User experiences

Hey everyone, I’ve just successfully made my first completely-from-chemical soylent batch, and I’ve got some questions.

Firstly, I’m stoked that my batch looks identical to the photo posted by rob initially, and now I’ve got to deal with some of the hum-drum issues I’m going to be running into.

What kind of shelf-life does it have? (after being mixed with water)

I’m using KHCO3, but it’s more than 3x combined cost of ALL my other ingredients, what source of K are people using?

Vitamin A has continued to elude me, I found some sites offering it, but they weren’t pure, being mixed with soy / wheat products. Has anybody sourced a good, hypo-allergenic Vit A source?

Sedimentation, after a day sitting there, a fine white-sludge formed on the bottom, I assume it’s comprised of the not-so-soluble elements, but what’s a good way make sure it’s evenly distributed throughout the day?

I am trying to work in coconut oil (which is actually a solid at room temperature), anybody have any ideas/experiences with making it play nice / play homologous?

Fibre content, psyllium husks are readily available, and are a high quality source of dietary fibre, but they ruin the shake! turning it into an inconsistent puke-fest, how have people worked around this? At the moment I simply mix in my husks with the final few gulps of my shake and just deal with it.

And lastly, some of my observations:

It tastes substantially better at room temperature (~22C), I believe it’s because its taste profile matches meat the closest, and I’m not a cold-meat kind of guy. Also, the less pure your ingredients, the further from natural you would have to go to make it appetizing (evolutionary bio-science logic-leap), so if you’re finding you don’t like the taste at room temperature, you may have messed something up, trust your instincts!

Shockingly low viscosity, the dry ingredients had a volume around 1.1l, but dissolved quickly in water, and mine fizzed, requiring about an hour before it all became homologous and reached peak drink-ability.

I have bought little foil sachets, and I spend a Saturday filling them with my weekly doses, and simply pour them in when I’m ready to go.

I’ve found that several of his ingredients (at least in his original recipes) betray a fundamental lack of understanding of nutritional science. I recommend adding in Cre-Mono, oxidation-resistant fats, and leaving your omega acids in pill form. Several of his ingredients are completely unnecessary, and potentially toxic, and some other of his modifications over time have left me wondering.

As always, think twice, don’t die.

Addendum:

They are slaughtering the profits, I’m making mine with the buying power of one man, and I can produce this (and happily sell it) for less than them.

Source:
"$65
One Week’s Supply of Soylent"

I can currently replace an entire weeks worth of meals (using whey, and a body-builder oriented, major protein diet) for $45

Without me supplying macros (Lips, CHOs, & Pro), it would literally cost $1.70 / week

A lot to digest there. (ah ha! I will only make that joke once.)

As far as cost goes…

Funds raised from the campaign will be used primarily to cover up
front manufacturing costs, meaning the price will decrease with time
and scale.

I can’t really comment on your formula, but I’m actually really curious to see your recipe and how it differs. Also, I think by now a lot of the DIYers understand the toxicity of certain ingredients. Can you post a google doc or excel link?

Thanks!

Got a link to your exact recipe, and sources? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you are paying way more for your Potassium Gluconate than what it’s worth… :stuck_out_tongue:

Use powdered ones. :slight_smile:

Plus shipping cost, whatever type of Sales tax/VAT your country has, and payment for the time you spend making and packaging it. It’s fair enough though to ignore time spent talking to buyers, checking for their payment, etc - that shouldn’t be TOO much in comparison.

They ARE needed though, so the cost is still $45 plus all of the above :wink:

Sorry for bad replying, just moving houses and hard to keep on top of things.

Ahh, as much as I may not have approved of his original formula, I agree with his opinion that I don’t want to go publishing a list of what chemicals I’ve used. Many of my ingredients are extremely toxic, and I don’t think the average joe has the use of a microgram scale to ensure precision readings. That’s not to say I’m not open to it, I’m just cautious. (if this website has a messaging system, feel free to pm me any q’s you may have)

An example of where our opinions differ is that I don’t agree with his inclusion of an external sulphur source. Everything I’ve read agrees that sufficient, and suitable, protein supplementation should be more than necessary to fulfil an adult’s sulphur requirements. Coupled with his original thoughts on protein quantities, it just makes it really difficult for me to trust his opinion.

Actually, on that note, the original article only inspired me to finish my food project (and give me a nice confidence boost that I won’t die), all of my quantities are decided upon, first-hand, by me. I have different profiles for men and women (as they’re actually different), and am just concluding week 3.

rant/
Even further off topic, his blog, seriously?
"The economic and environmental cost of agricultural is a problem"
His blog actually inspired me to finish my project, literally because he is not somebody I want deciding what’s going into my body.
I’ll be watching the market closely, I see no reason for there not to be a soylent competitor.
/rant

You may think the macros are essential, but they really aren’t.
Many of my friends already have a relatively well balanced macro diet (chicken, lentils, rice), but they know they’re lacking certain vit/minerals.
With my current setup it’s no effort at all to create bespoke vitamin regimes.

I guess that’s how my vision of this differs from others, this isn’t just a food to me.