Update on LiquiGlide (non-stick nanotech)

LiquiGlide was revealed many years ago in a short 20 second video.

MIT themselves just uploaded a video providing an update on LiquiGlide. Looks like it’s finally reaching consumer products! Some of my favorite excerpts from the full article:

Today, Norwegian consumer-goods producer Orkla has signed a licensing agreement to use the LiquiGlide’s coating for mayonnaise products sold in Germany, Scandinavia, and several other European nations.

“Our coatings can work with a whole range of products, because we can tailor each coating to meet the specific requirements of each application,” Varanasi says.

Keeping bottles clean, Varanasi adds, could also drastically cut the use of water and energy, as well as the costs associated with rinsing bottles before recycling. “It has huge potential in terms of critical sustainability,” he says.

Varanasi says LiquiGlide aims next to tackle buildup in oil and gas pipelines, which can cause corrosion and clogs that reduce flow. Future uses, he adds, could include coatings for medical devices such as catheters, deicing roofs and airplane wings, and improving manufacturing and process efficiency. “Interfaces are ubiquitous,” he says. “We want to be everywhere.”

The future is here… the future is DRY!

I need this inside my blender bottle.

Toilets…

I’ve been listing off all the things I’d like to put this on since I heard of it, and yet not once had I considered toilets!

Makes me wonder why some Sci-Fi films have dirty hardware and others have clean hardware.

Some people in the future will probably pass up this wonderful stuff so they can maintain their rebel steampunky look.

What I find interesting is that even when everything in the movie is clean, functional and polished to damn near perfection… it’s still somehow a dystopia. Equilibrium for example.

I want to cover my belly with it and slide like a penguin!

I’d put it on my neighbour’s car tires.

You can’t add it to anything; it has to be manufactured with it in the first place.

Do you know why W.S. Gilbert was frequently drunk on his trans-atlantic crossings?

But if it got to be the least main stream, it would be a major factor when deciding which product to purchase. I bet landlords would love not to have to worry about their toilets.

And blender bottles and my motorized blender container would be really more useful if the liquid slipped out. Soylent really likes to stick to the sides of these things.

I’ll wait to see if it causes cancer.

This is why I think the first major uses will be in non-food areas. The toilet example is a perfect one (thanks @nutrisludge) because there you can have long term trials with a variety of conditions that roughly mimic food but which don’t generate anxiety.

I also think that even when it goes to food uses, ketchup bottles won’t be the first choice because of the margins around food and single use containers.

What you need to test is whether any of the chemical is actually ingested (as in travels with the food as opposed to staying on the treated surface). Hence the toilet example. I would hope (without much hope) that scientists will do their “cancer causing” tests on realistic ingestion levels with some redundancy.

This has gone to food uses already, for mayonnaise bottles. But I agree, food containers seems like a frivolous first use for this when there are much more demanding industrial applications like pipes, gears and wiring. I assume the company is just trying to get exposure anywhere possible. Kinda sucks that we’re the test subjects instead of industry.

The toilet example is a perfect one

conditions that roughly mimic food

I mean… I guess that would describe the conditions of a toilet…

According to them, http://liquiglide.com/faqs/ :

Heh, if nobody’s selling straight up liquiglide-coated drinking vessels, it looks like I’m going to be importing some Norwegian mayonaise some time soon.

do not involve nanotechnology.

My title:

(non-stick nanotech)

… I bring dishonor.

LiquiGlide condoms. They should be all over that angle.

Catheters, too. Oh, and skis / snowboards. haha

Corporations always say crap like that, but then 50 years later we find out that Asbestos causes cancer.

Yeah I probably wont be using this stuff before taking a look at the literature, but this is not Mad Men, Liquiglide came out of MIT. They probably wouldn’t have the gall to push a product along under bad research, and they’d probably lose a lot of friends if they tried to.