Vegan Optimizer Protein, ModCarb, Juice Powders

My first tested recipe - day 1. For this first one, cost is no object. I’m using bulk products from TrueNutrition and vegetable powders from ActivZ. My nutritional profile is LazyVegan.beta, which is based on the corrected US DRI. Vitamin A is high because I’m counting beta-carotene. I know it’s not perfect, but I think it’s pretty good for just carrots and kale.

I initially made it too thick. It took a lot of water just to get it blending. The final volume for one day was about 2L, but it should have been 2.5L. I made the same mistake with official Soylent. I still think I need fewer calories over all. I feel stuffed.

Otherwise, it seems fine. It tastes better this afternoon, so it would be better to make it the previous night. The kale powder has a strong flavor. It tastes just like kale, but it was a little overpowering at first. For the prototype, I dissolved the protein and carb into a mixed fresh vegetable juice. This was tastier, but that’s the fresh juice.

Oh - and no mustard gas so far!

I’m bumping my thread because I feel amazing on my recipe with fresh vegetable juice instead of kale and carrot powders. You can get the ingredients at TrueNitrition.com and your local organic grocer. I feel so good that I’m no longer worrying about the vegetable powders, just juicing fresh vegetables. It’s more work than Soylent but less than cooking. And now I have the energy!

My current vegetables: 1/4 head red cabbage, 4-5 carrots, 3-4 stalks celery, 7-8 large collard leaves, two cloves of garlic, nub of ginger, 1/2 red onion, one large zucchini. I centrifugally juice, then blend, adding water as needed. (Wrapping the collards around a carrot produces a nice quantity of green juice for me.) This produces about one liter of deep purple juice that turns green once the protein and carbs are blended in. I add water to make about 2 liters total.

I notice immediate energy, but I suppose that will depend on where you’re coming from. Over the last week, the effects seem cumulative. I was lethargic, now I’m bouncing off the walls. I drink it as fast as I can and want more!

My vegetable choices take my predisposition for kidney stones into account - no high oxalate vegetables, as far as I know.

Thanks for the update. Do you mind linking your recipe to this thread so others can see what you’re doing?

Sure it’s here. I’m gonna go make some right now!

O_O The Vitamin A and Folate levels on that thing… That would freak me out, but keep updating us on how it goes…

From my research, excess vitamin A and folate isn’t as much of a concern as it would be if these were supplied in their synthetic forms. Vegetable sources provide precursors, retinoids and folic acid, that are only converted as needed. The USDA charts count these the same. I’d have a hard time eating all of my healthy fruits and vegetables without getting these crazy numbers.

Updated recipe. 78% complete with just vegetable juices for vitamins and minerals. I’ll try to optimize the recipe with one of the software applicationss that are available.

I used the USDA Food Database. I also used a spreadsheet that I made from the SR25 database. I sorted the data for nutrients that were in short supply. This resulted in a very specific combination of vegetables and fungi that are high in uncommon nutrients and generally available to me…

If you want to try it, keep in mind that it’s vegan. You’ll need to supplement B12 and D on your own. The other zeros are nutrients that weren’t in the SR25. If anybody can tell me where to find this information, I’d appreciate it.

I’m surprised by the results. Collards are an all-around crucifierous greens base that juices easily. Cauliflower is for choline. Mushrooms for several minerals. Same with pal-choi, which I guess is aka bok choi. Celery is for sodium, and I think the dandelion greens are for niacin or thiamin.

This combination of vegetables is untested. I can’t wait to try it the next time I visit my grocer.