Vegan soylent for animal rights

I’ve been using a vegan recipe for DIY soylent (Hacker School Soylent), and it is delicious. As a long-time flexitarian, it is nice to be able to reduce meat/egg/dairy consumption without having to think about it or make any kind of special commitment. I just substitute my soylent for a meal, and it is automatic.

Also, soy protein isolate appears to be a LOT cheaper than whey. Whey is probably good for animal rights anyway when it replaces other non-vegan options (since it is a waste product of cheesemaking, so eating it is not exactly increasing demand for milk production), but soy is probably better still since it does not put extra money in the hands of dairy farmers.

Anyone else interested in Soylent from the animal rights angle? I’m not saying it is the primary reason I am interested, but it seems like an intriguing side effect.

Yeh. I was a vegetarian for a while, stopped because I was a terrible vegetarian (didn’t like vegetables). Soylent / protein powder makes it much easier to keep protein high for muscle gain etc without having to scoff vast amounts of animals.

It is pretty low down on my list of priorities though, but its definitely a bonus.

Thanks for making me spit on my screen.

The username “SaladFace” makes this even better.

Cool, the latest official Soylent uses vegan protein from pea and rice sources. Now I can recommend it to vegans and allergic-to-everything people. :smile:

since it is a waste product of cheesemaking, so eating it is not exactly increasing demand for milk production

That’s not quite how it works. If you buy whey, you drive up the price for whey, which means that the net gains from producing cheese go up, so they produce more cheese. It roughly comes down to how much it costs. Buying $1 worth of milk products will mean $1 supporting the dairy industry regardless of what part of milk it’s paying for. Since whey is cheap, that takes a lot more whey than it does straight milk.

It gets more complicated than that since the relative elasticities of supply and demand also matter, but I have no idea how I’d find what they are.

Smbc has something for everyone.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1722#comic

:slight_smile:

Yeah it’s more complicated than that… My guess is that switching from cheese to whey as a major amino acid source causes milk demand to drop at least somewhat (reduced profitability for cheese and hence for milk which is 4/5ths cheese protein), but switching from soy to whey would cause it to rise (increased profitability overall for milk).

Switching from cheese to soy (or another vegan source, like the new pea/rice formula) would certainly be the most effective way to reduce demand for milk, overall, and would work independently of scale. Conversely, enough demand for whey would drive milk production up even if demand for cheese was lower, but due to the much higher proportion of milk that is cheese protein (casein) it would have to be pretty high to have that effect (and this is unrealistic since people would just use casein instead if it was so much cheaper).

Do you mean you laughed so much you accidentally spat on your screen or that you didn’t like the reason she gave up being vegetarian and spat on the screen?

Good question. I wonder…

Well to tell the truth I am a meatatarrion this stuff is not going to cause any violent withdraw. Is it??

mack, its generally frowned opon to post on a 3 month old topic while adding essentially nothing of value.

that being said if you go into meat withdrawls a few CCs of bacon should clear you right up.

Author of the Hackerschool Soylent recipe here. I’m not vegan anymore (was for years), but I still care about animal rights more than the average omnivore, and I’m generally aiming to make my recipes vegan or vegan-friendly. (The All-Natural Soylent recipe I just posted uses milk, due to the some of the other constraints I was working with, but it could conceivably be made vegan with A & D-fortified soymilk.)