Type 1 Diabetic Experiencing Euglycemic DKA Symptoms?

Hi all,

I have not consistently experienced this with Soylent over the years that I’ve taken it, but I’ve been noticing something with 2.0 and am wondering if there’s an explanation (because it’s kind of worrying me).

I am a Type 1 Diabetic male, 25 y/o. Soylent 2.0 generally does not cause my blood sugar to rapidly increase, which is great. However, it does cause a mild increase in ketones, and produces symptoms that parallel those of euglycemic DKA (euDKA), meaning diabetic ketoacidosis without hyperglycemia/high blood sugar. I get/experience…

• Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Nausea/GI problems
  • Paleness
  • Fruity breath
  • Shaking

I don’t really know why this happens, and I’ve tried a variety of different approaches (staying hydrated, pacing consumption, pairing with a small snack, etc.) but nothing seems to work and it’s super frustrating. I’ve confirmed the increase in ketones whenever I drink it (ie it’s not just a feeling). Does anyone have possible explanations for this and/or fixes? Makes me feel awful.

I have zero experience with your situation.
But here is a guide that should help.

The Soylent Reddit community is a lot more active than the one here. Give it a try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soylent

1 Like