Treating psychiatric problems through the gut?

Incredible article at The Verge about how the digestive system and the brain could be linked. There is still so much more about our bodies that people don’t understand. Needless to say, I’m going to start considering adding pro-biotics to my DIY soylent soon.

the lack of bacteria is one of my big concerns with soylent. Two things working against us (one of which works against us soylent or no). Most of the good bacteria that we’re supposed to have, comes from our actual food. If we’re not using food, we’re not introducing good bacteria. The other thing is that in the United States at least, we are one of the few countries that don’t consume fermented foods as a part of our daily diet. This could be a big reason for so much of the digestive damage (and subsequent illnesses) in the US. A good probiotic would be a good idea.

Probiotics are part of Rob’s Soylent that will be shipping soon.

That’s a big clue that we should all pay attention to. They weren’t in the early revisions and they have been added since consulting with experts. Who know anything about probiotics? Speak up!

Another reason to spend the extra few cents a day to get some live culture buddies going strong down deep.

prebiotics. There are no live cultures. The Human Microbiome has such diversity it would be difficult to provide a universal mix of beneficial bateria. However, pre-biotics help support the beneficial bacteria that exist in one’s personal gut already. Though the species makeup is diverse, the metabolic pathways are conserved.

Fascinating paper: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v486/n7402/full/nature11234.html

More: http://www.ploscollections.org/article/browseIssue.action?issue=info:doi/10.1371/issue.pcol.v01.i13

So can anyone point me to a specific source of probiotics I can buy and add to my mix?

I am taking PB8 via iHerb.

enter link description here

I get probiotics from Trader Joe’s Red and Green drink powders, which also provide antioxidants and some beneficial enzymes. My secondary source is Garden of Life Super Seed Beyond Fiber, which includes probiotics and omega-3s.

yes

ABsolutely right! Probiotics, in larger numbers and greater variety, helps overall health improve–significantly.
It has been known for a long time, that the longest lived, healthiest populations, had ONE single thing in common, no matter where in the world those societies are found: they all consume fermented foods daily.
Fermented foods contain live cultures in numerous varieties, and great numbers.
And those folks live easily to 100+ years, still out being active.
Lately, science has evidence that L-rhamnosus seems to decrease anxiety and depression…that is terrific—but most yogurts do not use that. I found one–Nancy’s–that does.
If you get a probiotic supplement, make sure it’s refrigerated, and, that it contains a large variety.
IF you must use antibiotics, it is a good idea to consume probiotics about 1 hour AFTER taking each antibiotic dose. That helps your innards probiotic population keep up, instead of letting it be wiped out and having to start all over again after the antibiotics are done. This MIGHT help prevent a person getting sicker before they get better.
Probiotics: good stuff!

Probiotics are absolutely good for us–critically necessary to our good health, and to help us fight off infections.
Probiotics help digest food, they make some nutrients we need.
Probiotics can help a sick person heal faster.
They are needed to help our body chemistries work right.
They help keep moods stable–considering how off-kilter so many per population are these days, one could pretty much point to lack of good fats and lack of proper probiotic counts and varieties, as a probably cause.
Currently, science is looking at L. Rhamnosus as helping reduce anxiety and depression, for instance.
But for best effecs, we require large numbers and a wide variety of them, daily.
Studies showed, long ago, that one common behavior the longest-lived societies have had, all along, is that they consume fermented foods daily–large numbers and varieties of probiotics—which allows them to live to 100+ yr;s old, still being sharp as a tack mentally and energetically able to keep doing their daily activities of choice–including herding critters over steep mountains.
Probiotics–lots of live ones–gotta have '[em!!

HOW can active probiotics be maintained alive, packaged in what sounds like bomb-shelter food?
Tetra paks and other commercially sealed foods are dead, aren’t they?

Bacteria can be dormant in a dry environment. Ever cooked with dry yeast?

I make a whole foods version of soylent, blended up, and I bought a liter of yogurt this weekend to add to my shake (substituting a portion of milk for the portion of yogurt), for this very reason.

As a probiotic source, has anyone experimented/considered experimenting with kefir or water kefir either daily or in their mix? I’m considering having (store bought) kefir daily and seeing how that goes, but I’m intending to eventually go dairy-free (although kefir seems to have a reputation of being tolerated by lactose-intolerant individuals), and the idea of making water kefir as a side project is appealing to me.