Tips/Help with Health/Lifestyle Changes

I’ve been on 75% Soylent 2.0 for a little over 2 weeks now. I’ve decided to use Soylent in order to have quick nutritious meals instead of eating all the crap I typically ate. I have breakfast/lunch/snack of Soylent (7a/10a/2p) and then I have dinner which is usually chicken breast/fish and a side dish (potatoes/rice/vegies varies) around 5pm. Saturday’s are a bit different since I typically eat less.

I’ve noticed I get nauseas after eating dinner. Sort of like that “I ate too much” gross feeling. Last night was a bit different where I almost threw up. This seemed a bit troubling to me (I’ll be scheduling an appointment with my doctor once he gets back from vacation). It could be that it is entirely psychological in nature. I’m considering moving over to 100% Soylent with Protein shakes and the occasional meal out with the fiancée. Has anyone had any of the same issues I’ve been experiencing with dinner nausea?

I’ve started doing strength training 4 days a week with cardio all days + 1 extra day of cardio at the same time I switched to the diet above. I’ve gone up and down 1 lb but to me it’s been surprising due to my calorie deficit. I’m in no means taking it easy on myself during these workouts. While I don’t expect “crazy” results immediately I just don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere. My stats are as follows.

Weight: 195
Height: 5’7
BMR: 1900 (depending on the site)
TDEE: 2462 (I’m using “light exercise” as the option. I prefer being conservative.)

Does anyone have any tips? Am I consuming too little calories and my body is going into conserve mode? Any other tips anyone can suggest I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

I don’t see exactly what kind of results you are looking for. If your body is telling you you had too much for dinner, maybe that is true. 100% Soylent sounds reasonable, at least to try it out for a week or so.

What time do you normally do your workouts? I find it hard to keep large amounts of solid food down during and shortly after physical activity, so I have Soylent or other liquid meal replacements at those times and just have my solid meals when I’m fully relaxed.

I think we need more information. If you’re trying to lose weight and you’re not, despite exercise and counting calories, and you feel like you ate too much, I’d echo what @geneven said: eat less. You give your BMR and TDEE but how much are you actually eating every day? You also say you’re exercising 4+ days a week but you don’t say for how long. You could try eating your BMR (1900 calories/day). You’d lose weight slowly at that caloric intake without doing any exercise.

Sorry for not providing as much information… I am trying to lose weight. I’m consistently staying between 1500-1600 calories. I feel full at the end of the day. If I feel hungry throughout the day I measure the time between my last mea where I’ll wait a min of 3 hours.

My workouts that have strength involved are 35 minutes of cardio followed by 35 minutes of strength training. My extra day of cardio is 30 minutes.

Based on my caloric intake I should be in theory losing some weight but it is not. My only thought was my body is going into conservation mode since my calorie deficit is too high.

That’s a substantial amount of weekly exercise, I’d say you’re losing fat and gaining muscle. I’m not sure why your overall weight hasn’t changed though

Assuming you’re counting calories (are you weighing/measuring the “normal” food you eat to get accurate numbers?), you should be losing weight (just over 1 lb/week). Assuming you’ve been doing 1500-1600 calories for 4 weeks, that means if you started at a scale weight of 195 pounds you’d be at about 191 pounds. However, four weeks is not a long time, and four pounds is not a lot of weight. I’m taller and weigh more than you, but I’ve measured my daily weight fluctuations to be ±5 pounds, and I’m weighing at the same time every day in the same conditions (i.e., just woke up, pre-breakfast, post-bathroom, totally naked). I’m assuming a lot of that is water weight, as I always weigh more on days after increased sodium intake (pizza!).

I’m not an expert, but I’ve never heard of “conservation mode.” If you eat severely restricted calories (or no calories), your body will cannibalize its tissues for energy (both fat and muscle). This is the same mechanism that produces normal weight loss, just at a more rapid pace (so rapid it’s unhealthy/dangerous). So to lose weight healthily you should shoot for a slight caloric deficit over a long period of time (something that’s sustainable), unless your doctor tells you otherwise.

I think some people have an unrealistic expectation of how weight loss works. Look at this weight loss graph (found on our discourse), for example:

Is it actually true that person lost weight or plateaued every single day for two months (and an impressive 235 to 210 pounds as well!)? It’s possible, but I’d be surprised. I think it’s more likely that someone who wants to lose weight finds it psychologically helpful to only record static weight and weight loss. I would expect a graph more like this:

One month, the overall trend is downward (234 to 230 overall), but with real daily decreases, increases, and plateaus.

Another graph that looks more legit:

I think it’s in kg, so the peak is about 183 pounds, down to 157 pounds, then ending at about 172 pounds (also note the longer time scale).

If you’re not already, using a calorie/weight tracker like MyFitnessPal will help you out in the long run.

@wezaleff Thanks for the graphs and your input. It definitely is I think part that I have unrealistic expectations of the weight I should be losing. I’ve been monitoring my calories through MFP and have been to an extent “weighing” my food. If for example I buy a pack of chicken breasts that total 1 lb and there are 2 similar looking pieces I guesstimate that they’re each 1/2 lb. Of course I am most likely completely wrong but it gives me a really good sense of the quantity. One thing I do measure out is my non protein pieces. For example I do pull out rice and place it inside a measuring cup. Once again it most likely is not exact but it gives a good indication to me.

My initial thoughts with this change that I’ve made was I would get very similar results that I’ve read both here on discourse and on reddit with people losing “water weight” during the first week or two. I got the completely different result even when adding what I consider a moderate amount of exercise.

Thank you for giving me that little kick in the butt to say it’s just my body reacting differently (even though deep down I knew it. Sometimes it takes some random person to say that). I’ll obviously continue to monitor this and see where I’m at 6 weeks from now. While that alone isn’t a substantial amount of time it should give a better indication.

Also something to think about is weight fluctuations throughout the day (from consuming food/drink and expelling waste), which means weighing at the same time every day is important. I find first thing in the morning before consuming anything is best.

That’s miles ahead of how well most people estimate.

@HealthyBlogger I always take weight readings at the exact same time. I wake up do number 1 then immediately weigh myself. I’m currently weighing myself every 3 days that way I get an average since I know weight tends to fluctuate.

Here is my recent weight loss chart, in case it helps. I’m 5’10" male and 30 y/o. You can see the weight on the chart :stuck_out_tongue:

I weight every morning after using the restroom, and it is automatically recorded online (Withings scale) except for when I was out of town.

When I’m in town, (not the time periods without weigh-ins) I’ve been doing about 80-90% soylent. I started out with Soylent 1.1 that I had laying around actually, then 1.5, and now I’ve been using 2.0 for about a month and a half. With 2.0 lately, I currently have 3 bottles a day usually, plus some extra food (usually protein related), or 4 bottles a day, for about 1600 calories a day. I do strength training at the gym once a week, and occasional hiking. When looking at the chart, I almost always jump up a couple pounds on the day after the gym. I do eat more on gym days, about maintenance level calories I think, but I think a lot of it is water, helping to recover the muscles and such.

Oh, also, I didn’t start the gym until Dec 8th. I feel like my weight loss has slowed down since I started, but I can definitely already tell that I have gained muscle. Now, about a month after starting the gym, I feel like I’m seeing more losses. I think you will too!

Anyways, thought it might help to have another example!

You might be gaining muscle which would offset the fat loss and keep you at a similar weight, although I’m not sure since you’re eating so few calories. One study showed the best weight loss and muscle gain was achieved with a 500kcal deficit and supplementing with casein protein.

I’m guessing he means starvation mode. Here’s an article talking about it, probably not the problem right now though:

Seems like the weightlifting should also help mitigate that.

Ooh, is that my graph? I think that’s my graph! Hooray!

For the record, I’m still trending back downward, although I’ve plateaued a bit this past month.

Hey me too, great minds. (Plus I found that seemed to give me the lowest readings, I love how the brain will immediately try to game any kind of measurement.)

One thing though:

Weighing yourself every three days doesn’t give you an average. It just gives you whatever your weight happens to be on the days you do weight yourself.

I personally think it’s better to 1. weigh yourself every day, and 2. (this is the hard part) ignore each individual daily weight, otherwise you’ll go crazy wondering why such a great food and exercise day yesterday hasn’t resulted in a lower weight today.

Instead, look at something like a 10-day rolling average (each day, add up the last ten day’s weight measurements including today, and divide by ten). If that’s staying the same or going down, then you’re doing okay. If it’s not, then you can think back over the past ten days to see what’s caused that, rather than just the previous day.

If it’s not going down long-term, then maybe you don’t need quite as many calories to maintain your activity level. Everyone is different, and all the estimates of how many calories you need are just that — estimates — even when based on your height and weight and gender and such.

Good on you for maintaining those diet and exercise habits though, that’s great work. The graph you never see is your health if you weren’t doing that stuff. I’m sure you are getting benefits from it, even if it’s not (yet) the specific benefits you want.

Do your Withings scales estimate body fat percentage too? Is that declining?