Using the official Soylent to lose weight

Continuing the discussion from Official Soylent Shipping Update:

Alon brings up something I’ve been wanting to ask.

While I understand that Soylent will hopefully eventually have a version for specifically helping to loose weight, what would I/we be deficient in if we tried to loose weight with the existing mix?

I believe the usual guideline is -500 calories than you need a day to loose weight and depending on various factors, depending on who you ask, ‘most’ males need somewhere between 2000-2200 calories a day to maintain. That being the case, if I were to only consume 1500 calories a day of the official Soylent recipe, what would I be lacking?

It all depends on how it’s packaged, so I can’t answer that for you. I know my DIY mixture was designed so that it’s easy to adjust fat and carb calories, and I’ve tailored mine to about 1560 kcal a day, which should lead to weight loss of 2 lb. per day. I’m about three weeks in, and I’m down 10 lbs. :slight_smile:

Thanks SuperRob! So you’re running at about 3.3lbs a week so far, not bad at all and I’d love to have the same experience though I have a feeling that the official Soylent recipe won’t be as good (I know I know it’s not meant for loosing weight).

How is everyone else doing on loosing weight since being on Soylent.

Actually, I just read that the oils are indeed separated into their own pouch, so it may be possible to cut the oil to reduce the caloric load. However, I don’t know what that would do to the overall nutritional balance. In other words, I don’t know what else the grapeseed oil might be contributing besides just fat calories.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/579/2

Basically nothing according to that. A good quantity of Vitamin E, but that’s in pretty much everything.

Excellent info, thank you very much. Maybe there is hope, if we ever see it!

This post would seem to suggest that varying the amount of Soylent consumed is not all that dangerous as far a micros are concerned.

1500 calories falls at right under 2/3

It’s lose, not loose.

Hey. You don’t know that. Maybe Soylent is secretly run by Adipose Industries. And then some guy comes in with a funny screwdriver. And then the fat is loose on the streets.

‘most’ males need somewhere between 2000-2200 calories a day

I doubt that’s true. There’s a huge amount of variability. Personally, I need well over 3000 calories to maintain my weight. It depends mostly on your weight and level of activity.

Here’s a calculator I found for calculating how many calories you need to maintain weight: http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

Not sure how good it is.

Of course, you could always count how many calories you eat on a typical day – that would probably be more accurate.

And I think cutting fat intake is a terrible idea. If anything, cut the carbs – they are less essential.

Though if it’s all premixed that might not be feasible, in which case you should just eat less soylent.