Vegan Amazon Sourcing (Redacted!)

I’ve made a new Spreadsheet for the Vegans amongst us:

Vegan Soylent

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with my numbers, or the intake %'s

The actual spreadsheet is based off of someone elses work. (I couldn’t find the original post, so I don’t know who to credit! If anyone knows, gimme a heads up. :D)

It’s a little pricey (Twice as much as normal Soylent)? But Vegan, partially Organic, and theoretically more absorbable+healthier.

I’m wanting to be lazy and not measure stuff with a scale, cause I’m lazy. Look to the “Ingredients” sheet for an easy to follow recipe. :smiley:

In addition to it being Vegan, I tried to also make it as Organic and Absorb-able as possible.

Take the Tums separately(And at a different times) from the rest of the mix so as not to interfere with absorption. (Unsure if it actually does, but better safe than sorry?)

I should have all of these ingredients soon, so I’ll post my results!

Additionally, I’ll be chewing this after each helping:
http://www.amazon.com/Xlear-Spry-Peppermint-Gum-600-Count/dp/B00124WBCS/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366242697&sr=1-3&keywords=gum

Note: The Omega 3 content is probably higher than I’ve listed. I’m not sure what the quantities are in Olive Oil (And perhaps Coconut oil?), the DHA-EPA pill, or the Hemp Protein. Suffice it to say, I believe this recipe should give plenty Omega 3’s.

Use these directions at your own risk, or be safe and don’t use them at all. :]

Quinoa Soylent formula

Not sure how relevant it is to using it for Soylent, but did you see this comment about the hemp protein? http://www.amazon.com/review/R1X2ZYKCKIVINB/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001OHX1ZY&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=3760901

O Nope. I’ll look into this further, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I thought this was interesting (comment on that review):

“Brendan Fraser (vegan athlete) wrote in one of his books that mixing
hemp protein, pea protein and brown rice protein makes the perfect
complete protein. He gave the quantities needed of each one, but I
forget that part. It’s in his book: Thrive Fitness… …There are
many benefits to avoiding dairy for protein, but one main benefit is
vegan protein powders aren’t extremely acid forming like dairy.”

Though the review author argues that hemp + pea protein is better than all three. That review seemed to have spawned a nice discussion. Seems this athlete made his own soylent-like smoothie.

You’re going to be significantly over your fiber requirements with this protein source. It says 50% protein, 20% fiber… To get 65 grams of protein you’ll also consume ~25 grams of fiber.

Yes, that’s true. I was wondering about that, does it matter really? I found an article relating to liquid diets that are high in fiber being a good thing. But it was for musclebuilders and such, not Soylent-minded. xP

Either way though, this shouldn’t be a problem as I’ve changed the spreadsheet to accommodate the new information. I’ve now got Pea Protein as my primary Pea source, and the Hemp Protein as a primary Fiber source. But am trying to balance the protein intake between them in a 40/60 split.

As it is now, Magnesium should be just barely over the desired proportions. Iron is at 8mg… Rob recommends more than that, but from what I’ve seen that’s exactly what’s recommended for Men.

My main worry now is about the Iodine supplement conflicting with the Multivitamin. Trying to decide if I should just go to individuals for what I’m using it to supply rather than the combo… But I haven’t really heard anything bad about the things it’s conflicting with/reducing the effect of itself or other elements(And I believe it’s cheaper the way I have it, plus there’s additional herbal things in it which is always nice), so I’m unsure.

Oh, sorry. I should probably mention what that conflict is. The Multivitamin gives 100% B6, and 200% B12. The Iodine supplement will add another 50% B6 and 500% B12 in the quantity I was planning on.

Higher fibre diets are not bad at all, and 25g is not at all dangerous. I just wanted to highlight that it’s not canon.

B6 and B12 are not harmful when consumed in excess of RDA.

Ahh yes. It should be much more in-line now.

And that’s good, but would taking excess in those reduce absorption of other nutrients? That’s the issue I’m wondering about most…

If I’m not mistaken, a teaspoon of Salt should actually cover the requirements for Sodium and Chloride. So that’s been edited into the spreadsheet.

i like that my workup is becoming the defacto standard for everyone else to rebuild off of

It’s a good, easy to use one. You should be proud! :smiley:

Anyone buy stuff from stores? I'm in Portland and I want to buy stuff tomorrow if I can

L-Theanine, Choline, and Lithium are now added into the spreadsheet.

I should also note that I have purchased everything on the Spreadsheet now, and it’ll prolly all be here by the middle of this week. So I’ll let you know how the first taste test goes! (Not optimistic! :smiley: Haha)

Are you sure the table sugar is vegan?

Also, quite interesting, vegan diets lack creatine. Some research has shown introducing creatine into a vegan diet improves recall:

Cow’s milk does contain creatine, and I presume by extension the whey in conventional soylent. It is not a large amount, like those taken by body builders, though I would not call it insignificant.

Plant based proteins presumably do not contain creatine.

Anyhow, thanks for the spreadsheet and I look forward to your results, are you willing to provide your health panels?

Table Sugar…? You mean table salt? I’m not using any. I’m using Himalayan Pink Salt. :smiley:

And that’s interesting, it appears you’re right, my current protein mixture does not have Creatine. However according to NOW Foods website, this Creatine supplement is Vegan:

I’ll add it to the spreadsheet.

As for health panels. I guess I hadn’t thought about it. I don’t see why not (Except that I might be lazy…). How would I go about getting them?

Find an internist or MD who is willing to write up the referral for a lab, @rob did it. I’m guessing it was in part out of pocket.

Was my mistake regarding the sugar, from another thread.

This is an example of the DHA caps: http://www.amazon.com/DEVA-Vegan-Vitamins-Softgels-90-Count/dp/B002XDQSSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366601050&sr=1-1&keywords=algae+dha

Would you mind linking to the article regarding soy’s negative side effects? I have heard it from many-a vegan at this point, but I’m extremely skeptical of hormone interference. From the ‘lazy’ perspective soy would be hard to beat.

I see the creatine in there now :sunny:

I may do that! Depends on my motivation. xD

I’m not sure why you linked the DHA caps? My spreadsheet includes these:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Flasxseed-Oil-vcaps-Nutrition/dp/B003DBDNXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366134968&sr=1-2&keywords=Flaxseed+vcaps

And the dosage is three capsules. Additionally, the hemp protein powder(Listed under Fiber) should have some trace amounts of ALA. I’m pretty sure this should be enough ALA needed for the body to synthesize the amount of EPA and DHA recommended.

Oh, and here’s the main article that steered me away from Soy protein:

I should note that, for it to be an issue, you probably need to have an Iodine deficiency(Which shouldn’t be the case since that’s included in this recipe). But I figured “Better safe than sorry!” I guess?

Thanks, I’ll just monitor iodine levels. Yes your body can produce DHA from ALA. Unfortunately I don’t think the amount of precursors directly correlates to percent metabolized into DHA. That being said I wouldn’t even bother with the flax seed or omega
3s and just use olive oil or some such.

It would only make sense for algae to show up in soylent at some point.

Yes, I agree that there probably isn’t a direct correlation. That’s why I’m going a little overboard with the dosage on the flaxseed oil.

One way or another, it’s a good idea to have a decent source of ALA:
http://www.supplementquality.com/efficacy/fishoil_flaxoil.html

Though it may be advisable to have an extra source for DHA and EPA as well.

Just wondering… why is there a question mark after “Potassium” on the spreadsheet?