Vitamin Loss Due to Heating and DIY Soylent

Continuing the discussion from Pancakes and a Fizzy Drink:

I’ve been looking into this, and it seems that the concerns regarding cooking are disproportionate to the actual effect. Boiling vegetables is a much bigger problem than vitamins baked in a suspension, and the rate of loss even in the worst cases isn’t too severe.

True, vitamin c, e, etc., are volatile and will breakdown upon exposure to light, air, and heat, but it takes a LONG time for the total conversion. If you’re baking at moderate temperatures for a reasonable amount of time, the overall loss will be minimal - probably no more than 30% in the worst cases for soylent.

For example: Baked potatoes drop to around 68% of their original raw vitamin C content, but that’s for a cooking time of 90 minute - two to three times longer than you would bake soylent batter/dough. The majority of this loss would occur toward the end of the cook time when the internal temperature of the potato is highest.

Compare on nutritiondata.self.com for baked and raw potatoes of the same size (not weight/mass, since it changes during cooking) for the data on this.

Vitamin C is generally regarded as the most volatile of all vitamins, and the oxidation/degradation loss rate is much lower than most people think it is.

I saw a useful table on the USDA website (I think) not too long ago, but it looks like they took it down. Pity. It actually listed nutrient levels and varied cooking times in a table along a broad spectrum of foods.

WAIT! I FOUND IT!
The numbers in the tables are listed as percentiles of the raw ingredients, so it’s pretty easy to compare preparation methods. I side-saddled into this one via a google search, but apparently it’s on the main site, I just didn’t know what it was called.

Nutritional Impact of Cooking (Heat) Soylent?

thanks for this! I had no idea of how things did break down, but it was something to consider. Seeing this investigation of the issue, it appears that there’s not much to worry about.