WARNING - Amazon Review Keyword - "Unbiased"

Not directly related to Soylent but this concerns a site it’s currently being sold on, you may have heard of it? Amazon.com A lot of consumer reports-type sites have mentioned this but it doesn’t seem to have been fixed yet. If you see a product where 90% of the reviews say “unbiased” anywhere in them (of a coincidental 85% 5 Star rating spread), it’s a SCAM.

Whether it’s clothing, a cord, a gadget, a tool. It will be broken within a few months, maybe less, and by that time Amazon and vendors in general will not be liable for a replacement. This is also known as planned obsolescence, and it has wormed its way around review policy (as well as US federal codes) to be technically legal.

Here is an example product that started out with around a perfect 5 stars, then mysteriously ran out of stock and all new reviews are extremely critical or updated after the fact (and revised downward) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FUZE9QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can refer to the companies Amazon lists by default on the left row and if you don’t recognize the company name, hit CTRL+F (find function) and type “unbiased”. This doesn’t necessarily need to be disqualifying criteria but if almost every review contains this word, tread carefully.

The “unbiased” thing happens because of the free/discounted product disclaimers. “I received this product at a discount for my honest and unbiased review.” on a review for instance.

I don’t believe the people leaving the reviews mean harm or that it’s necessarily a scam. Just the way humans are we consider price in our satisfaction of a product. If you need a doohickey and spend the extra money to buy the most expensive doohickey you can you’re going to have higher expectations than if you purchase the cheapest. Translate that into ratings and if they’re both only average you’re going to rate the expensive one lower because it wasn’t better than average. And you might rate the cheapest one higher because even though it was the cheapest you got the same quality as average.

So you get the free/discounted products and because the reviewer paid very little for it even if the product sucks it can get a high review. A good product for the price, but they got a cheaper price than you get. Personally I ignore the discounted/free product reviews.

I recall watching this video about this exact thing a while ago. (It is for a service that filters these reviews out)

I know why it happens. It’s misleading. The vendor should be legally required to disclose how much each reviewer payed for the item (if at all). Otherwise saying the review is unbiased is a lie. Intent is irrelevant here, the process itself forces bias and makes people think the products are worth the price they’re being sold for.

I could understand if this was being used to get a vendors name out, maybe because nobody is buying the product in the first place. But it’s quite clear what it’s actually being used for. I just made this post because I’ve realized how much $$$ I’ve thrown in the trash by not looking for these scammers.

Some of us automatically look for the scammers. I get good results from user reviews because I can see the telltale signs of biased reviews; they are easy to pick out and not just because of some key word they use.

It might set your mind at ease to know Amazon is no longer allowing incentivized product reviews, except for books.

They aren’t removing old reviews, but aren’t allowing any new ones.

Not touching their Vine program though of course. :slight_smile: Those reviews are also questionable, going to the “good for the price” phenomenon.

Vine reviews? Is that like “professional” reviewers or something? I’ve seen a few of them but wasn’t sure what it meant

The Amazon Vine program provides free products to reviewers. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/vine/help?sa-no-redirect=1

It is directly related to Soylent. Most of the original 1-star Amazon reviews for Soylent were left by reviewers who clearly stated they never tried the product. And a majority of these reviewers had hundreds of reviews, because they were incentivized product reviewers. A couple even responded in the comment section to people that questioned their validity since they admittedly didn’t try Soylent that their integrity was flawless because of the number of reviews they left.

After seeing this thread I went back and looked at all the 1-star reviews. The majority of those reviews that admitted they would never try the product were removed. Although they did go into the comment section of other one-star reviews to express solidarity with each other that GMOs were bad, and/or that Soylent is made of people.

we must counter their solidarity with liquidarity.

Come, brothers, to the front lines!

Are you saying we should liquefy them? :yum: