Über soylent - wearable computing device with blood analyser and feeding tube

I was contemplating what the next phase after Soylent might be, say 10 or 15 years from now. I envision an implanted device that communicates wirelessly with a body worn computing device. The surgically installed device analyses blood sugar levels along with concentrations of all detectable minerals etc, and this “telemetry” is used to dispense and apportion nutrients on a regular schedule to ensure optimum energy and vitality for the user. This “mix” is dispensed at an appropriate temperature to be easily ingested on demand. (Think digital camelback dispensing soylent customised to you needs)
When a critical dehydration or energy level is detected, a gentle alarm would remind the user to take a few sips.

For the ultimate in cyborg nutrition, a different approach could be taken- bypass the oral ingestion process and pump nutrients directly to the stomach via a surgically implanted tube. Bonus feature: no artificial taste enhancers required.

Who here would go for an option like this?

Well, yes I probably would be interested, but I think the first cybernetic implants I get are going to be memory enhancers. Those will be a real boon. :slight_smile: It’s coming man, we live in an amazing time!

You mean those Cables were just feeding tubes?

Or the White all artificially made warriors need in DS9 star trek show? :wink:

Looks like Cupertino is looking into some interesting future expansion options

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+hires&rlz=1RMGOYI_enNZ573NZ573&oq=apple+hires&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB&espv=1

This is going to be perfect when I’m 102 years old, hooked into the Matrix, and thinking I’m 25 again. I’ll need something to keep my energy up.

Nanobots in blood would be pretty cool. Programmable and with ability to access all parts of the body through the circulatory system.

I think a main advance will be “on the go” analyzers. I mean in the medical world there are now chip sensors, which can identify hundreds of substances from a single drop of blood. Imagine this tech becoming dirt cheap and you have live monitoring. Soylent could provide the correct food to it, adjusted on a daily basis.

horrifying?!

haha I was going to write a post on this.

here’s my take.

iv been working on a computer controlled soylent bottle, mainly to solve the fermentation issue. the bottle will monitor and regulate temperature, and amount of soylent left in the bottle. this would then talk to your smart phone relaying messages/alerts if soylent had spoiled, ect. also could instruct you when to consume your next portion, trying to keep blood glucose at a constant.

for now I’m looking for a non-intrusive way to monitor blood glucose levels and heart rate.

in the future I think something like this would be adequate http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/introducing-our-smart-contact-lens.html?m=1

my theory is that a consistent intake of nutrients ala soylent, would be much more staple than the conventional 3 meals aday. this is how I consume my soylent, I don’t get highs and lows. blood glucose stays fairly consistent through out the day.

I’ll be looking into this theory more. as a in countries seen to have it figured out, 6 meals. snack time.

Granted this is all pretty far-fetched (at least for widespread use) but I do like the concept–particularly as a way of perfecting the “soylent as filler” model. As in: eat normal food if/when you want certain flavors, want to eat socially, want to cook as a hobby, etc… When you do, the analyzer sees what nutrients you’re getting and automatically supplies those you’re not. If you’re getting fewer calories than you need, it pumps some macros, otherwise only micros.

As long as you don’t go over on any particular nutrient (macro or micro), the system could keep you at balanced nutrition no matter what your eating pattern. Give it some memory and it can try to smooth out spikes if you do get too much of something. And if it were to pump directly to the stomach (or at least past the mouth), it wouldn’t matter if the thing you’re missing tastes nasty.

Such an approach does come with the disadvantage of requiring the user to physically carry a supply of soylent on their body at all times. The current method of consuming Soylent in a stand-alone water bottle does not require physically carrying around additional weight/mass constantly.

Sure, lugging 3kg or so of nutrients around would be a tad cumbersome - unless you needed to do so anyway - think expedition trekkers, astronauts, Marines, fighter pilots or long haul truck drivers. However I suspect that particular iteration of the design would be an extreme option for those who really need it.

Just the data collection side of things would be the entry level product - not that far away given this product: http://singularityhub.com/2013/04/16/coming-soon-to-a-body-near-you-worlds-smallest-chip-to-be-swallowable/

Swalloable, or implantable.
This could be as simple as talking to a smartphone telling you that today you need 3 sachets of Soylent red, and one of Soylent green (ducks awaiting hurled abuse)

The next step would be an external preparation device that just makes it for you in the same way a coffee machine might make you a specialty coffee. These machines might be communal (at a mall or office cafeteria), or in your kitchen.

Finally for the intense nutritional requirements of the “on the go” user, there would be the exoskeleton / backpack versions, that interface via a tube that you use like a straw.

This has been my take on it:

Since before Soylent, I’ve envisioned a system that could ambiently, or with extremely minimal effort, assess an individual’s current needs (e.g., http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1433904.stm5 , http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/doctor_20toilet8). Soylent gave me hope than not only would we be able to ambiently assess, but we could use that assessment to create up-to-the-minute custom prescriptions. I think something like your Soylent GA in combination with http://discourse.soylent.me/t/soylent-vending-machine/4979 and some type of data recording device (e.g., to keep track of things like recently prescribed soylent meals, recent assessments, preferences) would provide the dynamic formulations.

In other words, I could wake up and take a leak. My in-house diagnostic toilet would send my phone my pre-breakfast assessment while I make my way to the kitchen. Once in the kitchen my in-house soylent machine would ask if I want a latte, berry, or other flavored soylent, and based on my option and pre-breakfast assessment it would prepare my up-to-the-minute customized soylent formula and send that formula to my phone. This would repeat over the course of the day, with each subsequent meal taking into account not just recent assessments, but also all the previous meals of the day.

Over the course of days, months, and years, my personal formula would evolve to match not just my obvious needs (e.g., sodium within DRI) but also my personalized needs (e.g., my assessments consistently show that I maintain higher than average sodium levels, so my personal formulas move into the lower quartile of the DRI).

In theory, other assessment sources (e.g. dna, blood pressure cuffs, blood draws) or prescription sources could be factored into the dynamic soylent formula. For example, after a traumatic accident a surgeon could prescribe a lower caloric level along with pain killer. (Albeit the latter would make it more difficult to use public Soylent machines. Even then something like a powdered version of the prescription could be blister-packed and used in soylent machines.)

http://discourse.soylent.me/t/genetic-algorithms-automatic-diy-soylent/5212/9 - there was some follow-up discussion in that thread

put some industrial quick disconnect fittings on my nalgene lid, with a bite valve.

ala feeding tube…

heading out for a trek in the woods, see how this functions strapped on my back.