Toronto/Canada Formula

I want to start of by noting and thanking Godraine’s post here, aswell as the Beginners DIY soylent recipe and ClearNoise1969’s post on that same page. I used/borrowed alot of the details which they used to compile this formula.

Anyways here’s the spreadsheet for people to compare and discuss.

The only items I did not consider the cost of were the oil, and the salt as both are fairly common items that can vary a decent amount in price and can be obtained from any grocery store. On that note however I have a couple of questions myself, mostly pertaining to the oil. Does it really make a difference whether we use olive oil vs any other vegetable oil?
The main difference seems to be that vegetable oil’s seem to be considered processed foods and hence less “pure” but other than that are there any significant differences?

Anyways I would appreciate all input specially if there is any notable flaw in the formula I have yet to purchase the items but will likely do so in the coming week after a bit of feedback.

I should mention that a decent amount of the items such as the Maltodextrin, Oat flour and Psyllium husk can all be purchased in Toronto. The Maltodextrin that I listed can be purchased at Popeye’s Supplements and Oat flour and Psyllium husk can both be purchased at bulk barn. The Maltodextrin is currently selling at 39.99 per 10 lb but with the second 10 lb costing 29.99, a lot of the prices I listed account for more than the initial investment that would be required to start making the soylent, so for example I opted to list the purchase of 2 containers of Maltodextrin because one only lasts for about 22 days; all of the calculations were made so that one could make the soylent for at the very least one month.

Note: This formula also contains other non-essential nutrients which I opted not to include, these are mostly obtained from my multi-vitamin. I also used a variety of sources to obtained my recommended values, ranging from the WHO, and Health Canada’s pages on Food and Nutrition.

Also I tailored this formula mostly for an 18 year old male such as myself.

Most of the stuff I’ve seen about the different oils has been concerned with nutrition and flavor more than ‘processed’. I have the impression that vegetable oil doesn’t have much to it BUT fat, where some of the other stuff like olive or walnut oils has nutrients in it, thereby covering some of the stuff that needs to be added otherwise. Personally, I don’t like the flavor of olive oil, even good expensive stuff.

Remember seeing things like people having replaced olive with grapeseed or flaxseed, in whole or part and having to adjust their recipes… In one early adopter’s thread someone mentions replacing the oil with almonds… not oil, the nuts. And just snarf them all day. One post in particular in that thread says that grapeseed oil has pretty much the same nutrients as olive, and tastes a lot better.

Copying my response from a similar thread.

I feel like I harp on this a lot in these forums, but be very careful with magnesium. The RDA listed on the spreadsheets (400mg) is used when consuming magnesium from traditional food sources. There is an UL of 350mg when getting it from supplements. The difference is due to the raw mineral being much more bioavailable, and so magnesium toxicity is not associated with consuming it from food, but can be from supplements. Some people on this forum have even had averse effects at 350mg. Magnesium toxicity can be nasty, and 600mg is definitely WAY too high.

Cut your calcium-magnesium supplement in half. It will bring you to a safer level of magnesium, and you’ll be alright with less calcium, unless you wanted to find an additional supplement for that, like calcium citrate.

I’m erring on the low side with magnesium. I get a small amount from the multivitamin, but othertwise the rest is coming from ‘food’. Don’t use Cal-Mag supplements.

Not all oils are alike. Look up “omega 3” or “omega 6” on wikipedia for far more information than you will ever want to know, but it will give you a good overview of why it’s a thing people think about. (in brief, our bodies do better with a particular balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids, and our modern diet is seriously out of balance in a direction that promotes inflammatory disease, the conjectured primary underlying cause of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and a number of end-of-life cognitive degenerative diseases.)

Olive oil promotes the balance better than ordinary oils. However, it is frequently counterfeited. Canola oil is alleged to have similar benefits, but only if it is processed in a particular way; most canola oil is actually about as healthy as motor oil due to overprocessing.

I edited the excel, I reduced the amount of tabs taken from the cal-mag supplement to 1,so that now you are only ingesting 350 mg of magnesium. I also added another supplement available at bulkbarn that that has calcium and vitamin d so that I am not under the recommended value of vitamin d as I was previously.