True Nutrition DIY questions

OK so here’s the back story. Skip this part to get right to the question :smiley: I am not a fitness nut but I’ve been a lot more health/wellness centric than most people. I’ve done a lot of single-user (me) research on how different proteins and mixes impact me from a weight room supplement standpoint but the Soylent thing has me curious. My wife and I are foodies to a pretty good extent and I genuinely love to cook (and to eat) but there are times when it’s inconvenient. Soylent seems like a good option there. A dear friend of mine who happens to be smart as hell but mostly useless in the kitchen sees Soylent as an awesome way to make sure he’s not eating too much, not eating a lot of garbage, not wasting money, and not wasting time. He was a kickstarter backer and has… LOTS of Soylent at home. Something like 6 months worth to my untrained eye.
My concern isn’t unique. One size fits all nutrition is, by definition, inaccurate. Soylent is intended to be supplemented and I think it’s an AWESOME idea so I’m not here to knock it. Here’s what I’m here to ask.

QUESTIONS
I’m not looking for something to replace more than a couple meals per week- Mostly lunches.
1- The DIY mixes are pretty awesome-looking. What would be the benefits to just grabbing something from True Nutrition vs Soylent + supplementing? (I read this thread and saw a handful of questions answered but not a breakdown from my perspective.) The TN stuff would be completely custom vs universal+supps (I like a 50:40:10 P:F:C ratio).

2- I’m on the DIY subforum so maybe this is the wrong place but is there any real benefit other than ease of use to getting Soylent vs making a DIY mix? I tried his stuff and it was pretty good. Palatable, filling enough, nothing negative about it at all but that’s the best I could say for it :smiley:

Thanks y’all! Looking forward to learning about this stuff… It fascinates me.

The biggest benefit of DIY is that it’s usually a lot cheaper. Of course, it’s more work and has higher upfront costs, but if you’re in it for the long-term, it’s a way to save money.

Secondly, if you are really sensitive and have trouble finding a pre-prepared food that fits your needs (like me!) then DIY is a great way to come up with something that actually works for you. My official Soylent finally arrived this weekend and I’ve been using it for the past two days, but unfortunately I’ve been experiencing some effects that prevent it from being a sustainable solution for me. So I’ll keep using my own DIY.

As far as the benefit of Soylent, the main one is convenience (you don’t have to make it yourself) and trust in the brand. I’m pretty confident in my own ability to take care of myself and do a good job though, so I don’t have any problem living off my own DIY. :wink:

Welcome!

I can provide something for Q2. I used to do DIY soylent and there were two factors for me deciding to go with the Soylent formula instead of DIY soylent.

• Convenience [Haz family, not a lot of free time]
  • Was always questioning measurements

Every now and then I’d have an off day on my own soylent mix and wonder if I screwed up measuring an ingredient. Periodically you’ll see posts around here along those lines. There was just one about a person who thought they may have gotten food poisoning from a restaurant but it could have been too much potassium in the mix as well.

In your intro you say Soylent is intended to be supplemented. I see you’re talking about fitness training so I hope you are saying this due to your caloric requirements being higher than the Soylent formula provides. If you want a “normal” caloric load Soylent is not intended to be supplemented. You can if you wish but pay attention to your micro nutrients if you do.

Keep in mind if you go with Soylent (big S means commercial product) you will be in for a bit of a wait if you order now. You may want to spin a DIY, or buy one/sample one off the powdered foods marketplace, and compare with your friend’s Soylent before making a decision. One advantage of DIY is you can tailor the mix to your caloric requirements so the micros all line up at the end of the day.

Thanks!
I know convenience is one of the biggest selling points and I see it but I’m a DIYer at heart. I know I can buy a pretty good pizza or even an awesome one. But I also know I can MAKE an awesome one for a lot less cash and a bit more work. I’m curious if there are any major nutrition deficits that a DIY blend would struggle to overcome that a pre-mix like Soylent or TN would hurdle more easily because of their economy of scale.

Can I ask what the effects that are detracting for you are? My buddy seems to be pretty happy with his.

Absolutely. From my reading, the Soylent mix hits all the FDA’s RDAs perfectly which is awesome. I’m not a firm believer that the FDA has a firm grasp of nutrition and am even more skeptical that every human on the planet (or even most of us) have the same needs. I’m sure we have similar minimum requirements but optimum health and wellness don’t come from hitting the minimums. I’ve looked at Soylent as a really excellent platform. With nothing else, you’ll be ok. If you want to be awesome, you’ll need to tweak it. And yes- my version of awesome includes monster deadlifts so my needs don’t match up with my pregnant, soccer-playing wife or my 4k miles per year bike freak neighbor :smiley:

I’m going to have to do a LOT of reading on this forum about the recipes y’all have come up with to see what works for me as a substitute…
Thank you!

Nope. The only difficulty that DIY encounters is that certain things are more expensive in smaller quantities, but it’s not like they’re entirely unavailable. And the cost actually balances out in favor of DIY in the end.

I mentioned some of them here, but I can summarize. Here are the problems that prevent me from using Soylent 1.0 as a long-term solution:

• mysterious additive (sucralose?) makes me feel lightheaded after eating
  • high-carb recipe leaves me feeling less satiated, with hungry-mouth feel
  • chalkiness from rice protein makes me clear my throat after every sip
  • and yes, gas (even though I’m fine on my own oat-based DIY recipes, hmmm…)

If you’re looking to dive into DIY, feel free too browse through my recipes:
http://diy.soylent.me/users/axcho

I have measuring guides and instructions with each of them. :slight_smile:

Friggin fantastic :smiley: Plenty to read now!

@Yamichi, I started back up on coming up with my own DIY formula. I was actually inspired after trying @axcho’s Schmoylent which is really tasty, btw.

It doesn’t look like True Nutrition has the vitamin/mineral additives anymore. I don’t know why they removed them from the site.

If you want to get started by trying to match Soylent’s nutrient profile (PFC excepted), you can use the Soylent Nutrient Profile I created on the DIY site: http://diy.soylent.me/nutrient-profiles/53cdfd68e3d8fd02004b7fbc

The only values that are missing are the ones that have a 999 in the max values column. I’m still working on getting those values from Rosa Labs.

I detailed how I got my numbers in the notes. If you decide to double check my math and numbers, please leave a comment on the nutrient profile page. Either comment saying that you double checked everything or let me know if there’s anything that needs to be fixed.

I also double checked my numbers against who created Soylent as an Ingredient Profile. There’s some unresolved discrepancies between his numbers and mine. You can find the details of that at the bottom of this post: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/official-soylent-as-a-component-for-diy-completing-the-ingredient-profile/14378

Jeremy