Trans fat in Soylent

The Soylent nutritional info label says 0 grams per serving. However:

Do Soylent contain any trans fat? Or does it contain absolutely none?

Do Soylent contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? Has the canola oil used is Soylent been heated?

Well none of us really know, do we? But last time I checked, Crisco wasn’t a listed ingredient. There’s no added oil products in the powder, and the separate oil bottle is liquid, so probably not hydrogenated.

A better question is why do you keep starting threads like this? Are you really looking for information on the product or are you just trying to stir people up?

Well do they annoy you? Maybe this site has a block function, so that you can block the topics I create.

And yep, I’m asking questions to find out if this is something I want to consume and to get a debate going.

Well, the ingredients have been made public multiple times, so it should be obvious whether the product contains trans fats. The status of trans fats as a health risk is not related to Soylent at all, so the Soylent forum seems like a weird place to look for answers on that. So I guess I’m just curious what you want to accomplish with this thread.

A debate? Really? Get a grip. Chemical testing by a certified independent food evaluation lab shows a complete lack of trans fat. How could you expect anyone to debate anything, it’s a matter of fact, not a matter of opinion.

Is this true? Who are you referring to when you say [quote=“dunmatt, post:5, topic:12983”]
a certified independent food evaluation lab
[/quote]
?

I don’t actually know which lab they chose, but I do know that such evaluation is a requirement for getting a nutrition label.

As is says in the first post (the orange pic) the FDA tests mark up 0.49 grams of trans fat as 0 grams.

So how many sig-figs would convince you? And why that number instead of any other?

Sig-figs?

And it could be any number under 0.5 grams. This means that Soylent could potentially contain 1.49 grams of trans fat per 2000 calories.

Significant figures. If they listed it down to the picogram would that be enough precision for you?

Wouldn’t that be 1.47?

I sense a condescending tone? Haha. Well the potential 1.5 grams of trans fat per day is no insignificant. Trans fat is without a doubt very unhealthy also in gram amounts.

It could be any number below 0.5 grams. If the test shows 4.999 grams of trans fat (assuming the tests are so precise) then the FDA marks it up as 0 grams.

[Citation needed.] 20 characters.

It’s not for “arcane, bureaucratic, and political reasons” that less than 0.5 grams per serving are listed as “zero grams.” Significant digits mean something. If an allowable limit is set at “0,” it means 0.4 will round down to 0. If an allowable limit is set at “0.0,” then you round down 0.04 to 0.0.

I guess I think this discussion is kind of silly. We know what the ingredients are and I haven’t seen any ingredients that would contain any trans fats, so why is there even a question?

@gustav wants to start a debate, that’s why.

Although to be fair, if the ingredients are judged with the same rounding rules as the final product there could in theory be trans fat in there.

Or just look at Wikipedia.

There is a question about trans fat in the canola oil.