Vessels for soylent. beyond the shaker bottle

Yeah, uh-huh.  

This:

I’ve been using both for some time now, and they’ve been working reliably. Solid, and reasonably performant at keeping cold.

I also came across this kickstarter today - it looks like a very similar concept to some of the blender bottles from @CJB’s post, but closer to a regular bottle in look and construction. I’m a little hesitant at the writing quality, but the concept itself looks interesting for Soylent. I don’t know if it will make it to backing level (or if so, whether it will make it to product level), but $18 is probably not too terribly much to find out.

Imagine combining all of these into one kind of bootle. A glasstic (plasti-glass) bottle with rotors/motors.

I’m starting to prefer 16 oz Mason jars over blender bottles even at home. They’re cheap enough that you don’t care too much if you lose one, and they won’t hold smells. Just plop approximately 1/4 cup in there, fill it up to about an inch and a half shy of the top, shake, and you have something close to 250 calories.

The cons are you will spend more time rinsing, but the pros outweigh those.

I’m going to try the mason jar at work soon.

My favorite solution at work is Kroger slim rite bars. They are a knock off of slim fast, $1 each, about 180 calories. They’re not soylent bars, but close, and if you believe that getting exactly 100% RDA of everything matters, they’re not a real substitute, but I have seen no evidence that ringing that gong has any benefit, so I stick with the slim rite bars until real soylent bars come on the market.

In planning to purchase a half dozen half gallon canning jars for my diy maybe next month.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041SWYFQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1438210281&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=64oz+ball&dpPl=1&dpID=51l%2BQqKwbBL&ref=plSrch
Comparable in capacity to the official container at a small fraction of the price. Cheaper than the fancy Italian glass jar even and you never have to worry about the lid flipping open while you shake it.

I’ve started to buy 1 gallon jugs of water, drinking all except ~1.5 liters, then pouring a Soylent bag in the jug.

The 1 gallon jugs allow good mixing because of the extra room and they do not require cleaning.

I don’t think that there would be any environmental difference because cleaning the Soylent jug uses a lot of water (by hand at least), and the plastic jugs are recyclable.

This saves me a lot of time.

I had to order a set of food funnels, here is a good one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U5DIVM/

at work I use a small shaker bottle. put a third water first, soylent and sometimes a bit of leftover chocolate vegan protein i had laying around (just for taste). shake, top off with water, shake some more. drink. then to clean I find it really easy, but I clean it right away, rinse, shake, add a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, water, shake a ton, rinse. open it up and clean the threads etc. Mine doesn’t smell at all, but maybe it’s because the mixture isn’t staying in the shaker for long periods of time, just long enough to drink and then I clean within an hour.

before that I just kept a pitcher of soylent at work (soylent pitcher) and would pour myself coffee cups of soylent, sometimes mixed with some cold coffee. that worked fine too, except the mug was harder to clean, but that was soylent 1.4 which I think had something to do with it.

yeah, but aren’t you supposed to clean stuff before it goes in recycling. in my neighbourhood you have to rinse out completely any food residue from recyclables, but maybe it’s more to not attract animals and nothing to do with the recycling process? shit. i just answered my own question

Yes, they ask that you do. If items are too dirty then they will pull them out of the recycling line.

A quick rinse will remove 99% of the soylent in a 1 gallon jug.

To wash the reusable container I spend about 5 minutes with soap and water going through several rinses. I had left too much soap residue in the pitcher one time and after mixing a bag of Soylent it had multicolored bubbles and I had to pour it out.

I use stainless steel water bottles with screwtops. They are fine for shaking up and storing soylent. I would not use plastic, partly for the reasons you mention. It retains odors, and the jury is still out on whether plastic leaches unhealthy chemicals into your food. It is impossible to avoid for some things - I still use it for food storage - but you don’t want it for your soylent imo.

I use an insulated Contigo bottle.

I like Hydro Flasks. Nice size, easy to clean, and keeps drink cold.
http://www.hydroflask.com/products/hydro-flask-insulated-water-bottle-18oz-wide-medium

Last time I posted in this topic, I was trying 16 oz mason jars. I have since found that a 24 oz Blender Bottle is the most convenient. Just don’t wash the Blender Bottle with the lemon scented Joy that they keep at my work. That stuff is the reason I gave up on blender bottles. My bottles were holding the smell of the dish soap which made them seem unclean, I have not had this problem with any other liquid dish soap, and have been having soylent for all of my work meals this way for about a month now. The blender bottle holds about 750 calories worth which gets me through breakfast and lunch with no hunger on most days.