Time between release of 1.4 and 1.5

I was trying to decide if the wait between 1.4 and 1.5 was a long one or not, so I looked at the time between releases so far:

Version 1.0
Issued: 05/01/2014
Days since previous version: N/A

Version 1.1
Issued: 10/02/2014
Days since previous version: 154

Version 1.2
Issued: 11/10/2014
Days since previous version: 40

Version 1.3
Issued: 12/11/2014
Days since previous version: 31

Version 1.4
Issued: 02/25/2015
Days since previous version: 76

Edit (Now that 1.5 has been released):

Version 1.5
Issued: 06/01/2015
Days since previous version: 96

Average days between version releases (so far): 79.4

@JRod0802 did a good roundup in The Unofficial Soylent Version Changes Thread on March 4. His is the last post:

Yeah, all that info has been on the soylent wikipedia page for awhile. I was mainly calculating for the days in between, average, and if that indicates anything for 1.5 release.

I was hoping there would be a new version very soon, since I am on my second month of 1.4 and was ready to move on. But they will be taking my $255 tomorrow, so I guess at least a third month is likely for me.

I don’t think the average days indicate much, because the numbers are so disparate. The “154 days” was the first revision, which would clearly take a longer-than-normal time since so much work and time went into getting the original out, in addition to a huge backlog.

The you have relatively-short times because they are minor tweaks in ingredients, followed by a longer-time period (roughly double the previous two times) because of a major revision (no separate oil).

So unless we can guess with close certainty the nature of the next revisions, I think it is difficult to depend on averages. I actually don’t necessarily subscribe to the guess that the next revision will be of the major variety, but I think the numbers only show that there are either “tinkering” changes every month, or major changes every 2.5 months or longer.

Thanks for the posting. It gives a sense of the amount of time between each one and the amount of time that might be left.

I am thinking sometime in the next 30-60 days, if I had to bet on it.

It is better than no information, though. Yes, probably not perfect, but gives a better sense of it than just having it float out there without any info. Obviously, it is going to depend on the amount of edits and modifications needed, but up until I saw this post, I had thought it was taking a lot longer than the previous waits. (Based on nothing but my intuition.) Glad to see that intuition was incorrect.

Interestingly, the average (75.25 days) is pretty close to the latest time period, between 1.3 and 1.4. (76 days)

In turn, the current wait (71 days as of me writing this) is pretty close to both of those numbers.

Would I be surprised to see it go 80 or 90 days in between this time? No.
Would I be surprised to see it go 154 or more days (time between 1.0 and 1.1) in between this time? Yes.

If nothing else, looking at the wait times has given me an upper bound on what I would consider normal.

Where can I see when 1.5 begins shipping?

I would assume they will announce it on the blog when it starts shipping. They have for the previous ones.

Also, there will probably be many-a threads on it on this message board within hours of the announcement.

It has now been released.

Also, I updated the initial post to reflect the days since 1.4.

Somebody asked on the facebook page if they order today will they receive 1.5, Soylent replied: “Yes.”

Yes. See the official thread on the 1.5 release for more information. I was just updating the timeline in this thread now that it has been released.

156 days (5 months and 3 days) since the last version of the powder formula.

Ignoring the possibility that any new edition (bottled, solid, flavors, etc.) resets the counter, this breaks the record of longest time between versions.

I’m now a bit eager to see how long this hiatus will continue.

One thing I see as far as the activity on discourse is there really aren’t a lot of complaints on 1.5 like there were on the earlier version. Early 1.x had gas/digestion issues which was probably the main thing driving changes. 1.4 was slimy/had consistency or texture issues. I don’t see a lot of complaints on 1.5.

They mentioned updating to 1.6 to use algae like 2.0 does.

But yea, not really any complains about 1.5

Well, I think a lot of complaints about 1.4 turned into complaints about 1.5 also – the essence was that neither were 1.3! So those people left and aren’t here to complain about 1.5.

I have liked every version of Soylent since I started with 1.2, but 1.3 was a particular favorite of some of us.

Soylent 1.5 still causes me horrible gas if I use it for more then 2/3 of my caloric intake. I am counting pennies so I can’t afford Soylent 2.0 and therefore am desperately waiting for the powder version to catch up to 2.0.

Did you try 2.0 for more than 2/3 of your caloric intake?

Yes! Soylent 2.0 is incredible. I felt great and had no gas! I would be 100% on Soylent 2.0 if I could. Unfortunately my wife can’t figure out why spending more money than we make each month is a bad thing. Therefore, even though I make well over $100,000 a year, I can’t afford an extra $100 a month to go with the premixed version. My DIY is around $150 a month. I haven’t decided if I have to drop Soylent completely or just stick to the powder.