To the founders: Please make it vegan!

Will definitely be a happy customer if so.

I actually emailed them myself, asking if it was going to be vegan. They couldn’t promise, but that’s the plan. I hope they do, because there a lot of advantages.

Last I heard the current formula was Vegan, did they announce a change since V 0.8 in regards to that?

AFAIK the only thing not vegan in there is the fish oil currently. I’ve suggested they use omega 3 sourced from algae for that ( http://opti3omega.com/ ) but haven’t had a response.

I personally think a really awesome side-effect of providing this is that Rob will inadvertently make huge amounts of people vegan, or near-vegan. I don’t try to convince people to eat vegan, but sneaking it in there by joining it with huge benefits to the consumer like this is pretty slick :stuck_out_tongue:

But won’t vegan make Soylent way too expensive?

No, not really. Personally I’m using Soy Protein, which is actually cheaper than Whey Protein. Rob is using Pea, Hemp and Rice Protein I think? That may be a little more expensive, but I believe he’s doing it for a reduced phytic acid load, not for being vegan.

Then nearly all the micro-nutrients are automatically vegan when you buy them as powder. If you buy capsules you have to check if it’s a gelatin capsule or not, but Rob doesn’t do capsules.

The only thing that may be slightly more expensive is the algae oil instead of fish oil – but that’s perhaps 10 cents per day more.

Don’t forget that there must be large source available for Soylent to use it in general recipes.

i hope they don’t sacrifice anything to make it vegan, since i don’t care about that. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’d be fine if you have a vegan option for people that want it, or if it’s just coincidentally that way, but don’t go out of the way to sneak it in or force it on people.

Haha don’t worry guys :slight_smile: I have a feeling Rob is trying to make a nutritionally complete Soylent in the first place, and if it’s vegan then that’s only a bonus! (I also believe he’s going for gluten-free and lactose-free as well, maybe peanut-free too.)

How do you tell if someone is vegan?

Don’t worry, they’ll tell you…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All the health benefits of veganism come from things like cutting cholesterol, eliminating trans fats and avoiding all the other junk in the typical Western diet. Veganism is a relatively convenient proxy, but Soylent (even non-vegan Soylent) goes beyond veganism by including only what you need in the first place.

Once a particular nutrient is reduced to its pure form for inclusion in Soylent, where it came from makes no health difference. The only reasons to insist on vegan Soylent would be moral reasons. If that’s your morality, that’s fine for you, but please don’t make me pay more to satisfy your conscience.

If Rob makes it vegan, and somone else makes it non-vegan and cheaper, then people will just buy the alternative. No one will be forced to be vegan.

@MetaSynapse I know you’re joking, but there’s a core of truth. I try to avoid telling people I’m vegan, since it’s generally not well received. I broke that habit in this thread, since it’s on topic. I’m going to break it further now by actually talking more.

I find that the average vegan has zir thinking all screwed up. I once met someone that said ze wouldn’t eat lab-grown meat, even if you only needed 1 stem cell from an animal to start with, to build an industry around. That’s just silly – if using 1 stem cell prevents the farming of at least one animal, then that’s something a moral vegan should want to support. Silly people don’t know how to consequentialism.

Same for evangelical vegans. They’re probably only hurting their cause.

@reddleman Agreed on the health benefits. As far as cost goes, I think you might find that ingredients sourced from plants are generally cheaper than those sourced from meat. Soy protein is cheaper than Whey protein. Tofu is cheaper than most meat kinds (except maybe chicken breasts on sale), because it takes 7 times as much soy to get 1 unit of meat. As I said, it’s probably only on the fish oil that you’ll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper alternative – and if he eventually doesn’t include algae oil, I’ll still be happy, because it’s most definitely a net benefit :smile:

@kazagistar True, barring considerations such as first mover advantage, brand name familiarity, etc.

Out of curiosity: If Rob offered two different versions, one that was vegan and one that was not. Both were the same price, and Rob would have specifically stated that they contained the same nutritional profile. Would you choose for the vegan option?

Honestly? Yes. Unless making vegan version has much larger environmental impact than other. (Would be ironic!)

If the most cost-effective option happens to be vegan, I think that’d be great, because everyone would be happy. If there is a trade-off between veganism and cost, I would rather have a lower-cost non-vegan Soylent.

If there were two options with the same price and nutrition, one vegan and one not, I really would not care which one I got. I don’t avoid buying kosher meat just because I’m not Jewish, so I wouldn’t avoid buying vegan Soylent just because I’m not vegan.

How? There are no plant sources of B12. At some point, unless it is made purely chemically, it will have come from an animal.

B12 in the form of supplements and for fortifying foods is made from bacteria and fermentation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12#Synthesis_and_industrial_production

Since bacteria have no brain or intelligence and thus no suffering, they are equivalent to plants in regards to using and eating them. If someone tells you otherwise, they probably don’t have a consistent idea of what they’re trying to achieve.

If you only eat things that don’t feel pain then you can eat eggs and dairy, too. Making you lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

Also it’s completely possible to kill something without it feeling pain.

But yeah I have nothing againts using B12 produced by bacteria.