Vegan formula success?

Continuing the discussion from Please review and criticize my new entirely Amazon-based formula:

How’s that going? Please let us know if you arrive at a vegan formula
Thanxx

Yeah I will try and have it filled out today. It’s not bad… just a little more pricey.

Is it? I swapped over to soy protein specifically because it’s cheaper than whey.

I have a sort-of-vegan formula (spreadsheet, recipe video). Soy protein is cheap, so that’s an option if you don’t follow the belief system that soy is bad. The trick is avoiding things that look like they should be vegan but aren’t; for instance, my soy protein isn’t vegan, because it uses lecithin derived from dairy.

Have you gone to truenutrition.com? They have a number of vegetarian and non-vegetarian proteins, and they allow you to create a custom mix. If you want to go vegan, I would recommend a mix of pea protein and rice protein. Soy protein is cheap, but it does also contain large amounts of phytic acid, so I would avoid it. There’s also hemp protein, but it’s a bit more expensive.

Yep I have a good mix from Truenutrition as part of the formula I am working up. I personally likely avoid Soy protein as much as possible. I am not personally convinced it is bad and I even have a fair bit of soy today, but I think there are better choices. Ultimately coming up with a Vegan version that matches the ratios I am looking for (4:1 carbs to protein) is proving a little tough. Some of the vitamins, etc; are not Vegan. I think I will have it done this weekend.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with soy. It’s just that soy really needs to be fermented to deal with the high phytic acid levels. Fermented soy products like miso, natto, tempeh and soy sauce are quite healthy. Soy has lots of nutrients and there are added benefits from the fermentation process. But other soy products, like tofu, soy milk, tvp and soy protein, I don’t believe are healthy.

There is a problem with the other vegan protein sources (pea, hemp, rice) and that is the taste. I have tried, whey isolate, soy isolate, and a hemp / rice / pea mix. The latter is considerably worse in terms of taste. It has a super super chalky aftertaste. On the plus side, you do (sortof) get used to it. After first taste I thought it was a wasted 1kg of protein, but it is now tolerable (though best drunk quickly to only get the aftertaste once).

Soy and whey are easily masked, but the rice / hemp / pea mix isn’t. It may be however individually one of these proteins isn’t so bad (but I doubt it ;)).

This stuff tastes so bad I can’t see many people tolerating it however. (I am stubborn and refuse to waste money ;))

There’s also wheat protein isolate. I’ve been using one from Ultimate Nutrition for the past couple of months. It’s not terribly expensive, 20g of protein for 3g of carbs, and 100 calories. It does contain some sucralose (my container says 1g of sugar), so that may be a turn off for some.

As far as completeness goes, though, it seems to be short on the daily values for a few essential aminos. It also only comes in chocolate and vanilla, but I remember seeing some other brands that have a flavorless option.

Wheat in general is starting to gain some negative attention, but it’s another option for us vegans/non-dairy go-ers