Two different symbols with Soylent 2.0? 7 and 2?

Hey guys, I just got my soylent 2.0 in (tastes pretty awesome, by the way). I’m a little confused by the recycling symbols on it, 7 and 2? Maybe my google-fu isn’t up to speed, but what does it mean when a bottle has two different symbols?

Namely, I guess, I’m trying to figure out what I’m supposed to do with it once finished. Trash or recycle (hopefully the latter)

Thanks!

I would have to assume it designates between the different types of plastics used in the bottle. So the bottle itself may be a 2 where the more dense cap could be a 7? And the designation is marked just on the bottle? Or maybe one is for the plastic wrap around the bottle and other for bottle itself? Are there recycle marks on the plastic bit around the bottle too?

That link says they’re both recyclable. Though it also says there are concerns over toxicity of recycle 7 items?

Huh, I always thought 7 was a big no no for recycling.

This is all I’ve got on the bottom of the bottle though, I don’t see any other indications anywhere

Also, unfortunately, my county does not accept 7 for recycling.

Let’s see if @Conor can shed some light on this

My guess is 7 means it’s not 100% hdpe, but it’s still hdpe recyclable.

Could be the cap, label, shrink-wrap, a thin coating on the inside (like nylon), or a number of things. Knowing Soylent, it’s harmless and perfectly recyclable.

That’s what I figured as well, just would like to know the specifics so I’m not disposing of it incorrectly.

It would be nice to get the official story on this. Here’s some information I found about a similarly-labeled bottle:

1. Naked Juice 15.2 oz containers are made almost entirely of HDPE (#2) plastics.
  2. The only other plastic we use is a thin layer of nylon which keeps oxygen out of our juice, and thus keeps them fresher.
  3. Because we use two different plastics, our bottles are technically #7 plastic. (#7 just means mixed plastics.)
  4. However, since the nylon doesn’t interfere with the recycling of the plastic, you can recycle the bottles as though they were 100% #2 plastic. We put the #2 or the words “HDPE Compatible” on the bottle to highlight this fact to our consumers.

Hopefully it’s something similar in this case.

One thing to keep in mind here. Unless regulations have changed a lot since the days I was the business, none of these “recyclable” food containers are truly recycled – so the plastic used for the Soylent bottle will never be turned into another Soylent bottle. Rather, it will be “downcycled,” meaning ground up and melted and used for some other plastic application that explicitly does not involve human consumption.

7 is “other”, which could mean anything. and yes it’s hard to recycle.

However, 2 is very commonly recycled and 2 compatible means you can put it in with all the other 2’s.

So basically ignore the 7 and treat it as 2.

It seems to me that recycling info should be something Soylent lists as part of the official release of 2.0. We shouldn’t have to work it out amongst us because presumably they’ve already worked it out.

100% agree with this, just didn’t know if the community knew something I didn’t. Guess we’ll get an answer on Monday (hopefully)

Good point @yngh, but I know they mentioned it somewhere that the bottles are recyclable. Perhaps they could be extra clear and add #4 to the list below, I’ll do it myself…

How to enjoy Soylent 2.0

1. Chill
  2. Open
  3. Enjoy (yes, it’s that easy)
  4. Recycle bottle

I just spoke with my county’s recycling center today. Unfortunately, they said they are not equipped to process these bottles. I reeeeeally don’t want to just trash these if at all possible, hopefully someone has some suggestions regarding what I can do?

Tagging @Conor just in case he has any input or way of finding out.

What country???

County* haha, Burlington, New Jersey

Doh, woops I misread that! Thanks.

The country of JesterXIIIia, of course! :wink:

Can you explain more? Do they not recycle “2” plastics?