Ubiquitous Soylent - How's that working out? (Nov 2014)

The title is essentially the conversation I’m hoping to have here. One of the initial pitches of the entire idea behind Soylent wasn’t merely to have a nutritionally balanced product, but to drop the price to the point that it could be considered the “default” food made both sustainable and accessible.

The price point suggests that it’s still a ways off from meeting that goal. This isn’t the food of the (healthy) poor yet, even where it is readily available. Does anyone on the @Soylent team have any updates or insight on future plans and predictions regarding this? This is all said well aware of the fact that even establishing basic global distribution is still a situation.

I know this is directed at the Soylent team, and you indicate that you’re aware of some of the challenges here, but just for posterity it should be pointed out that the challenge of bringing down the cost won’t be able to feasibly be addressed until the supply needs are fulfilled and the remaining kinks in the product are worked out (since dealing with these issues requires capital beyond just meeting production costs and payroll).

That said, I’m skeptical now that some time has passed about how low RL will be able to get the price. I have no doubt that they’ll manage to improve it in the not-so-distant future, but it seems that getting the production cost from what it is now down to a level where it’s cheap enough to meet their stated - or at least implied - goals will require the kind of scale and/or vertical integration that very few successful startups can reach.

High hopes, though :slight_smile:

The nature of the production chain is that costs reduce dramatically over time as production becomes more efficient. Soylent is still quite literally in its infancy… give it some time.

Also, it’s open source… so if Rob’s team can’t make it cheap enough, someone else will figure out how to.