Triglyceride Management

Hello everyone, let me just start by saying I have no real education in the way of nutrition, nothing beyond that basic pyramid they taught us all about in school anyway. I’m here to ask a question, and in the hopes that someone who knows more than I do will have a definitive answer. Will this help me get my Triglyceride count under control?

“For anyone who struggles with allergies, heartburn, acid reflux or digestion, has trouble controlling weight or cholesterol, or simply doesn’t have the means to eat well, soylent is for you.” I have problems with all of these things, though I’ve never experienced a food allergy, I definitely have many respiratory allergies, so if it helps with those as well, awesome. My acid reflux has not been so bad since I straightened up my diet a few years ago, but it still rears it’s ugly head from time to time. The thing that I’m really focusing on, though, will be weight and cholesterol (though my cholesterol is not nearly as bad as my Triglyceride count). I figure if this can get my cholesterol down, it must be able to bring down my Triglycerides, right?

More to the point, I’d like to be a guinea pig in the name of health and nutrition. I have been trying to get my Triglyceride count down for years using medication and foods rich in Omega-3. I’ve taken fish oil pills and flaxseed oil pills and nothing can really put a dent in it. Ultimately, I feel like my body has just built up so much fatty tissue at this point, that no matter how I alter my diet, the fat stores might be continuing to pump out Triglycerides as I burn it off. I’ve never (so far) been able to sustain a perfectly healthy diet and exercise routine long enough to see any major difference.

Soylent has given me new hope though. I have no problem with “drinking” my meals and I can stick to something that is pre-packaged as long as I know it’s healthy and not packed with a bunch of crap like preservatives and artificial ingredients. If a Soylent diet can provide my body with the nutrients I need, and just those nutrients, then I can wage a war of attrition on the fat stores in my body. Even without an exercise routine, I’m fairly active. I always take the stairs rather than the elevator, I ride my bike frequently and walk to most places within a mile of my home.

Basically what I’d really like to do, is get my blood tested before I go on the Soylent diet, then go on the Soylent diet for a couple of months and get blood drawn as periodically as should be relevant to measuring the results. I’m a veteran, and the VA does a physical for me every year, and I’m due for one soon. On my last blood draw my Triglycerides were over 1300. Yes, you read that right, 1300. Yes, I know I should be dead, everyone freaks out when they hear that. Frankly, I’m sure it’s due in large part to genetics, but ultimately it has to boil down to what my body has for fuel at some point, right?

So, that was all a bit more of a rambling question/statement. Not really sure where to go from here. Hit me up with any questions if anyone thinks they can provide any further information or assistance, and I offer my apologies for my poor writing skills.

I would love to hear how your trial works out. I would suggest that instead of taking omega-III pills it might be better to just eat omega-III foods, like for example substituting fish for beef (especially fish from closer to the poles than the equator) or flax oil for corn oil for any meals involving oils. Of course eating too many oils will keep the wrong oils in your body longer even if you focus on eating the right oils. Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist - I am only repeating what I heard elsewhere.