Upping Omega-6 Values

Hi all. Just attempted my first recipe based on my provided nutritional profile from the calculator. However the one place I am lacking in is my Omega values. my Omega 3 is through the roof at 273% (4.36g) and my Omega-6 seems to be lacking at 42% (7.22g) - I’m not really following the Omega balance debates going on, by the time I’ve read a couple of paragraphs I can’t tell which you’re supposed to take more of than the other - if any! I’d really appreciate any tips on the recipe in general, but specifically around the Omega values. The recipe can be found here: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/moderately-balanced-liquid-cake-v08

Thankyou.

The USDA recommended intake for Omega-6 is very high because it’s based on statistical studies of Americans, and Americans eat way too much of it. You already have plenty, based on a scientific understanding of what the substance actually does in your body.

Generally you’ll want about one to three times as much Omega-6 as Omega-3, assuming the Omega-3 comes from an animal source like fish oil. You’re fine as far as the balance.

I realize I should probably cite some sources, but I’ll let someone else do that. :stuck_out_tongue: Back to designing custom recipes for people! :wink:

Your fat numbers are not that bad. The 17g of omega-6 is just a suggestion and you as long as you get at least 3-4 grams of it your fine. As far as the omega-3 the highest safe max I’ve seen is 5g and your just under that so that looks good. My only suggestion would be to swap out the rapeseed oil for avocado and fish oils.

I am a little concerned that your only carb source is maltodextrin. Depending on which kind of maltodextrin it is and what its made out of that can have quite the sugar rush and crash.

You may also want to swap out the potassium gluconate for potassium citrate. Citrate has a much higher potassium per gram ratio and is only slightly more expensive. You will have to add a little less than half as much for maybe 10ish% higher cost per kilo.

@Alterius Dont drop the omega 6 levels below omega 3.

So the higher number Omega needs to be higher in volume :slight_smile: easy when you put it that way! Thanks

Really comprehensive post, thankyou.

Reassuring to know the Omega levels are in effect OK. I’m not sure if you can see - as by default the recipe seems to base off of the traditional U.S 2000 RDA guidelines template, but I calculated my own in the Nutrients calculator, which suggested 60g Fat rather than the 65g, so although it might look a little low, it was intentional.

Interesting point you raise about the Maltodextrin. I’ll do some research into this and see what I can dig up. Originally I was using porridge oats, but these were putting manganese through the roof, as the macronutrient ratio is 50% carb, 25% protein 25% fat.

I’ll also look into Potassium Citrate. I was only aware of gluconate and chloride - and couldn’t use chloride as I’d found a pretty decent balance with simple table salt which also covered the sodium. Between the 2, is there much other difference? At the risk of sounding incredibly simple and uneducated, I imagine the difference is negligble, but wouldn’t Potassium Gluconate have a better effect on the mind, as the brain laps up glucose?

I like to get my potassium citrate from BulkSuplements.com. From what I’ve read your body LOVES potassium and will readily absorb it no matter what form its in. I like potassium citrate because the citrate metabolizes as a bicarbonate in the blood which acts as a buffering agent and helps keep your body’s PH where it should be.

As far as I am aware potassium is not a nootropic and therefor has no particular affect on the mind. I will admit I know nothing on the subject of nootropics and may be wrong on that point. Potassium is an electrolyte and is of particular interest of all the cells in your body and will easily cross the blood brain barrier.

Nice catch on the citrate PH benefit. I was refering more to the gluconate portion of potassium gluconate when talking about the brain, because glucose is the primary fuel source of the brain, I’m led to believe.But I’m only just getting started in the wonderful world of nutrition, so it might not be worth it.

Today I’ve been researching alternative carbs that won’t put the manganese through the roof. Xylitol looked promising but was way too expensive, and didn’t come with the calories I needed. But your post did prompt me to learn more about Glycemic index/load. Sounds like the lower GI number the better for a Soylent I intend to live off.

The gluconate in various mineral supplements comes from gluconic acid not glucose specifically. In any case your bodies main glucose source is carbs, preferably complex carbs. A lot of people use masa harina as their carb source. I like Maseca’s instant masa. It is smooth and non-gritty like their other masa products I’ve tried.

Fantastic. Hopefully your Soylent Green uses the masa you describe, as I copied that ingredient directly to my recipe to get the values. It’s shaken a few things up, but everything is still well within tolerance. Vitamin B6 shot up to being the second highest value at 278% - bearing in mind my previous highest value was Sulfur at 286%. I’m still cataloging the exact changes to all values.

The only downside now is my Thiamin has shot from 146% to 538%! A shame indeed. I’m wondering if there’s any way of reducing that, but as it’s found heavily in the 3 most critical ingredients, I doubt it.

Thankfully thiamin is water soluble and has a high ul (I think), so I don’t think you need to be too worried about that aside from purity in philosophy (which is something I will aim for in mine).

I’ve been looking into Thiamin. There is not enough data available for anybody to recommend a ul. However, there are no reported adverse effects, and Thiamin has been linked to mental acuity! To quote wikipedia:

The RDA in most countries is set at about 1.4 mg. However, tests on female volunteers at daily doses of about 50 mg have claimed an increase in mental acuity. There are no reports available of adverse effects from consumption of excess thiamine by ingestion of food and supplements. Because the data is inadequate for a quantitative risk assessment, no Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) can be derived for thiamine.

So for this particular recipe, I’m happy. I’m designing it as a meal replacement with an emphasis on mental improvement.

However, like you, I’d love to aim for “the perfect 100” as I think that’s gotta be a fun journey. Love that term though “purity in philosophy” :stuck_out_tongue: