To pray, or not to pray?

So you’re one of those people that says grace before each and every meal, GOOD ON YOU! You even bow your head and say a silent prayer when you go out to eat with friends. That’s great!

But what about when you grab a quick bottle of Soylent as your “lunch” in the office? It’s your lunch, right? It’s your meal, right? Have you been saying grace before taking that first sip? Will you now, after putting some thought into it? Have you already put thought into it before reading this?

If you haven’t been saying grace before Soylent, why not? Where do you draw the line between “should” and “should not” say grace?

I can’t say I’m one of those people that says grace before meals, but I recently thought about this and now I’m dying to know what everyone thinks about it.

As a fervent atheist, I don’t say grace very often. However, I do meditate from time to time, which may be basically the same thing. When I am consuming Soylent, I am often standing in the kitchen or watching TV, neither of which times I find compatible with meditation or saying grace. So I would just as soon set aside special times for meditation and grace-saying and not connect them to meal consumption.

Also, saying grace seems to be a semi public activity, and I wouldn’t want to inflict my style of meditation on other people – it’s for me alone. So I would want to reserve it to private time.

I think it is good to take time out now and then to reflect on the good things we constantly have and thus take for granted. And there are many (many, many) of these things, like being able to communicate with lots of people all over the place just by typing on a keyboard. (Another big one, if you think about, is the toilet.)

So yeah, stop and reflect now and then on how good it is that we don’t have to deal with so many hassles that people previously had to deal with. But IMO, that is also the time to be thankful for Soylent.

OTOH, the time when you’re actually using Soylent is when you’re doing something else interesting and you don’t want to have to stop and do other things, such as make food and clean up afterwords…or such as having to reflect on how good it is you were able to continue to do what you were doing instead of having to stop and make food and clean up afterwards.

IOW, stopping to be thankful for Soylent while you’re using Soylent defeats the purpose of using Soylent.

Here in Japan we say “itadakimasu” before we start to eat. It means something like being thankful for receiving this food. It can be said towards your host as a way of expressing your appreciation for his/her invitation, or it can be said towards your food as a way to say “thanks for giving me your life.” When I drink Soylent, I don’t say anything because I bought it myself and it appears to be a mixture of chemicals and minerals somewhat removed from the original soy beans and red beets. Maybe I should say a loud “itadakimasu” to honor the scientists who engineered the GMO soy beans, as well as to thank the soy beans and red beets too!

If you want to know what everyone thinks, I guess I’ll tell you that instead of praying to a non-existent deity, I’d rather be thankful to Rosa Foods or people like Rob Rhinehart and those who funded the development of Soylent to make it happen. I believe about 70 percent of the people in the US don’t say grace because they don’t believe in god. And I don’t think many people believe Rob Rhinehart is god.

Even the Soylent company doesn’t think Rob is god. I read a recent account in which the company simply listed him as one of four or five founders. I suspect that the company is on the outs with Rob.

But this is off the prayer topic.