

Just be careful about drinking only 3 bottles a day. It’s likely you actually need more calories than that, so most days you should need either 4 bottles, or a healthy snack in addition to the 3.

Actually that is the assumption if you are going 100% Soylent. It is designed for the “average” person needing 2000 calories a day. Of course none of us is average, it’s one of the flaws of the prepackaged stuff and why I like DIY slightly better.

Ah sorry — when I said I didn’t think 5 bottles a day was assumed, I means I didn’t think Rosa Foods assume that all (or even most) people will drink five bottles a day in practice, even if Soylent is all the food they’re eating.

When you say it is the assumption, do you mean like Soylent is designed to be 100% nutrition assuming you’re eating 2000 calories a day of it?

Yes

Gotcha. Some further discussion of that here: Danger of ingesting too many micronutrients?

I would recommend heading over to the Soylent calorie guestimator to get an idea of what a reasonable calorie target is for someone your size and age.

https://diy.soylent.com/nutrient-profiles/calculator

Thanks
I’ve looked it up before and plan on bumping it up to 1,600 calories after losing the weight I would like to. This would just be for a few months.

I meant it has the right amount of nutrients and micronutrients based on 2,000 calories if you’re only using Soylent and no other food sources. So I was worried I could become deficient in something.
My diet is pretty terrible anyway so it’ll probably be an improvement regardless.

I think you’ll be fine. As said above, 60% of your daily RDA is better than a lot of people get, and when you’re on a low calorie diet you don’t need the full amount of some nutrients anyway.

The most likely problem you’ll hit, in my (very uneducated) opinion, is low salt. Some people who have nothing but Soylent have reported feeling headachey and/or weak unless they add in some salt.

That’s a really good point that deserves repeating. 60% of the daily sodium is the one thing that’s almost certain to be too low. Add some salt to your Soylent, or eat a salty snack.

I just want a nutritionally complete pretzel.

If this is your purpose, why not eat a ketogenic diet, one high in fat, oil, and protein, and very low in sugar and starch, so your body switches from glycolysis to ketosis? Weight loss will be natural, and health should improve. Since you don’t get much joy from eating, switching to a ketogenic diet should be easy for you. Don’t forget to take vitamins and other needed supplements. And don’t forget good rest and exercise, too.

This is not a good forum to discuss off-topic issues. Just search the web for ketosis and learn about it yourself.

Low carb doesn’t have to be taken to that extreme to be healthy. In the long run you don’t lose more weight.

Yes, that is what is commonly believed by people who have not researched or had personal experience with a ketogenic diet. But let’s leave this topic alone so we don’t confuse the OP, WednesdayBites. She clearly has already had lots of experience with ordinary low-carb diets.

Right because someone with an opinion different than yours couldn’t possibly have done any research at all.

You have apparently misunderstood me. I did not say that there is no positive research on ordinary low-carb diets. I said I recommended that this woman find out about ketogenic diets, which are excellent for eliminating obesity and certain other illnesses. You apparently proved my point by posting a study of a low-carb diet instead of studies in ketogenic diets, which you evidently have not researched or tried yourself. It is so easy to criticize, and your post is a classic example of criticism with an illogical rationale. I’m sure by now our conflict has turned off the OP and she will continue to struggle with ordinary low-carb diets, which can be very difficult for those who are prone to obesity. Your lack of compassion for these people in the pursuit of mindless criticism is astounding.

Stop. Just stop.