Too much Sugar? Calculator?

Is there a reason the DIY calculators/recipes don’t list sugar? Oversight? Are people not concerned about sugar content? Am I just weird?

I noticed the official Soylent doesn’t have much (2g, uses sweeteners), 100% food has a ton (45g, 25g in low-sugar version), though what about the popular DIY mixes (People Chow, SuperFood, Schmoylent, etc)?

I’ve searched the forums and can’t seem to find very many threads on sugar besides debating artificial sweeteners. Is that much sugar okay? Are there threads on the subject I’m missing?

@axcho, @QuidNYC, @kennufs

Thanks!

I think it’s just an oversight. I think it would be a nice addition to the DIY Soylent site to include sugar in the nutrient list. (care to comment, @nickp?)

Popular DIY mixes do not use sugar, instead opting for sweeteners like stevia or sucralose. I’m not a big fan of sugar, myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

While the official Soylent doesn’t use “sugar”, it uses maltodextrin, which is an easily broken down long chain sugar, that is digested nearly as fast as simple sugar. But yeah, while I don’t personally like the amount of sugar in Official Soylent, and add a little less, and some more oat flour to my DIY, the amount isn’t that bad when you consider the fact that a glass of orange juice can contain 24g of sugar, and everything else you usually eat during the day will have some in it too. The RDI for sugar ranges from 90 grams in australia to 130 grams in america http://www.mydailyintake.net/daily-intake-levels/, So these should be OK.

I’ve had the same thought before and agree that it’s an oversight, and would like to see it added into the nutrient break down on the site as well.

You’ll likely know though if you have a significant amount of sugar in your recipe as you are responsible for the individual ingredients. Some recipes are pretty obvious, Hacker School for instance, but others maybe not so much.

Is the DIY Caclulator still being updated at all? It would be nice if the Sugar subcolumn under carbs would be added.

@nickp would be the one to ask, it’s his site. I haven’t seen him around lately, but he seems to be responsive when folks report bugs, though I don’t expect he is actively working to update the site.

“Sugar” might be a tad simplistic as others have noted.
What might be a lot more useful (although a lot more difficult to get data on) would be
the quantity of high glycemic sugars/carbs (not sure what definition to use for “high”)… vs quantity of moderate or low glycemic sugars/carbs.

Things like maltodextrin, isomaltulose and trehalose muddy the water a bit…

I agree that there are many things that could be said about the column “sugar.” But really this is just a simplistic request to match what the labels on all our foods already have. It makes it easier to take the data and put it in other trackers.