Tired of Soylent yet?

No this isn’t what you think it’s going to be! :stuck_out_tongue:

@vanclute this one is probably more for you. When Rob started his Soylent journey he mentioned that with the flavour it’s something that you won’t tire of easily.

My housemate is betting I won’t be able to last a week let alone three months on 100% Soylent and water because I’ll get bored of it. Just wondering how those of you who have had the official Soylent for a while are finding it, are you tiring of the taste?

:slight_smile: lets just say you did get tired of the taste… nothing would stop you from adding another taste to it, which is the whole point of it being as neutral as possible :wink:

Vanclute has been experimenting with his Soylent a little I noticed, like cookies and that juice thing, but plenty have lived on it for more than a month now, and they are still doing so… that might be the answere you looking for

It’s day 3 of soylent for me and I am already having dreams of eating. What my conscious mind craves, my subconscious remembers.

im in the same boat as you. I actually like the taste but when lunch time comes around and folks are eating at their desk… Holy cow do i have to walk out… If I had to, the taste I dont think would get old. Its more like water to me now… Its boring, but i need it so ill deal.

Not tired of it at all, just that occasionally I’m in a particular mood for something different. Pretty much like any of us with any food really… sometimes you just want a certain thing. But it’s never a “I CRAVE THIS AND MUST HAVE IT OR I’M GOING TO DISMEMBER A SMALL CHILD!” kind of thing.

I agree with Rob and now I really understand how it’s so neutral that it’s impossible to “get bored” of. It’s counter-intuitive, but we’ve found it to be true. It tastes kinda like whatever you expect it to (as some of us noted in another thread). It’s so non-specific that I can’t imagine ever getting tired of it. But note that, this is very different from never feeling like something else. I may have Soylent cookies, or a smoothie, or pancakes at Denny’s… but I can’t imagine ever considering, for even a moment, not having Soylent anymore. For me that would be like considering not having milk anymore (pre-Soylent, milk was an absolute every-day staple my entire life. Now it’s a rarity… which in itself is very very strange! LOL)

But of course, everyone is different. Spaceman seems certain that “you will get bored of Soylent and want other flavors”. For me, I don’t see that at all… I wouldn’t want to have a whole shelf full of flavored Soylents. That just doesn’t appeal to me, in large part because I specifically want something that requires NO THOUGHT at all. Just grab & go about my life. I love not having to consider what flavor of something I want, or how I want it prepared, or what I’m in the mood for, etc.

Yet on those occasions that a specific craving DOES come on (I could really go for a grilled cheese right about now…) then I go have that, and I invest the time, energy, and money into making it happen. But the rest of the time… it’s Soylent all the way, baby! :wink:

“Food” is now something I deal with entirely on my own terms!

I’m a business week into and I’m fine with the taste.

I think its partly a matter of individual taste, individual normal food desire, and what your motivations are.

I LIKE the texture, and grittiness. But I also used to juice twice a day ( fresh cold pressed veggies mostly ). So I enjoy some texture, some off-flavors, etc.

I’m on my third day of Soylent, and I haven’t gotten tired of it yet. However, I have been mixing it with the Crush Water Enhancers. Since I eat it in 12 oz increments, I add one squirt to each 12 oz “meal.” It gives it a nice fruit flavor, and it shades it in whatever color the enhancer happens to be (usually pink/red since I prefer the strawberry).

Not bored at all. Day 44.

As @vanclute said so beautifully: [quote=“vanclute, post:5, topic:14269”]
on those occasions that a specific craving DOES come on (I could really go for a grilled cheese right about now…) then I go have that, and I invest the time, energy, and money into making it happen. But the rest of the time… it’s Soylent all the way, baby!
[/quote]

But! I do find if a I crave something else (say…pizza) I tend to eat way less of it and get bored with it quickly. Who would’ve thought I’d get bored with conventional food? Crazy.

I’d recommend trying this grilled cheese. It looks amazing:

(From http://altonbrown.com/grilled-grilled-cheese/)
Grilled Grilled Cheese
Recipe Courtesy Alton Brown 2014

4 (1/2-inch slices) hearty country bread
1 ounce unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot)
3 ounces grated gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Spritz 2 pieces of newspaper lightly with vegetable oil and place in the bottom of a charcoal chimney starter. Fill the chimney starter with natural chunk charcoal, 2 to 3 pounds, and set on the charcoal grate of a kettle grill until hot and ashy, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, butter the bread slices on each side. Combine the cheeses, mustard, paprika and pepper in small bowl.

3. Fold a long (24-inches) piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil in half. Set a large metal griddle spatula in the center and fold the sides up around the spatula, forming a tray. Spritz the spatula-tray with vegetable oil. Repeat with a second piece of aluminum foil and another griddle spatula. Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the spatula-trays, and set aside. Set aside two additional 15-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil.

4. Carefully and distribute the hot charcoal onto one side of the charcoal grate. Set the cooking grate in place and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.

5. Set the cheese-filled spatula-trays on the grill over indirect heat. Cook for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles around the edges. You may have to adjust the placement of the spatula-trays to ensure even melting and keep the cheese from overheating and breaking.

6. Grill the bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side over direct heat.

7. Place 1 slice of bread on each of the reserved sheets of aluminum foil. Pour off excess grease into a bowl, if desired, then drizzle one spatula’s worth of cheese onto one slice of bread and top with the a second slice of bread. Fold the foil around the sandwich. Repeat with remaining cheese and bread slices, and then return the sandwich packets to the grill over indirect heat for 1 to 2 minutes.

8. Unwrap and serve immediately

Yield: 2 sandwiches
Servings: 2
Active Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 16 minutes

I know I’m usually the oddball in cases like this, but that is so unappealing to me I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I guess I’m just tailor made for Soylent. The more “gourmet” something is, the less I want anything to do with it.

I don’t care about a lot of “gourmet” foods as well (Looking at you, prosciutto,) but I absolutely love cheeses, so this looks amazing to me.
That’s what is so amazing about the body- all of us have such different tastes and diets, yet (in general) we all are able to live fairly healthy lives for so long.

LOL… 40+ mins to make two cheese sandwiches.

Not trying to disparage here, this sounds really good. If I had a craving for grilled cheese and some time on my hands I am totally on board with making this. Just thought it was pretty comical to see that amount of prep time for a couple grilled cheese sandwiches. :smiley:

And that’s where Soylent really shines. A total of 2-3 minutes of prep for an entire day’s worth of meals.

A good friend of ours (who knows about our Soylent use and has tried and liked it) was telling me last night how he was completely fried and exhausted, his wife is out of town on business, his son was out with some friends, and he hadn’t eaten all day, had a headache, and there was no food in the house. I just told him… “wow, could you please sell me a little bit harder on Soylent?” LOL

And despite being a very proud self-described “foodie”, he’s quick to acknowledge that at times like that, Soylent would be just perfect. I can’t see how it doesn’t have a place in basically everyone’s lifestyle.

After a month exclusively on Soylent, I had my first meal today. It was a nice steak, with French Onion soup; tomato, basil, and mozzarella salad. And I was underwhelmed. It was typically a meal that I would enjoy immensely, but I found myself focusing on all the things I didn’t have to deal with on Soylent. Such as, food stuck in teeth, tiredness/lethargy after the meal, and the strange feeling too full but not full enough. Those last two are odd in that my stomach feels heavy, but I still don’t feel like I’ve gotten everything I need.

I could see eating a light meal as enjoyable occasionally, but I can definitely see the term “recreational food” being used in my future. After this weekend, I’ll be back on Soylent for around 90% of my meals or more.

I do say that I’m bored with Soylent, but not in a bad way. I’m bored with sleep as well, but given that my body needs it…l find being able to accomplish eating in the most efficient way is rewarding.

Great analogy… I’m also terribly bored with sleep and would love to not need it. But since I do, I try to make it the best (though shortest) that I can! =)

I understand the concern of boredom only in the abstract now. It made sense pre-Soylent, but now it’s essentially the wrong language. Suffice to say, on Soylent, you don’t relate to food the way you did before. The pleasure of eating is no longer about various tastes and guy expansion, bit rather a feeling of recharging and satiation.

I’m not sure how else to describe it, but I’d be very surprised if anyone who stuck it out through the 3-5 day hump ever got tired of the taste.

I’m on day 7, and I’m not bored with the flavor or the routine. I’m taking advantage of the time saved by getting a bit more exercise during lunch time and getting to work earlier. I still eat conventional food at night (generally healthy food), and I look forward to eating it like a treat. I haven’t went an entire day yet without conventional food. I think at some point I would like to try that but I wanted to ease into it.

BTW I don’t consider the flavor neutral since vanilla to me isn’t neutral, however it’s like any drink that tastes good to you, you probably won’t get tired of it. I used to drink a coke zero or decaf Diet Pepsi almost every day, and never really got tired of them. I even don’t mind the grittiness of the drink.

Lot’s of great replies. I’m finally starting my 100% Soylent journey this Sunday and today I quit cold turkey on the caffeine, I’m sitting feeling very rough indeed but I know I’ll be fine tomorrow with a one day gap before starting Soylent.

Posts like these in here are actually making me look forward to it even more, I can’t wait, I love food but the health issues associated with it mean I’m over it, I just want to be healthy and lose weight now.

I also want to lose weight but I can see where if you mix Soylent and conventional food daily it might be more of a challenge. I don’t have any weight loss data to share yet, it’s too early and I haven’t officially been trying to lose weight yet. I would caution to consume your Soylent in small quantities as others have said. I think if you drink too much at once, it will cause a sugar spike crash cycle and you will be very hungry. But if you just top off as you need it taking in 4-6 oz then you can maintain a good blood sugar level. This is key I think if you want to avoid binge eating.